2019 ranger lariat speaker upgrade

FordRangerGuy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have the b&o system in my lariat and had a local audio installer install new Kenwood components(xr-1701p) in the front doors because I had a blown speaker on one side. Now the new speakers and tweeters cut in and out at higher volumes. Usually around 19-20 is when the issue starts.

After testing some other speakers and speaking with his Kenwood rep the installer believes it's the amp not pushing enough power.

Has anyone straight swapped their front speakers without issue? Could it be the amp or should I be looking at something else.
Sponsored

Last edited:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
So you installed new Tweeters - separate or a combo (speaker)

The ACM - Powers the Center Dash Speaker and the (2) pillar Tweeters

The Amp - Powers the Door Speakers

OP
OP

FordRangerGuy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
So you installed new Tweeters - separate or a combo (speaker)

The ACM - Powers the Center Dash Speaker and the (2) pillar Tweeters

The Amp - Powers the Door Speakers
New tweeters were installed with external crossovers. This all came with the speakers (xr1701p).

I'm not sure how he installed these but since it's not working correctly I'm now trying to figure out if he's correct by saying that I need another amp to run these speakers or if he maybe missed something. During my brief research beforehand this sounded like simple install. I know I had to buy a universal speaker adapter, but not sure if that was needed or indicates anything.

Last edited:

Scott S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Automotive GM
I replaced all 7 speakers in my B&O system and retained the factory amp. I have no problems running the volume up to 25. Sounds like your installer did something wrong and now would love to sell you a new amp.

5thranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20ranger
Occupation
driver
I replaced all 7 speakers in my B&O system and retained the factory amp. I have no problems running the volume up to 25. Sounds like your installer did something wrong and now would love to sell you a new amp.
Yep, that installer use to be a transmission mechanic at the Ford dealership and did Ranger transmissions.

LB'sTremor

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Iconic Lariat Tremor
Occupation
IT
what speakers did you use?

Thx,
LB

Scott S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Automotive GM
I replaced the speakers 2 years ago and I will need to find the receipt because I don’t recall what speakers I used. I can check later.

Scott S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Automotive GM
Yep, that installer use to be a transmission mechanic at the Ford dealership and did Ranger transmissions.
Haha. I have 51k miles and my trans seems to be going out. I am not looking forward to that conversation with Ford since my truck has a tune. It seems more likely that the transmission is defective rather than my tune hurting it.

OP
OP

FordRangerGuy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Update:
I wanted to give a better description of the issue because the general sense I'm hearing is that the B&O amp should be able to support the speakers.

This issue doesn't happen with the radio input but does when using something like a usb stick or phone. I typically plug my phone in and and stream spotify and the issue starts at volume levels around 19-20 and up, depending on the song/bass. All other speakers sound fine and only the newly installed speakers exhibit this behavior.

I touched base with the installer this week about the ACM powering the pillar tweeters and amp powering the door speakers. He indicated he tried running the speakers off the amplified output without the tweeters but the same issue happened. He said he can try running the tweeters off the oem tweeter output and maybe the tweeters wont cut out but he believes the speakers still will.

I'm at a bit of a lost here due to my lack of knowledge. But is the install really straight forward or is there a good chance he missed something specific to the Ranger B&O setup? I appreciate any feedback and help

Scott S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Automotive GM
That is really strange. I stream Amazon music without any issues. I haven’t had a chance to find my speaker information yet.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I am not Audio guy by any means, I have performed some audio upgrades in my past vehicles, with the help of forums such as this one.

With some research:
Found that the factory speakers are: 4 Ohm- 25 Watt Speakers

So, the DSP (Amp) is set up to provide power to a 4 Ohm speaker

With this rule in mind regarding speakers and impedance:

The higher resistance of the speaker - the less power it needs to power it (from the Amp)
so

The Kenwood set you have installed are (3 Ohm) - thus it takes more power from the Amp to power them.
Unclear how much of an effect this has on the door (Woofer) and adding the Tweeter Power requirement to the factory Amp will have, Amp may not have enough power output to handle it.
(With the combination of lower impedance 3-Ohms and adding a Tweeter in the mix.)

