Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
@P. A. Schilke

Hey Phil,

Back in March I finally got ahold of my Grandpa's 1994 F150. Nothing fancy, just equipped with the 4.9 with the E4OD 2WD XL and AC(no cruise control unfortunately). Even though it is in rough shape I plan on fixing it up just because it was my Grandpa's truck that he bought new.

Now onto the question that has to do with the Transmission. To you knowledge was there some kind of economy type shit point in the PCM on that truck? The reason I ask is when I first start it and I'm doing a heavy acceleration the truck will shift into 2nd at 30ish and 3rd at 50-55ish. After I'm in 3rd and start to climb a hill i will keep my foot in the throttle and when the speed gets down to about 55 it will shift into 2nd and hold until close to 65. After that the Transmission will shift a bit more normally like going I to 2nd at 35-40 and 3rd at 65.

What has been done to the truck? Stock with the exception that I installed 265/75-15's and stock was 235/75-15. I did calibrate the speedometer so it would be accurate.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.
Sponsored

diesel924

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Escape
Occupation
Fire truck mechanic
I remember back in the day I had some of those transmissions in my diesel fleet. For that symptom the first thing we'd do would be to set the MLPS, manual lever position sensor, with a plastic gauge block at the injection pump. I bet you have to do the same thing with a gas engine. I still have that gauge block in my tool box, I never get rid of anything. Can you check for codes in this old girl?

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I remember back in the day I had some of those transmissions in my diesel fleet. For that symptom the first thing we'd do would be to set the MLPS, manual lever position sensor, with a plastic gauge block at the injection pump. I bet you have to do the same thing with a gas engine. I still have that gauge block in my tool box, I never get rid of anything. Can you check for codes in this old girl?
It's OBD 1 so codes never stay. Also there isn't an injection pump since its gas so I'm not sure how that tool would even help

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@P. A. Schilke

Hey Phil,

Back in March I finally got ahold of my Grandpa's 1994 F150. Nothing fancy, just equipped with the 4.9 with the E4OD 2WD XL and AC(no cruise control unfortunately). Even though it is in rough shape I plan on fixing it up just because it was my Grandpa's truck that he bought new.

Now onto the question that has to do with the Transmission. To you knowledge was there some kind of economy type shit point in the PCM on that truck? The reason I ask is when I first start it and I'm doing a heavy acceleration the truck will shift into 2nd at 30ish and 3rd at 50-55ish. After I'm in 3rd and start to climb a hill i will keep my foot in the throttle and when the speed gets down to about 55 it will shift into 2nd and hold until close to 65. After that the Transmission will shift a bit more normally like going I to 2nd at 35-40 and 3rd at 65.

What has been done to the truck? Stock with the exception that I installed 265/75-15's and stock was 235/75-15. I did calibrate the speedometer so it would be accurate.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.
Hi Chris,

I had direct involvement in the development of the E4OD using Off Road Racing. The E4OD was our first electronically controlled transmission. We raced this transmission in the Trick or Trophy Truck class and made 47 substantive changes in the trans prior to production...Racing can improve the breed.

I was not directly involved with the actual calibration work, but what you describe is the shift point change programed into the transmission for emissions where the shift points are "adjusted" for cold starts vs. warm operation as cold starts are where most of the HC emissions are generated.

Make sense?

Best,
Phil

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
How many miles? E4ODs were not the best. Behind the 300 it should last a while. They do require service, an old filter amd fluid can cause less desirable shift points. Depending on what you are used to, an old 3 speed like that will be a big difference. Those were essentially a 3 speed with an overdrive that counted as a 4th gear.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Chris,

I had direct involvement in the development of the E4OD using Off Road Racing. The E4OD was our first electronically controlled transmission. We raced this transmission in the Trick or Trophy Truck class and made 47 substantive changes in the trans prior to production...Racing can improve the breed.

I was not directly involved with the actual calibration work, but what you describe is the shift point change programed into the transmission for emissions where the shift points are "adjusted" for cold starts vs. warm operation as cold starts are where most of the HC emissions are generated.

Make sense?

Best,
Phil
That does make a bit of sense except it can drive for quite a while until it does the change in shift. That said I may have plenty of things to look at and fix to help correct the issue(its a bit of a nightmare)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That does make a bit of sense except it can drive for quite a while until it does the change in shift. That said I may have plenty of things to look at and fix to help correct the issue(its a bit of a nightmare)
Hi Chris,

You might change out the ECT and make sure the coolant is topped off. Low coolant level is more common than you can believe... 4.9 straight six was a bulletproof motor.... A slug, but a bulletproof slug....

