First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
New light bar should be here Thursday.

Also I think I have an idea for a ladder system using some 45 degree stand off brackets I had sitting around in a spare parts bin. I think I am going to build a telescopic system from scratch using aluminum again.

IMG-3364.jpg

Also here are some more details regarding platform support. The outside rests on additional aluminum square attached directly to the RCI bed rack. The cross-beams get extra support by way of these jumbo rubber spacers. The spacers are then sandwiched with no possibily of movement once the carriage bolts are tightened down which connects the upper rack directly through the middle spine of the RCI bed rack. I can say without a doubt any possible failure, even in extreme off road conditions would have to occur above the cab, but even then, I am beginning to doubt any failure could occur up there either. Once the steel skirting was installed it was like the aluminum frame putting on armor.

There is virtually no give in the rack even when my big butt stands on top.

IMG_3359.JPG

IMG_3360.JPG

IMG_3361.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
New light bar should be here Thursday.

Also I think I have an idea for a ladder system using some 45 degree stand off brackets I had sitting around in a spare parts bin. I think I am going to build a telescopic system from scratch using aluminum again.

IMG-3364.jpg

Also here are some more details regarding platform support. The outside rests on additional aluminum square attached directly to the RCI bed rack. The cross-beams get extra support by way of these jumbo rubber spacers. The spacers are then sandwiched with no possibily of movement once the carriage bolts are tightened down which connects the upper rack directly through the middle spine of the RCI bed rack. I can say without a doubt any possible failure, even in extreme off road conditions would have to occur above the cab, but even then, I am beginning to doubt any failure could occur up there either. Once the steel skirting was installed it was like the aluminum frame putting on armor.

There is virtually no give in the rack even when my big butt stands on top.

IMG_3359.JPG

IMG_3360.JPG

IMG_3361.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG
Hi Jack,

I think you did very well engineering this platform. Time will tell if the structure under the pucks will show a weakness...doubt you will see any problems... Well done! Amazed at your ability to find some of the components you found....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Forgot one photo from topside.

Today I plan to put together a materials list to show actual cost (not including screw ups and do overs and tools). I think I should still be around $600. Now I've spent a good bit more than that, but a lot of that was due to my lack of engineering background and redoing entire sections once I realized it wasn't up to par. I probably have close to 50 hours in it if we include travel time to local stores to find odds and ends.

The biggest thing in retrospect which would help the project immensely would be building the entire thing as one unit OFF the truck (including the RCI bed rack). Catching details that need to be changed would have been easier if working at eye level in a dedicated workshop. That and painting it as one unit to keep color consistent.

The ultimate answer would be a bed rack built to the proper height (or maybe raising the bed rack by means of giant spacers on the bed rails). This would have simplified the build immensly if the top rack mated straight to the RCI rack without having to cobble together the middle part of the sandwich so to say.

Once I am done it still won't be production quality perfect, but I believe I built something for 1/4 (or greater) the price a production market item would cost.

IMG_3363.JPG

Last edited:

T Bone

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
Forgot one photo from topside.

Today I plan to put together a materials list to show actual cost (not including screw ups and do overs and tools). I think I should still be around $600. Now I've spent a good bit more than that, but a lot of that was due to my lack of engineering background and redoing entire sections once I realized it wasn't up to par. I probably have close to 50 hours in it if we include travel time to local stores to find odds and ends.

The biggest thing in retrospect which would help the project immensely would be building the entire thing as one unit OFF the truck (including the RCI bed rack). Catching details that need to be changed would have been easier if working at eye level in a dedicated workshop. That and painting it as one unit to keep color consistent.

The ultimate answer would be a bed rack built to the proper height (or maybe raising the bed rack by means of giant spacers on the bed rails). This would have simplified the build immensly if the top rack mated straight to the RCI rack without having to cobble together the middle part of the sandwich so to say.

Once I am done it still won't be production quality perfect, but I believe I built something for 1/4 (or greater) the price a production market item would cost.

IMG_3363.JPG
jack that is majorly bad azz...........good job!

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
So here is the basic cost. Remember this is a no weld design. Does not include paint or finish of builders choice. Does not include shop supplies like sandpaper, tools, etc etc

Does include enough aluminum bar to build the needed middle supports. Quantity counts indicate package size not that you will have to use the total amount. In most cases the cost should include any shipping cost but not taxes on local goods.

This is a close estimate but probably not completely accurate.

24F5EA9A-FF8E-43F2-964D-33D4D6455ED5.jpeg

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
It won't quite fit in the grill area of the nudge bar. So for the sake of wiring and testing I installed it below with some existing holes. I will be moving it up to the middle opening I just need to drill the holes on above the grill.

These suckers are bright and the rack lights up top are much more controlled than the cheaper round lights at had. I'm still adjusting a few things and I plan to install a glare visor (I just need to cut and paint some aluminum flat stock).

I had to basically do a bunch of extra wiring because the amber/white can be controlled by two separate lines.

Right now I get a little bit of glare from about the middle of the hood and forward. Once I fabricate the visor and install it I should only catch a little on the nose of the hood.

IMG_3385.JPG

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Messing around with some ditch lighting. What do you think?

I also found some "orange" amber tint from Oracle vs. "golden yellow" amber from Vivvid. I will apply that to these lights if I end up keeping them.

Just trying to decide if it messes up the flow I got going on or looks like they are in the proper place. They of course have no been aligned and aimed as they just came in tonight and are not hooked up to any power.

IMG_3432.JPG

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
These struts have proved to be quite useful because they can easily be removed and then items installed using washers larger than the hole punches in this case my perimeter lighting and repositioned ditch lights are coming along nicely

Edit: Why do those lights remind me of Johnny 5? (for those old enough to remember the movie...)

D407BC69-A72D-42C0-BEB2-31E97C392CD1.jpeg

Last edited: