First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Military
Hello everyone, I have a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 and have been doing a lot of off roading lately. I recently put my ranger into 4 Low the last time I was out on the trail and was in neutral at a dead stop. And when it went into 4 Low the transmission went into 2nd gear automatically. Again, I was at a dead stop and the car was in 2nd gear and I wasn’t sure why it did that and the car was like shuddering a little and it felt like it wasn’t supposed to be doing that. The car did drive and I went over some rocks and it was fine, but when I came back to a stop it still wouldn’t down shift into 1st gear. If anyone can help me out and let me know if this is normal or if it should be going into first gear that would be great. Or if anyone else has tried 4 low and it starts in first gear. Thanks.
Sponsored

RVA Overland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I have not tried yet, but did you try putting in sport mode and shifting to 1st?

OP
OP
NB619

NB619

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Military
I have not tried yet, but did you try putting in sport mode and shifting to 1st?
Yes I shifted the car Manually into first but I don’t know why it wouldn’t do that by itself

OP
OP
NB619

NB619

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Military
No one mine...I'd go have it checked out...
So it doesn’t do that on your ranger?
it doesn’t start in second?

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I believe it did the same on mine, though it wasn't something that stood out to me, but I drive in manual mode in low range anyway unless I'm cruising down some smoother trails.

I'd imagine it's because 1st gear is SOOO low, it's pretty pointless to use that gear unless you are going up some really steep/rocky terrain, in which case you're going to want manual control anyway. if it were to just automatically shift to 1st gear, it'd probably already be shifting to 2nd almost as soon as you take your foot off the brake.

OP
OP
NB619

NB619

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Military
I believe it did the same on mine, though it wasn't something that stood out to me, but I drive in manual mode in low range anyway unless I'm cruising down some smoother trails.

I'd imagine it's because 1st gear is SOOO low, it's pretty pointless to use that gear unless you are going up some really steep/rocky terrain, in which case you're going to want manual control anyway. if it were to just automatically shift to 1st gear, it'd probably already be shifting to 2nd almost as soon as you take your foot off the brake.
Yeah that’s true, thanks for the help!
I’ll try it again next time I’m out on the trail and see what happens.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
your trucks angry at you because you keep calling it a car.
stop it, and eventually when it's feelings arent hurt any more it will act like a truck.
Lol. Meanwhile guys on the Escape group keep calling those trucks.

Deleted member 1634

your trucks angry at you because you keep calling it a car.
stop it, and eventually when it's feelings arent hurt any more it will act like a truck.
Lol. Meanwhile guys on the Escape group keep calling those trucks.
Depends on your definition of "truck".
1585655943412.png

I just added my wife's new Escape to our insurance and it is under "Ford Trucks" as the company. So if you go by that, then they're right to call it a truck.

Realistically you can call anything anything you want, and someone will say you're wrong.

Deleted member 1634

my personal distinguishing factor on what constitutes a truck VS a car/suv/crossover is the frame style.

does it have a frame? then it falls into a truck category.
is it unibody? than its a car/suv/crossover

take note honda ridgeline....you're that bastard child that doesn't belong in either group.
I would agree for the most part, though I would almost put SUVs in the truck category as well, since in my mind a true SUV is body on frame and is by definition a "utility vehicle". Anything that isn't falls into the crossover category in my mind. Though that does start to fall apart with all these new vehicles.

For example, we always called our old '92 Explorer a truck since it was 1) basically an F-150 with a bit more comfort and interior space, and 2) we used it like a truck by plowing the driveway, hauling junk around, and ripping down trees. It basically turned into a farm truck for the last half of it's life.

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
back to the original topic.
I tested it this weekend. Yes, 4low starts in 2nd. you can shift to S and then go to 1.

(On another note, I did some testing with TC, and it worked better than my right foot trying to climb a steep grass/muddy hill.)

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
that ridgeline is ugly. might be great driving but I'll never know!

take note honda ridgeline....you're that bastard child that doesn't belong in either group
that gave me a chuckle
Sponsored