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
How many miles? E4ODs were not the best. Behind the 300 it should last a while. They do require service, an old filter amd fluid can cause less desirable shift points. Depending on what you are used to, an old 3 speed like that will be a big difference. Those were essentially a 3 speed with an overdrive that counted as a 4th gear.
I'm aware that the Transmission requires regular service way more often than the Ranger. Unfortunately to my knowledge I don't believe it ever way serviced once and it has over 180K. If I try to service it I will be walking. As for the E4OD being a great transmission or not? In general its a good transmission, it just may need a few improvements if trying to add power and stuff. A great example, I plan to change the cam in the engine along with a basic cat back exhaust and then probably add a finned transmission pan with drain plug and the inline transmission controller from Banks. I wont be gapping Corvettes but I feel the truck will get the right boost of power like such

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Chris,

You might change out the ECT and make sure the coolant is topped off. Low coolant level is more common than you can believe... 4.9 straight six was a bulletproof motor.... A slug, but a bulletproof slug....

Best,
Phil
I will agree with you on that. It's hard to kill an inline 6 regardless of manufacture. As for power I plan on changing the cam and a basic cat back to help it out.

As for the coolant I will definitely check it out. If I remember correctly it is leaking around the thermostat and it wouldn't hurt to get a OEM thermostat

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I'm aware that the Transmission requires regular service way more often than the Ranger. Unfortunately to my knowledge I don't believe it ever way serviced once and it has over 180K. If I try to service it I will be walking. As for the E4OD being a great transmission or not? In general its a good transmission, it just may need a few improvements if trying to add power and stuff. A great example, I plan to change the cam in the engine along with a basic cat back exhaust and then probably add a finned transmission pan with drain plug and the inline transmission controller from Banks. I wont be gapping Corvettes but I feel the truck will get the right boost of power like such
Well I guess my view on the E4OD is jaded. It had one behind a powerstroke and tye newer iteration 4R100, neither liked the amount of power and abuse. The banks controller works wonders for that trans. I had it and would highly recommend it. There is almost zerp risk in dropping the pan and changing the filter. That could clean up your shifts as well. Worth a try. Behind a 4.9 it should be fine. 300ft lbs vs a 7.3 pushing 450 or so is a large difference.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
My view on the E$OD is also jaded. Not strong enough for the diesel. I put a shift kit and a stronger convertor. Ford Diesel.com has well reported on this, as well as a Ford trans engineer on that site.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
It's OBD 1 so codes never stay. Also there isn't an injection pump since its gas so I'm not sure how that tool would even help
Brings back the memories. Our '88 Ranger had the EECIV/OBD 1 processor. I didn't have an OBD scanner at the time, so I used a voltmeter, counted the needle pulses to get the trouble codes.

Going to the somewhat standardized trouble codes for OBDII was a big leap forward.

Before EECIV, one could connect a MityVac (Remember those? Still have my second device) to the vacuum port on the EEC processor and count the vacuum pulses to get the codes.

If my memory still serves me, EEC-I was first used in 1975 to operate the Motorcraft Duraspark ignition system. EEC-II was deployed later in the '70s to operate the Duraspark unit and the electronic Variable Venturi carburetors (Ford's Lean Burn equivalent).

EEC-III was deployed around 1980 when EFI was first introduced in Ford products (Lincoln Town Car).

Keep in mind the first, reliable automotive EFI was introduced by Bosch in 1968. Chrysler introduced an unreliable Bendix unit in 1958 and was quickly pulled.

Chrysler continued making a mess of things with the Lean Burn system of the mid to late 70s, although my elderly sister and her husband owned a 1978 Volare Wagon with the 225 2bbl Lean Burn system that never gave them any trouble - Volare rusted out unfortunately.

Chrysler's first gen EFI of the early '80s was a mess until they got their act together by 1984. Ford and GM had better track records with their early EFI - computerized carburetors, although they had their issues too. Seems like from the mid '80s forward, the electronic engine controls were mostly worked out.

1968-vw-volkswagen-fastback-squareback-car-and-computer_1_orig.jpeg

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My view on the E$OD is also jaded. Not strong enough for the diesel. I put a shift kit and a stronger convertor. Ford Diesel.com has well reported on this, as well as a Ford trans engineer on that site.
Well it's a good thing my truck isn't a Diesel then huh?

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Well it's a good thing my truck isn't a Diesel then huh?
Basically, but remember you can always swap in a ZF-5. I had one behind a 4.9 for a while there in an F350 dually with 4.10s. What a riot.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We ran one in the desert in an Excursion with a modifiedd 7.3L diesel. We called the trans Ultra diesel E4OD...ran two years of Best in The Desert races...no failures or trans problems and Navistar mod hp was way over the top for torque and HP...

Most E4OD issues were in the electronics and the valve body.

And, yes, the OD was 4th gear...3rd was 1:1...

Best,
Phil
Sponsored