Now I cannot find the specs for the factory B &O - DSP (Amp) but I believe that it would be (Ohm) specific and not have a range like an aftermarket Amp would have, so the capability of powering a range of 2 to 4 Ohm or higher speakers.

Now a possible reason for it only doing this in - Bluetooth or USB mode use.
The Sync system is possibly amplifying the sound loader than the radio stations.
I cannot remember if the Ranger has a Sync setting for that or not, but some Head Units have that adjustable selection.

Related Settings:
Speed Compensated Volume -allows the sound level to increase with vehicle speed.
Fader - You can possibly adjust the Fader to give the rear speakers more sound level and thus possibly diminish the front speaker cutout.

It is possible that your initial (speaker blown) issue was caused by an output or wire issue and is somewhat affecting the new speakers as they have a higher wattage handle over the stock.

By description the Tweeters and Center Speaker are powered from the ACM
The ACM sends the Audio Signals for the Door Speakers to the AMP (A2B Signal) and then the AMP sends the (AMPED) power to the Door Speakers and Sub

Being that the ACM is looking for the Tweeters to power, they are not installed as far as the ACM knows and may be creating an issue with this.

You may be able to adjust this As-Built file to turn off the Tweeter Output that the ACM is trying to power and possibly causing your issue.

Change the Hex Line: in the ACM using Forscan
727-01-01 -(12AO-980A-0185) From (This SHOULD be your As-Built Data for the Lariat Trim)
727-01-01 - (12A0-900A-01XX) To
The last (2) characters are the checksum and will automatically change when any of the other characters on that line are changed.

This is a Hail-Mary and unsure if it will make any difference, so trial and error or succeed.

Ref: The link below for a breakdown of the Hex-Line, this is the only Hex-Line of data that specifically ties to the Front Tweeters.
Note as I said, this may or may not have any effect on your cutouts, it was just a thought of what if? and would it make a difference?

https://cyanlabs.net/asbuilt-db/acm2/?search=Front%20Tweeters%20(FT)#database

Hope some of this info helps, I have thought about upgrading my B&O as well but have yet to pull the trigger.

EDIT: For clarification - This is for the ACM Module (USB Not Present) is correct as it is in the APIM Module

Last edited:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I found the factory B&O Specs (somewhat)

The DSP (Amp) is a 660 Watt Amp - 6-Channels
1 Channel for each Door Speaker
2 Channels for the (Sub)

The unknown is how the (Amps per channel) are divided

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Update:
I wanted to give a better description of the issue because the general sense I'm hearing is that the B&O amp should be able to support the speakers.

This issue doesn't happen with the radio input but does when using something like a usb stick or phone. I typically plug my phone in and and stream spotify and the issue starts at volume levels around 19-20 and up, depending on the song/bass. All other speakers sound fine and only the newly installed speakers exhibit this behavior.

I touched base with the installer this week about the ACM powering the pillar tweeters and amp powering the door speakers. He indicated he tried running the speakers off the amplified output without the tweeters but the same issue happened. He said he can try running the tweeters off the oem tweeter output and maybe the tweeters wont cut out but he believes the speakers still will.

I'm at a bit of a lost here due to my lack of knowledge. But is the install really straight forward or is there a good chance he missed something specific to the Ranger B&O setup? I appreciate any feedback and help
This guy (installer) did a complete series on the Ranger (Audio) Upgrade.
I remembered a detail about the Tweeters, this is part 2 of the series and he talks about the tweeter and it touches base on my theory of the ACM looking for a Tweeter, (Load)
Now the videos series is for a (Non B&O) so the theory would hold true as the ACM is amping the power to all speakers and tweeters as the B&O system is only using the ACM to amp the Ft Tweeters and Center Speaker.

This may fix your issue

Ref: Video Link:

New Ford Ranger finish speakers and pull out radio Installer Diaries part 2 (youtube.com)
Sponsored