Quatakai

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Hi All,

Last spring I installed MBRP catback with the downturn tip. It sounds great on it's own, and I wanted a downpipe as well so I bought an aFe catted downpipe. It's a bit over where I would want the truck to be for a noise level. And now that it's winter time and everything is cold and more "brittle", there's a lot more rattling coming from the inside of the truck, random plastic pieces etc that rattle in the dash and the cupholder area when I get on the throttle. It also rattled the kitchen windows in the house when I started it up in the attached garage, if that gives you an idea of how loud it was lol.

It was annoying enough to me that I put the stock catback portion of the exhaust back on for now.

Does anyone have any suggestions to lower the noise level? I like the sound of an aftermarket exhaust and I would like to hear it a bit more than what just a downpipe has to offer (not much noticeable over stock). I had a 3" downpipe + catback on my Focus ST and it wasn't nearly this loud. Would adding a resonator help? And if so, does anyone have any recommendations on resonators?

If a resonator isn't a great option, I've also been considering picking up a different catback entirely to see if there is a difference. The MBRP downturn catback seems practically like a straight pipe, and the muffler it comes with doesn't cut the sound down much. I've been wondering if the turn down was a bad idea with a downpipe, it basically forces all the noise to exit right under the truck bed, rather than out the back/side like a normal exhaust.

Links for the parts I have:

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/S...-Down-Cat-Back-Exhaust-Kit-304-Stainless.html

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/4...-Series-Down-Pipe-w-Catalytic-Converters.html
Sponsored

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
Could possibly try going to a muffler shop and having them cut off the stock muffler and maybe replace it with like a 40 series flowmaster? Would still have factory resonator and should be pretty tame even with a downpipe IMO. For what its worth I have the MBRP catback (not turn down) and a CATLESS spd performance downpipe. Mine is only obnoxiously loud when I romp on it. Otherwise at least to me its fairly tame. My Focus ST with a catback and catted downpipe was a bit louder IMO

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Put a cheap 3" round/canister resonator/muffler on the MBRP. Get the longest and largest around you can fit in a straight section. I have the same exhaust and there is room for a pretty big resonator/round muffler. As long as they are of a straight through design such as the muffler that came with the kit, there will be minimal if any backpressure increase/flow decrease, but sound will go down a lot. I have done this before on both turbo and N/A 4cyls and it works wonders. If I go with a DP in the future, which I probably will, this is what I will do.

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
Could possibly try going to a muffler shop and having them cut off the stock muffler and maybe replace it with like a 40 series flowmaster? Would still have factory resonator and should be pretty tame even with a downpipe IMO. For what its worth I have the MBRP catback (not turn down) and a CATLESS spd performance downpipe. Mine is only obnoxiously loud when I romp on it. Otherwise at least to me its fairly tame. My Focus ST with a catback and catted downpipe was a bit louder IMO
Do you happen to have a sound clip posted anywhere?

E Monty

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Ranger XLT/ā€˜03 Excursion
Occupation
Sheet Metal Worker
I would have the exact same set up as you. Interested to hear what this sounds like also. Both a cold start and in the cab clips if possible. How is the smell I keep hearing that I wouldnā€™t like? Canā€™t believe itā€™s any worse than older vehicles that Iā€™ve owned in the past. Notice any performance from the combo? Also my Wife is less than impressed with the sound as it goes so I gotta watch that!!

Reactions: Doc

RangerFitz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Danger
Would love to hear the sound of the afe downpipe with stock exhaust if you get a chance!!

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Fwiw, I have an spd catted downpipe and MBRP 3ā€ side exit. After a year with it and some road trips, Iā€™m ready to reduce volume and drone. This Saturday itā€™s going on the lift and Iā€™m putting a vibrant 1794 resonator before the muffler and adding a short flex pipe at the downpipe to exhaust connection. I do have some small leaks throughout so weā€™re just gonna weld the entire exhaust. I already have videos on YouTube of my current setup but Iā€™ll add some new one with the resonator and no more leaks.

FInoob

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
??
I have the same setup as the OP and added a Vibrant 1142 before the muffler. It helped but not much. I got a second one I'm going to put in after after the muffler.

Ranger2020zoomzoom

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Na
What did you do for the error codes from being catless?

Ranger2020zoomzoom

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Na
Fwiw, I have an spd catted downpipe and MBRP 3ā€ side exit. After a year with it and some road trips, Iā€™m ready to reduce volume and drone. This Saturday itā€™s going on the lift and Iā€™m putting a vibrant 1794 resonator before the muffler and adding a short flex pipe at the downpipe to exhaust connection. I do have some small leaks throughout so weā€™re just gonna weld the entire exhaust. I already have videos on YouTube of my current setup but Iā€™ll add some new one with the resonator and no more leaks.
What made you go with the 3 inch downpipe vs 2.5? Iā€™m torn between the two and want slightly more noise but no drone and am not sure which to go with. Have any advice? I do have a Livernois tune and an AFE 2.5 down pipe but it cracked ā€œbought it usedā€ and looking to purchase a new one just donā€™t know what size. I am currently running the upgraded down pipe to stock pipes/mufflers.

Grady

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger FX4, 17 Subaru BRZ Yellow, 11 Evora
Occupation
Manager
Had something similar. Had 3 inch dual exit MBRP axle back. Probably same muffler. Once I went with the 3 inch down pipe and full 3 inch exhaust had terrible drone on the highway. Added the big MBRP resonator and it is sill at the edge of drone but acceptable now. FYI the turbo response and under curve power is worth the 3 inch exhaust.
Sponsored