OP

13 Second Ranger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Then perhaps looking into the water/meth injection, upgrading the ignition coils with Accel or MSD and better plugs? I'm particularly interested in checking out the Pulstar plugs if they have anything for the 2.3L EcoB engine.

The only issue I have with water/meth is that if it is tuned to run with it and the pump or something fails....booooom.
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The risk of catastrophic failure comes comes from setting the system up so it absolutely needs the water/meth injection to prevent pre-ignition from extremely high cylinder temps and boost pressures that exceed the fuel's capability to compensate and prevent it. If however you set it up to be a supplement to the current system setup and only inject when under full boost, and dial the injection rate fairly light as to just drop the intake temps a minor amount instead of going whole hog with it then any pump or spray failure won't severely impact the system. The ECM would be able to compensate by instantly backing off the timing/boost preventing damage. Several guys in the local Euro car club I know have been running water/meth configured to supplement like this on their daily drivers for years with no issues. One guy who built his own setup to save money had a bunch of issues with it at first never had an issue. He was on an APR stage 3 tune, bigger turbo, larger injectors, full exhaust etc. and when the injection would stop under full boost the engine would stumble a little bit and the boost would fall off to 1/2 for a second then climb right back up. Logs always showed it as a soft code mis-fire event and that the ECM cut boost and retarded the spark advance to compensate.

The supplied pump in the high end kits are going to be very reliable. This one from AEM for example uses a 3 piston rotary plunger pump. These pumps are near bullet proof and can run dry without any damage to the pump. They can run for years and not require any maintenance needed.

But I can see the concern of not wanting to risk blowing the engine with a water/meth system. Another option is rig up an intercooler mister. A few guys I know did this. They ran a line from the windshield washer bottle pump across the bumper in front of the intecooler. Then connected some of those ultra-fine mister nozzles to it. To actuate the mister system, they spliced into the power sprayer pump connection and mounted a pressure switch under the gas pedal so when they floored the pedal the pump would kick on and spray a fine mist across the intercooler. This was surprisingly effective and they actually managed to see about a 20 degree drop in intake temps. Then to switch back to windshield mode, just swap the plumbing back over and disconnect the floor switch. Granted this is redneck engineering at it's best, but it actually worked and as long as the mist is fine enough there is little to no risk of it causing issues since it would evaporate almost instantly upon contact with the intercooler.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
So almost was defeated with some horrible passes tonight and then I said...let’s try to figure out what is slowing me down. I’ve been working with a few prototype pieces and one of them I believe was choking it down a lot...by removing one shield I figured out what was costing me a full second. So now that I’m back down in the low 13’s I have some small tweaking to do. I really believe a better intake and/or better flow into the shitty air box will put me into the 12’s. Keep in mind it was 90 degrees and humid as can be tonight. Launching started at 2k and ended about 2500 rpms and that’s about all I think I can get without spinning. Truck felt so nice on the last run...it’s gonna get there very soon!!!

rob ranger timeslip.jpg
Woo Hoo.... even at 90 Degrees...Fantastic !!

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Instead of E85, maybe try 110 Octane race fuel and a water/methanol injection setup. The water/meth will significantly lower the intake temps and allow for sustained higher boost and more advanced spark timings.

Adding a K&N or similar drop in filter couldn't hurt if you're still running the paper filter. Also if you're still using the factory airbox with intake snorkle attached you can also look into fabricating an intake scoop similar to this one that @RCMUSTANG made for his. https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/rcmustangs-magnetic-fx4.2048/page-5#post-32094 It would help direct more cooler air into the intake.
Be careful with Race Fuel, I was a learning experience with my Drag Bikes had some crystallization in the intakes..just an FYI..
Regards

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Be careful with Race Fuel, I was a learning experience with my Drag Bikes had some crystallization in the intakes..just an FYI..
Regards
While I would not recommend running it on a daily basis, and only a track day thing, this issue is nearly impossible since these are GDI engines. All the fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinders so no risk of intake issues with it.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
While I would not recommend running it on a daily basis, and only a track day thing, this issue is nearly impossible since these are GDI engines. All the fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinders so no risk of intake issues with it.
Thanks !

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Definately get extra cooling by using the extra volume needed to run E85. The prob with meth/water is it is easier to cause corrosion inside the engine/injectors then E85.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
an ice box for the intake charged air?

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
So almost was defeated with some horrible passes tonight and then I said...let’s try to figure out what is slowing me down. I’ve been working with a few prototype pieces and one of them I believe was choking it down a lot...by removing one shield I figured out what was costing me a full second. So now that I’m back down in the low 13’s I have some small tweaking to do. I really believe a better intake and/or better flow into the shitty air box will put me into the 12’s. Keep in mind it was 90 degrees and humid as can be tonight. Launching started at 2k and ended about 2500 rpms and that’s about all I think I can get without spinning. Truck felt so nice on the last run...it’s gonna get there very soon!!!

rob ranger timeslip.jpg
If you could get that 60' time down another tenth, you'd be damn close to running in the 12s. Is your Ranger 2wd or 4wd? I'd think locking it in 4wd would work great since it would just hook up and shoot out of the hole.

ROOK

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2017 BMW 230 I convertible
Occupation
Retired
You are one of the reasons I joined this forum. It is so much fun reading about your improvements with your ranger. Hard to believe that it would outrun the Hennessy VelociRaptor. I’m on the fence about modding mine. I had 2003 Evolution and got addicted to trying to make her faster. I’m interested in what you think your truck will go to zero to 60? Good luck and keep up the great work.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
You are one of the reasons I joined this forum. It is so much fun reading about your improvements with your ranger. Hard to believe that it would outrun the Hennessy VelociRaptor. I’m on the fence about modding mine. I had 2003 Evolution and got addicted to trying to make her faster. I’m interested in what you think your truck will go to zero to 60? Good luck and keep up the great work.
60 foot is is a bugger with these trucks, I’m adding a fiberglass tonneau for some extra weight and massive suspension change...
Regards