Midsize Truck Comparison: Ranger vs Tacoma, Gladiator, Colorado, Canyon, Frontier

Xfitter

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
I took the global Ranger mm measurement and converted to inches. They are as follows. Looks like the middle rear will have a floor hump which will make that seat cramped. Also I haven't seen rear a.c. vents. The rear legroom and width will be critical competing with Tacoma. Rear legroom is a big complaint for some Tacoma owners. Poor transmission shifts as well, although they seem to have a programming fix now.
Ugliness is a complaint for me on the Tacoma :puke:

You hope that it's wider or narrower than an Escape?

I'm just glad that the Ranger will be significantly smaller than the F-150. I'm guessing that many of us are here because the F-150 is too large for us. If these preliminary dimensions inputted by @rduvall end up being accurate, the Ranger would 20-30" shorter and 7" narrower than the F-150 crew cab. That makes a huge difference when it comes to daily driving situations like parking!
Yea I can't keep count of how many times I've seen an F series truck park diagonally and take up two parking spaces. I'd hate to be THAT person. And good luck parallel parking in a city. :whew: The Ranger's size is perfect for me.
Sponsored

RangerConvert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
I was on the Costco auto program looking at options.. I noticed they had specs for cargo and some dimension listed. I'm not sure on the accuracy of the information they have and this was based on the supercrew 4x4.

upload_2018-10-16_18-31-53.png

upload_2018-10-16_18-33-36.png

upload_2018-10-16_18-34-8.png

OP
OP
rduvall

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
I was on the Costco auto program looking at options.. I noticed they had specs for cargo and some dimension listed. I'm not sure on the accuracy of the information they have and this was based on the supercrew 4x4.
These measurements are close to what I am using as placeholders now. The only one that seems out of place is the width. The F-150 is 80-86 inches wide. The midsize segment average is 75 inches.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
These measurements are close to what I am using as placeholders now. The only one that seems out of place is the width. The F-150 is 80-86 inches wide. The midsize segment average is 75 inches.
Ford Ranger Specs are in this page: 2019 Ford Ranger Tech Specs

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I just measured my 2015 Colorado 4x4 CrewCab with 6' bed. Height and width for Ranger are almost identical to the Colorado. Length of Ranger is about 1' shorter because Ranger has a 5' bed rather than the 6' bed on my Colorado.

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
I'm really wanting to see if the rear seats will lay flat without removing the headrests and how much storage is under the seats. I keep my dog box in the truck on trips and am hoping I can fold the rear seats down and fit the box on top.

OP
OP
rduvall

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Updated the comparison with the latest info. Yellow fields with greyed out text are speculative.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
One thing I wish Ford had copied from GM - the step built into the end of each rear bumper. Those are really handy for us old folks who have to crawl up in the bed once in a while!

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
I wish the rear cab of the crewcab would have been designed better. The Ridgeline is best hands down for midsize trucks. It has rear seat that folds up for flat floor. The others have the back area that folds down. Videos of the global ranger shows the seats fold down but not completely flat which is disappointing.

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
One thing I wish Ford had copied from GM - the step built into the end of each rear bumper. Those are really handy for us old folks who have to crawl up in the bed once in a while!
That is too funny! I hear ya.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone seen the console opened up? Even better would be a good picture. Some consoles are more user friendly and have better storage than others. The console in my 2015 Colorado was basically a big bucket for items to get lost in, with no upper tray to store pens, air gauge, coins, etc. Finally found an aftermarket upper tray on Amazon that works great - allows access to USB port, has coin storage, etc. You have to wonder why GM couldn't have included that.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Anyone have more information on the trail controls mechanism? Found a quote that mentions it used electric motors to manage but nothing else that I can find on the subject.

“Ford says the technology is driven by electric motors, where Toyota's crawl control is a vacuum-based system.”

blackdog

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 f150 flareside
Anyone have more information on the trail controls mechanism? Found a quote that mentions it used electric motors to manage but nothing else that I can find on the subject.

“Ford says the technology is driven by electric motors, where Toyota's crawl control is a vacuum-based system.”
vacuum systems suck
Sponsored