Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I’d like to add some gauges through the OBD2 port. Looking for the following:

Oil pressure
Oil temperature
Coolant temperature
Transmission fluid temperature
Turbo boost

I have an old Scangauge II that I can send in to be upgraded, but I’d rather have a graphical display. I would sure be nice to display on the Sync3 screen, but I wont hold my breath. I’m an Apple guy, so I have an assortment of iPhone/iPod/iPad models. It will probably live in the tray on top of the dash, with the wiring run up through the bottom. I’m not afraid of Android, but I’d have to buy something instead of rummaging through my junk pile.

If you’re running something that works, please share.
Sponsored

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
On Android you can use an app called Torque Pro and a BT ODB adapter to get gauges on Sync 3 via Android Auto. It's a pretty involved task to get working but here's a tutorial video

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I’d like to add some gauges through the OBD2 port. Looking for the following:

Oil pressure
Oil temperature
Coolant temperature
Transmission fluid temperature
Turbo boost

I have an old Scangauge II that I can send in to be upgraded, but I’d rather have a graphical display. I would sure be nice to display on the Sync3 screen, but I wont hold my breath. I’m an Apple guy, so I have an assortment of iPhone/iPod/iPad models. It will probably live in the tray on top of the dash, with the wiring run up through the bottom. I’m not afraid of Android, but I’d have to buy something instead of rummaging through my junk pile.

If you’re running something that works, please share.
I'm an Android guy, but I'm sure there are apps for IOS that will work also. I use the Torque app on and old Samsung Galaxy phone with a OBDII adaptor to show boost, Coolant temp and Transmission temp. Haven't found the PID loops for the oil pressure, oil temp or transmission fluid temp. Not sure if our trucks have them or not.

Here's a picture of my setup. The USB cable goes down to a USB power port plugged into one of the 12v sockets. Use the factory USBs for Android Auto and my Music USB drive
phone wiring 1.jpg

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
hopefully you will get a response lol
I've been hunting for an oil pressure PID and no joy so far. I've heard some folks actually wire in a pressure transducer for the oil and then just have it go to a wired up gauge.

I will be watching this thread with interest.

I've been using the OBDlink MX bluetooth and it is awesome. Torque PRO links easy and works great. :)

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I've been hunting for an oil pressure PID and no joy so far.
No factory oil pressure sensor. So no PID for it.
Its just a switch, anything over about 6lbs is full pressure as far as the switch or computer is concerned. Ford does this on a lot of engines.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No factory oil pressure sensor. So no PID for it.
Its just a switch, anything over about 6lbs is full pressure as far as the switch or computer is concerned. Ford does this on a lot of engines.
Hi Geo,

Back Story. 1975 F Series development. We had an option called the Gauge Package... The top brass during an evaluation noticed that the needles for oil pressure, coolant temp and voltage where all over the map. So the edict was to make the gauges such that the needles on the display were always at the 12 O'Clock position....so what did these "gauges" become...merely analog idiot lights pretending to be a gauge. Sheesh.

Off Track a bit. My racecar had gauges and the gauge were twisted to all sorts of positions. Folks would ask me why these gauges were clocked to weird positions. Reason was in racing you are focused on the track, racecars around you, hazards. You cannot afford to take your eyes off the track, mirror etc. The reason was that on a straight where you had a moment to divert you attention, a glance to see all needles were up at the 12 O'Clock position worked... a Needle at 9 O'Clock indicated a problem and probably best to shut down and save the motor than continuing racing. There you go... a UBI.... Useless Bit of Info... This is before digital gauges etc.

If you look at a restored old race car and the gauges are perfect....it is poorly restored...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Hi Geo,

Back Story. 1975 F Series development. We had an option called the Gauge Package... The top brass during an evaluation noticed that the needles for oil pressure, coolant temp and voltage where all over the map. So the edict was to make the gauges such that the needles on the display were always at the 12 O'Clock position....so what did these "gauges" become...merely analog idiot lights pretending to be a gauge. Sheesh.

Off Track a bit. My racecar had gauges and the gauge were twisted to all sorts of positions. Folks would ask me why these gauges were clocked to weird positions. Reason was in racing you are focused on the track, racecars around you, hazards. You cannot afford to take your eyes off the track, mirror etc. The reason was that on a straight where you had a moment to divert you attention, a glance to see all needles were up at the 12 O'Clock position worked... a Needle at 9 O'Clock indicated a problem and probably best to shut down and save the motor than continuing racing. There you go... a UBI.... Useless Bit of Info... This is before digital gauges etc.

If you look at a restored old race car and the gauges are perfect....it is poorly restored...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I love these backstories. Some OCD restorer probably "fixed" all the gauges. As you explained it, it makes perfect sense.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Process Professional
P.A. (or others that have this wisdom) has anyone that you know of come up with A) a nice a-pillar gauge trim piece and B) a good location where to put an electro-mechanical transducer for oil pressure on the 2.3? I am admitting laziness here as I figure they have and would likely be in a Mustang forum. :)

oohh....found a transducer for pressure and temp from Bosch....hmmm....

http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/cont.../en-GB/54042507144155019.html#/Tabs=54049291/

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Off Track a bit. My racecar had gauges and the gauge were twisted to all sorts of positions. Folks would ask me why these gauges were clocked to weird positions. Reason was in racing you are focused on the track, racecars around you, hazards. You cannot afford to take your eyes off the track, mirror etc. The reason was that on a straight where you had a moment to divert you attention, a glance to see all needles were up at the 12 O'Clock position worked... a Needle at 9 O'Clock indicated a problem and probably best to shut down and save the motor than continuing racing.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Lol. That's how we always setup the gauges in the various cars we ran on the dirt circle tracks. Made it so a quick glance at the gauges was all you needed. Oh those were the days. Many a Friday and Saturday night were spent out at Battleground Speedway running in either the hobby stockor limited modified classes.

tjanok

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I use ultraguage
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

I use this guy on all my vehicles that I don't feel like adding mechanical gauges to. Highly recommend.

The Android / Bluetooth ones are okay. (Like torque) but I hate having to dedicate a device for that, and sometimes it won't pair blah blah.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Process Professional
ultragauge is cool but there has to be a PID for it to work. and there is no PID for oil pressure. :(

OP
OP

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I’ve been doing a bit of digging, and it looks like there is also no oil temperature sensor. I’m spoiled by BMW. It looks like the Scangauge might be enough.