Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
99% of drivers will never use them. They'd be on a lot fewer trucks if Ford couldn't upcharge them as a fashion accessory.
LOL, I think I have added many "fashion" accessories to my truck. I'd like to think they were all practical, but many just made me feel good.
Sponsored

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Good point with fleet sales - that's such a HUGE part of Ford's business.
You would think that they would substitute a damper for the tow hooks on those sales, though, to reduce the exposure to lawsuits for a tailgate opening too quickly and causing injury.

@AzScorpion - maybe you could use this as a marketing idea for Ford. If it works, I would be satisfied with a $0.01 royalty on all dampers sold to Ford.

OP
OP
subquark

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
You would think that they would substitute a damper for the tow hooks on those sales, though, to reduce the exposure to lawsuits for a tailgate opening too quickly and causing injury.

@AzScorpion - maybe you could use this as a marketing idea for Ford. If it works, I would be satisfied with a $0.01 royalty on all dampers sold to Ford.
Slippery slope with that damper perspective.

Yes, you could use one to reduce STIS (sudden tailgate impact syndrome) but you then open yourself up to TAD lawsuits (tiny arm disorder).

Good thing bigger brains than me figure out this stuff! =p

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Another alternative is hitting up junkyards or online ones. Should be able to grab the whole package of bits for half of what factory charges.

Then you also have Ford points to use at the parts counter if you still have them to use.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder about that too. On my old FJ40, the hooks are pretty solid and I never thought twice about a running yank on a rope or even chain. Those good old days before all this "dynamic" stuff. =D

I should have 240 volt to my garage in the spring, so I may fabricate my own (I fabricated the mechanical PTO winch mount on that old FJ and it could have pulled that ting up a cliff).

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts on that.
ya thats my only concern is they are made by rc and they are known for well not so great stuff so id stay with the oem even thou i agree i like how the rc looks better for me its just not worth the risk

fj you say?

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I use that...THE best option IMO...
have you needed to be recovered with them yet? because thats my concern with them... they dont seem to be thick material on where they bolt in and seem to me only for looks not an actual location for a winch or a snatch strap to hook onto

OP
OP
subquark

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
ya thats my only concern is they are made by rc and they are known for well not so great stuff so id stay with the oem even thou i agree i like how the rc looks better for me its just not worth the risk

fj you say?
A 1972 FJ40 Land Cruiser that I've driven since 1976 and I just passed it on to my daughter who'd like to restore it.

The young helping the old.
tojo-trailered.jpg

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A 1972 FJ40 Land Cruiser that I've driven since 1976 and I just passed it on to my daughter who'd like to restore it.

tojo-trailered.jpg
holy shit that thing is epic!!! ive been trying to buy my dads 74 bronco off him for years but so far no dice!

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Slippery slope with that damper perspective.

Yes, you could use one to reduce STIS (sudden tailgate impact syndrome) but you then open yourself up to TAD lawsuits (tiny arm disorder).

Good thing bigger brains than me figure out this stuff! =p
That is also true, on the other side. "I was unable to maintain my job or fulfill my personal obligations caused by TAD" I can hear it now...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
have you needed to be recovered with them yet? because thats my concern with them... they dont seem to be thick material on where they bolt in and seem to me only for looks not an actual location for a winch or a snatch strap to hook onto
I have not but I'm confident it will do the job...same gauge as the factory hook plate...I doubt they'd sell this with potential weakness that would destroy their company if one went off decapitating their customer....

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have not but I'm confident it will do the job...same gauge as the factory hook plate...I doubt they'd sell this with potential weakness that would destroy their company if one went off decapitating their customer....
ill be honest here its rough county... they have never been known for quality stuff thats my concern now if it was another company id be less skeptical about it.. hopefully it wont but you never know tbh

Last edited:

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
shwoops i messed up my msg i fixed it lol

OP
OP
subquark

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
holy shit that thing is epic!!! ive been trying to buy my dads 74 bronco off him for years but so far no dice!
A '74 Bronco is really nice, what a classic and iconic design. Keep at it, it would be a fun one to cruise in. =)

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A '74 Bronco is really nice, what a classic and iconic design. Keep at it, it would be a fun one to cruise in. =)
yuuup ive been trying since i was 15? and im 27 now and still nothing haha

ive always wanted to lift it just a little bit and put some slightly larger tires and better wheels on it and just drive it around town for fun the down side is its the 2 year only inline 6 and a 3 on the tree which if anyone has driven one knows they suck haha so ive always thought of a swap as well but wait and see if he ever gives it to me or allows me to buy it....

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

tojo-trailered.jpg
@M SPEC has one hell of a nice one of these...
Sponsored