Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
every house, business, building, shack with 110/120v electricity has enough power to supply the charge for average persons daily mileage needs
Sponsored

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Auto manufacturers making this hard push to EV's but will be facing significant challenges moving forward. The charging Infrastructure to support them on a national scale is decades away from remotely being able to support them like gasoline. Then there's the aging power grid to contend with. As we have just recently seen in California when their grid was on the verge of collapse and they were all but begging EV owners to hold off charging when possible. What do they think will happen when there are 50+ million EV's out there and the additional strain they will put on the nation's grid? Unless there is massive updates made to the grid it won't be pretty. What about the environmental impact caused by mining the rare earth minerals needed to produce many of the components in the batteries alone? Oh sure the care produces no carbon itself, but how many additional hundreds of millions of tons of carbon would produced in the mining, refining, distribution, manufacturing, and increased power generation needed to support them on the scale they are wanting? All this for a EV that in most cases cannot make it 200 miles per charge under current battery technology. One of the guys I work with has a Tesla 3 and has the 82Kw battery upgrade and he says he usually gets just over 200 miles per charge. He told me it takes 6-10 hours to charge it it back up daily and that his electric bill has increased on average $70 a month since getting the car.

IC powered vehicles are not going away any time soon, but eventually will be phased out due to state and federal gov. pressures. Even then it will be quite some time before EV's are ready for prime time.
All good points, but.... I noticed you pointed out Calif 's grid was on the "Verge" of collapse, not actually true, when in Texas your grid "did" collapse. Many people who have 'commuter' EV's, that is to say a EV they use for mostly local work commute or errands (90% of car use) use home solar systems to fully or partially charge their EV. I have a 6KW solar system with Tesla Powerwalls to both power my home and charge my wife's car. Yes, on cloudy days or in winter we use some grid power, and building up and modernizing the grid should be a priority. There are two new Nuclear power plants being built in the mid-west and I suspect there will be more as the need for power increases due to population pressure and EV's. We really need to reduce our use of fossil fuels, be it Nuclear, Thermal, solar, wind, or Hydrogen, or a combination of these as we do now. Your friend who had his electric bill increase by $70 would have spent an average of $800 in gas for the same amount of miles, a month! that's a $730 savings, which would pay for the car.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
When I can get 400 miles and fill up in 10 minutes I’ll get an EV. Until then I’m not interested.
We're already getting close to that. A lot of this high powered chargers can give like 200-300 miles in 15-20 mins. Plus, a vast majority of people don't drive very far on a daily basis and you'd probably do most of your charging overnight at your house.

I have a reservation in on the Lightning, and a 300+ daily range would be plenty. I would probably do 90+% of my charging at home, and only stop at stations on long trips.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
My only problem with this statement is the fact that every summer were I live we face the threat of rolling blackouts due to supply issues and people wanting to run their Air conditioning. I don't even want to think about the impact that increased EV charging would have on the already overtaxed system. I addition to that What do you do when the grid does in fact fail and you need to leave? If the car is not charged due to the grid failure, for me it is the threat of wildfire and the need to evacuate, it is not like you can have spare battery packs on standby for grab and go like you could have with IC and some gas cans ready to go.
Two options: 1) you can wring your hands and bemoan the fact that nothing will ever work, or 2) you fix the grid. 100 years ago the USA would have chosen #2, I guess today the only option is #1.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
We're already getting close to that. A lot of this high powered chargers can give like 200-300 miles in 15-20 mins. Plus, a vast majority of people don't drive very far on a daily basis and you'd probably do most of your charging overnight at your house.

I have a reservation in on the Lightning, and a 300+ daily range would be plenty. I would probably do 90+% of my charging at home, and only stop at stations on long trips.
I just know someone not gonna realize their ev is low on juice after not realizing their charger didnt work overnight. Haha

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
Two options: 1) you can wring your hands and bemoan the fact that nothing will ever work, or 2) you fix the grid. 100 years ago the USA would have chosen #2, I guess today the only option is #1.
Trust me, You don't want me fixing the electrical grid (while I do know how to wire things up, I have no experience in generating electricity on a large scale). While I agree that the problem can be solved with enough money thrown at it, I do not see anyone breaking out the checkbook anytime soon. While I do not think EV is a bad thing, I do not think as a country we are anywhere close to being where we need to be to adopt it on a full scale or even large scale basis.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Trust me, You don't want me fixing the electrical grid (while I do know how to wire things up, I have no experience in generating electricity on a large scale). While I agree that the problem can be solved with enough money thrown at it, I do not see anyone breaking out the checkbook anytime soon. While I do not think EV is a bad thing, I do not think as a country we are anywhere close to being where we need to be to adopt it on a full scale or even large scale basis.
I get it, that's why when there was basically zero electricity across the country 100 years ago, they just stuck with kerosene rather than, you know, creating the grid from scratch--because doing things is so much harder than sitting around doing nothing and coming up with reasons why nothing can change or improve.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The largest forest fire ever in Az was started by a Prius EV burning to the ground on a highway. Every Bolt built by GM is being recalled because they catch fire.
Sponsored

Last edited: