A Few North Georgia Pics

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Had the chance to get out today to the National Forest. For those in the area, I drove Nimblewill Gap (FS 28-1), Winding Stair Gap (FS 77), and Coopers Gap (FS 42).

Here's a few pics. Was cold up there. The one pic on the rock wall is all icycles. Not sure if you can see it or not in the pic.

Pretty easy forest service roads. Bumpy, but not challenging. Nice views with the leaves not back out yet.
20230318_132014.jpg
20230318_132041.jpg

20230318_134032.jpg

20230318_141908.jpg
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Lots of large groups of campers up there today. Too cold for me.

I'll be going back in a few weeks though, in this:

tent.jpg
let us know how you like the tent. it looks better made than others i have seen. can you drive with the tent set up? clearly not on road as it covers tail lights but on trails?

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
let us know how you like the tent. it looks better made than others i have seen. can you drive with the tent set up? clearly not on road as it covers tail lights but on trails?

we've only spent one night in it so far, in great weather. was good for that. easy to set up and take down.

we got an air mattress that inflates in about 10 seconds, and put a memory foam thing on top of that, so it's comfy. Also have the accompanying SUV tent to add a room, but haven't used that yet.

I haven't tried to drive with it. I would think it'd have to be strapped down well, and I'd probably be afraid it'd tear somehow.

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Awesome. I’ve done those same trails, my kids loved it. I want to take them camping when it warms up. Any spots you would recommend?
I'm just getting into camping up there. Lake Conasauga is a favorite (highest lake in GA, spring fed, cooler in summer there than everywhere else). Went by DeSoto Falls yesterday. Nice enough, with nice picnic and fishing areas in the creek adjacent to it. trails to 2 falls nearby. I found Upper Chattahoochee River campground on USFS site, which sounds nice. Neaby falls to hike to, and trout fishing in the river. I'll go check that one out.

I don't know yet how I feel about the dispersed camping sites, but there are tons of them. I did see one yesterday off Cooper's Gap I may go to. Have to drive a few hundred yards off the road to get to it. There was one other right on the top of a ridge that had amazing views that you can drive into as well.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I've explored a little in N. GA. Haven't taken my Ranger yet, but it's been in my rotation for mountain biking for some years now. Have been to the Mulberry Gap area a couple times (Bear Creek Trail, Pinhoti 1-3, etc). I also have a friend with a cabin near Blue Ridge, so I've been over that way, too.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
we've only spent one night in it so far, in great weather. was good for that. easy to set up and take down.

we got an air mattress that inflates in about 10 seconds, and put a memory foam thing on top of that, so it's comfy. Also have the accompanying SUV tent to add a room, but haven't used that yet.

I haven't tried to drive with it. I would think it'd have to be strapped down well, and I'd probably be afraid it'd tear somehow.
thank you! ive looked at similar tents and thought i dont wanna mess with all the setup. yours looks like less hassle.

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
I think this one was something like $100 as a "like new" open box on Amazon.

We figured if it's a dud, we didn't lose much. So far, so good.

The companion tent that goes with it (SUV tent it's called), was quite a bit more.

thank you! ive looked at similar tents and thought i dont wanna mess with all the setup. yours looks like less hassle.

ReigleCM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
NASA Geospatial Analyst
OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
I've been on parts of it at various times, but not the whole thing.

We've only used the our bed tent once, and already the wife is sending me links to overland bed racks and roof top tents.

If we get that stuff, then I am sure we'll take a few days in early summer and do it end to end.

Been all over North GA when we used to live in upstate SC. Have you looked into the Georgia Traverse? It's a great trail!

https://www.georgiaoverland.com/georgiatraverse.html