First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Great call on the brake controller, it's a bummer that it doesn't come with the tow package. It doesn't look too bad to install, but I'm terrified of breaking trim clips and you gotta move a lot of trim for it (I don't unsderstand why it has to wire to the third brake light? Seems like all that info must be available near the fuse panel ...).
I've yet to install a controller, as all my towing with the Ranger has been with surge brakes.

But this is my understanding. It is possible to tap the brake light signal at the BCM under the dash. The pin has been identified here. But the Ford kit is designed to not have to tap a wire. It's plug Ts in at the point where the wiring harness plugs into the CHMSL. Using plugs is probably more foolproof than tapping.
Sponsored

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
From what I have experienced so far the Ford controller is smarter than any controllers I have had in previous trucks. I don't know how it works but it seems to monitor the speed sensors and adjust gain accordingly for very smooth stops at any speed with varying loads. I definitely am glad that I went with the integrated version and didn't try to save a couple dollars on a generic controller. Sure would be nice if Ford had included it with the tow package. I definitely would be wary of a controller that doesn't work with the auto braking should it engage.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
If you don't use it often, make sure the tires are inflated fully, you have a spare tire, the battery is charged, and in some states, a net is required over the load.
Sponsored