2003 Ranger Question

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Wondering if anybody here knows enough about the older Rangers to answer this. Getting ready to upgrade from my 2003 (XL, with the 2.3L 4cyl and manual 5-speed) and trying to resolve an issue before selling it. I've got an intermittent startup issue that other forums suggest could be caused by a slowly failing DPFE sensor. So my question is, does my pickup actually have a DPFE sensor? The Haynes manual gives instructions for replacing one "if equipped," but doesn't specify which models are equipped with one. Auto parts stores list one as compatible with my pickup, although I've had their compatibility listings be wrong before. For the life of me, I cannot find anything that resembles one anywhere under my hood.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
DPFE sensor should be a little square box with 2 hoses coming out of the bottom and a wire plug connected on the face located next to or in proximity to the EGR.

OP
OP
jsphlynch

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
DPFE sensor should be a little square box with 2 hoses coming out of the bottom and a wire plug connected on the face located next to or in proximity to the EGR.
Thanks for the response! I've found some great pictures of what the sensor supposedly looks like (assuming the auto parts shops are showing the right part), so I'm pretty confident I know what I'm looking for. I'm reasonably certain I've located the EGR behind the engine block above the transmission. It's very hard to see back there, but even slipping a camera down there or feeling around I can't locate the sensor. Is there anything I can look for that it would have if it didn't have a DPFE sensor?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the response! I've found some great pictures of what the sensor supposedly looks like (assuming the auto parts shops are showing the right part), so I'm pretty confident I know what I'm looking for. I'm reasonably certain I've located the EGR behind the engine block above the transmission. It's very hard to see back there, but even slipping a camera down there or feeling around I can't locate the sensor. Is there anything I can look for that it would have if it didn't have a DPFE sensor?
Hi Jsphlynch,

I am really foggy on 2003 Ranger 2.3L, as I was involved with the Firestone fiasco and did not support the 2003 launch...I believe the DPFE location remained the same as 2002, but not positive...see the pix...

DPFE.JPG

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
jsphlynch

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Hi Jsphlynch,

I am really foggy on 2003 Ranger 2.3L, as I was involved with the Firestone fiasco and did not support the 2003 launch...I believe the DPFE location remained the same as 2002, but not positive...see the pix...

DPFE.JPG

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil, but it looks like they did move it. See my picture.
20191229_131029.jpg

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I believe it could also be plastic. If I remember correctly the OEM ones were aluminum and prone to corroding causing issues so they were usually replaced with plastic ones.

OP
OP
jsphlynch

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Discovered that the vapor canister purge valve wasn't closing all the way, which apparently can yield the same symptoms. Replaced that, and so far so good.

As long as I can get the price on a 2019 to come down just a little bit more, I'm just about set for my upgrade :clap:
Sponsored