4,200 mile road trip - mostly good, only 1 insurance claim

rfruscel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Hi All, I just completed a Portland to Chicago and back round trip of about 2,100 miles each way ( well, a little more on the way out since we cut through Yellowstone).

Most impressed with the power train. This engine and transmission combination was excellent in the mountains! If there was up/down shifting going on it wasn't noticeable which is huge for me because that's something that bugs the crap out of me. Most of the trip is at or above 80mph and the trip computer shows 22-23mpg. Other than going up the mountains, the only other time it experienced low mpg was when fighting a head wind.

Least impressed with the seats - It's not that they felt uncomfortable but both me and my passenger's arse were sore for much of the drive.

Unfortunately I got caught up in a strong midwest storm and heavy winds and hail beat up the truck pretty good. Sucks to see a new truck all dinged up but i suppose that is what insurance is for.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Sounds like a good trip besides the hail damage, hopefully it's not to bad. Funny because I think the seats are very comfortable but coming from my Tacoma the bar wasn't set all that high. lol

It still amazes me how much power and how smooth the drivetrain is on this truck especially going through the mountains or on steep inclines. When we go up north to Flagstaff there are several very steep grades and while most are pulling off into the right lane, I'm still hauling along in the left lane and not even pushing high rpms either.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Hi All, I just completed a Portland to Chicago and back round trip of about 2,100 miles each way ( well, a little more on the way out since we cut through Yellowstone).

Most impressed with the power train. This engine and transmission combination was excellent in the mountains! If there was up/down shifting going on it wasn't noticeable which is huge for me because that's something that bugs the crap out of me. Most of the trip is at or above 80mph and the trip computer shows 22-23mpg. Other than going up the mountains, the only other time it experienced low mpg was when fighting a head wind.

Least impressed with the seats - It's not that they felt uncomfortable but both me and my passenger's arse were sore for much of the drive.

Unfortunately I got caught up in a strong midwest storm and heavy winds and hail beat up the truck pretty good. Sucks to see a new truck all dinged up but i suppose that is what insurance is for.
That sucks about the hail. Shortly after buying mine I went to the dentist and a hail storm came through. Luckily nothing over 1/2 inch so no damage, but I watched with a sad face as it got pummeled.

As for the seats, my problem is my butt, not the seats. As I've gotten older I get a pinched nerve in my left ass and if I don't dose up with advil before a trip then it's painful after 2-3 hours. I sat in my office chair today for work, and I can barely walk right now. The joy of getting old.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
That's not bad mileage for a trip like that and hauling the mail too. Our trucks are very good on the road or off for that matter. Bummer on the hail storm. Where in Oregon are you at? Beaverton for me.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
RE: Seat comfort. One of the lessons of spinal problems, and aging in general, is that posture matters more than you think. Older and weaker spines want to be as vertical as possible. This is why the Tacoma seats are so bad, and the Wrangler/Gladiator seats are so much better. Nobody likes to get in the driver’s seat behind me, because I sit as straight-up as possible. And don’t make the steering wheel a reach. Pull those shoulders back and sit up straight. I can hear my mom now :)

OP
OP
rfruscel

rfruscel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
That's not bad mileage for a trip like that and hauling the mail too. Our trucks are very good on the road or off for that matter. Bummer on the hail storm. Where in Oregon are you at? Beaverton for me.
I'm out in Hillsboro, just south of 26 and North Plains
Sponsored