First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So I found a problem to getting the best gas mileage especially on weekends. It has to do with that darn turbo and my foot they like each other too much. This truck is fun to drive and can really move when you want it to.
Especially in S mode,this little 4 banger really takes off! You won't get very good gas mileage but you sure will get a big smile. :D
Sponsored

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
My lifetime fuel economy gauge reads 20.9 MPG, I however do 50/50 city to highway driving so I think that's pretty impressive. It obviously goes up after a long trip on the highway. Best was 26 mpg+ using cruise control.

Reactions: Doc

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Especially in S mode,this little 4 banger really takes off! You won't get very good gas mileage but you sure will get a big smile. :D
I've tried to test if there's a real difference between D and S and can't really see a difference if I am disciplined enough to keep from mashing in S mode. The D mode drives me nuts...I don't know how the engine takes the torture of being constantly lugged...I just watch the boost gauge carefully and keep it off positive as much as possible...

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've tried to test if there's a real difference between D and S and can't really see a difference if I am disciplined enough to keep from mashing in S mode. The D mode drives me nuts...I don't know how the engine takes the torture of being constantly lugged...I just watch the boost gauge carefully and keep it off positive as much as possible...
That's the problem right there lol.

I agree if you can drive the same a D mode there's really no huge difference in mileage. I guess I should get me a reader to hook up so I can monitor the boost. Which one do you have?

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
That's the problem right there lol.

I agree if you can drive the same a D mode there's really no huge difference in mileage. I guess I should get me a reader to hook up so I can monitor the boost. Which one do you have?
I’m pretty sure a simple Scangauge II will even do it from photos I’ve seen on here. I plan on putting the one from my Colorado in... someday!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I’m pretty sure a simple Scangauge II will even do it from photos I’ve seen on here. I plan on putting the one from my Colorado in... someday!
I've never used one and didn't know if there was one that is better suited for the Ranger i.e. do the all show boost? I know @Msfitoy uses his iPad (maybe that's the mini) which is nice as it's a bigger screen but I'll just use my iPhone.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I've never used one and didn't know if there was one that is better suited for the Ranger i.e. do the all show boost? I know @Msfitoy uses his iPad (maybe that's the mini) which is nice as it's a bigger screen but I'll just use my iPhone.
I did look into some iPad apps but the only one I have is the 12.9” Pro so it might be a little excessive and distracting lol

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Torrie at unleashed increased my 10th gear from 60 to 70 mph..
Regards

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I did look into some iPad apps but the only one I have is the 12.9” Pro so it might be a little excessive and distracting lol
My iPads outdated I think it's a 3, I can't even update half the apps anymore so it's basically useless. You're right I think that large screen would be a bit excessive,my eyes aren't that bad yet lol. Then I'd have to drill more holes in my truck for a larger mount which I can't bring myself to do.

Last edited:

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
But I like mashing the pedal when in sport for some reason I just can’t help it

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I use iPad Mini (10") with Retina that's about as big as necessary for me:)

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Tank number 3, 382 miles, 17.17 gallons for mpg of 22.19. Three tank tally is 22.03/21.90/22.19. My display said 23.5.

My average using actual is 22.04. My driving is rural with some city...no more than 10 miles interstate...

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
20200113_145849.jpg
Stopped in traffic today..
Regards

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
Getting better the more miles I put on it. I do a lot of interstate driving and love using my adaptive cruise. Lariat Crew Cab FX4. This has never been reset so I'm probably getting slightly better now.
Why does the truck get better MPG's the more you drive it and the more dirty the engine components get? Is it because the tires are starting to wear down, or the catalytic converters are working better as they age?

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
Safety regulations are one of the main reasons for the sizes of vehicles nowadays. In order to meet all the safety requirements with airbags and crumple zones all over, the vehicle just has to be bigger to fit it all and still meet the other public constraints like towing, power, payload, and all that.

Also, I'd have to imagine that even though the mpg may be the same between a truck now and a truck from 1985, the emissions leaving the tailpipe are less harmful to the environment. That's also a big deal.
The Tacoma becoming the 1st Tundra was not for any safety reasons, F150 did not grow in size because of safety regulations. ;)

But this is a MPG's thread. All are worried about the dismal MPG's that the vehicle is giving them........ ;)
Think I can say, other than the nostalgic comparisons being done, if one wants better MPG's then have to go buy something else, etc.

And for those not getting a consistent 20+MPG's from Ranger, ask the dealer to check the catalytic converter for proper flow, might have a bad back pressure issue which has neg impact on turbo function, making it run lower MPG's.
Sponsored