Midsize Truck Comparison: Ranger vs Tacoma, Gladiator, Colorado, Canyon, Frontier

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Figured I would post this so I can just update it as more information rolls out. If there is incorrect information please let me know. I would be happy to explain anything you think is dubious. Ranger highlighted stats are guessed and are not known at this time.

**Last Update: 10-18-18

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 10.58.37 AM.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
View attachment 348
Figured I would post this so I can just update it as more information rolls out. If there is incorrect information please let me know. I would be happy to explain anything you think is dubious. Ranger highlighted stats are guessed and are not known at this time.
Which body style (SuperCab or SuperCrew) are the Length figures for?

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Remember, if you are comparing Extended Cab, 2wd, that will get you 1,860 lbs payload. If you are in the market for Crew Cab, 4x4, that starts at 1,500 lbs, add options, and payload rating will further decrease.

OP
OP
rduvall

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Which body style (SuperCab or SuperCrew) are the Length figures for?
4 door for all trucks. Each manufacturer has different nomenclature. I am using best rates for the newly added towing/payload figures. I will fine tune them for the specific vehicle configs.

OP
OP
rduvall

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Remember, if you are comparing Extended Cab, 2wd, that will get you 1,860 lbs payload. If you are in the market for Crew Cab, 4x4, that starts at 1,500 lbs, add options, and payload rating will further decrease.
I am aware. I used the best numbers for each truck in the towing and payload section. I will update those as soon as I can collect all the information for the specific vehicle configs.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Bed Length of 72" is for the SuperCab (2 Door)", but for 4 Door (SuperCrew) it is only 60". I presumed the wheelbase would go upwards about 12" on the SuperCrew vs. SuperCab; BUT looking at my order form, it shows a wheelbase of 126.8", so they must make the length adjustment by using the shorter bed on the Crew to keep the length and wheelbase the same. It's too bad they don't offer the 6' bed in the Crew cab model like Colorado does

Last edited:

misanthrope

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL 4x4
Great comparison chart thanks for sharing. This highlights how super competitive the Ranger is looking against the other midsize pickups! Looking forward to hearing how all this translate to real world driving reviews.

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
View attachment 348
Hope the width dimensions are wrong. My 2014 escape is 72.4 wide. The Truck at the auto show look wider then a escape setting behind it. Looked the width of a Edge that is 76". But that was just a few of us eyeballing it for measurements.

OP
OP
rduvall

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Hope the width dimensions are wrong. My 2014 escape is 72.4 wide. The Truck at the auto show look wider then a escape setting behind it. Looked the width of a Edge that is 76". But that was just a few of us eyeballing it for measurements.
The cells marked with light yellow and the text greyed out is because the information isn't officially know. those are approximate placeholder values and will be updated when there is more information.

JYC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 4Runner
Thanks @rduvall for this helpful chart. For the Ranger dimensions - do we expect that it'll be different than the international model?

OP
OP
rduvall

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Thanks @rduvall for this helpful chart. For the Ranger dimensions - do we expect that it'll be different than the international model?
We should expect them to be similar. They stated that they used the T6 Ranger as the basis and reworked all the body panels. I used some T6 numbers as placeholders until we have actual reported numbers.

Supertrooper

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You hope that it's wider or narrower than an Escape?

I'm just glad that the Ranger will be significantly smaller than the F-150. I'm guessing that many of us are here because the F-150 is too large for us. If these preliminary dimensions inputted by @rduvall end up being accurate, the Ranger would 20-30" shorter and 7" narrower than the F-150 crew cab. That makes a huge difference when it comes to daily driving situations like parking!

Stumblios

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ranger FX4 LVL II
Im hoping the dimensions are similar to the the international. I can accept that it will be a little bigger than the 07 I drive now. But I specifically ignore the F-150 because it's to big for my needs. I think the hole point to the mid size market is to be smaller, if it's with in a few inches of the F-150 I don't see the point.

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
You hope that it's wider or narrower than an Escape?

I'm just glad that the Ranger will be significantly smaller than the F-150. I'm guessing that many of us are here because the F-150 is too large for us. If these preliminary dimensions inputted by @rduvall end up being accurate, the Ranger would 20-30" shorter and 7" narrower than the F-150 crew cab. That makes a huge difference when it comes to daily driving situations like parking!

I'm just thinking of the inside dimension in comparison to the outside dimensions. Looked a lot narrower then the F-150 at the show. Cab size(shoulder width) is what I will be interested in. My escape is pretty good, I would be good with that. True about the parking, my F-150 was a pain at times. Not much longer to wait to be able to actually sit in one. Can't wait.

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion

View attachment 348
I took the global Ranger mm measurement and converted to inches. They are as follows. Looks like the middle rear will have a floor hump which will make that seat cramped. Also I haven't seen rear a.c. vents. The rear legroom and width will be critical competing with Tacoma. Rear legroom is a big complaint for some Tacoma owners. Poor transmission shifts as well, although they seem to have a programming fix now.
Length 211
Width 78
Height 72
Front headroom 40
Front legroom 41.5
Rear headroom 38
Rear legroom 35.5
Wheelbase 126
Sponsored