Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Has been a while since posts on here but am wondering if anyone is using one of the Bambu labs X1 printers? I Have an old CR 10s and Anycubic Chiron that I need to replace to do more then PLA. Been looking around and the X1 seems to be the cheapest printer with capabilities like carbon fiber and other materials that will handle heat and uv. Just wondering if anyone here has tried one and how their experience with it has been on different types of filament. Thanks.
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Has been a while since posts on here but am wondering if anyone is using one of the Bambu labs X1 printers? I Have an old CR 10s and Anycubic Chiron that I need to replace to do more then PLA. Been looking around and the X1 seems to be the cheapest printer with capabilities like carbon fiber and other materials that will handle heat and uv. Just wondering if anyone here has tried one and how their experience with it has been on different types of filament. Thanks.
The X1 is no longer available unless you find a used one. The X1 Carbon runs about $1200, without the AMS. It's a very capable printer. But I have my eye on Bambu's new P1S, which is the P1P but with an enclosed chamber. It goes for $700. Add a hardened hot end/nozzle for $15 and hardened extruder gears for $20, and it will do exotics such as carbon fiber, nylon, and polycarbonate. And it's compatible with AMS if you want multicolor prints.
IMO, save yourself $500 and look into the P1S. IMO, the extra features on the X1C aren't necessary, as the LIDAR and AI are hit or miss.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
The X1 is no longer available unless you find a used one. The X1 Carbon runs about $1200, without the AMS. It's a very capable printer. But I have my eye on Bambu's new P1S, which is the P1P but with an enclosed chamber. It goes for $700. Add a hardened hot end/nozzle for $15 and hardened extruder gears for $20, and it will do exotics such as carbon fiber, nylon, and polycarbonate. And it's compatible with AMS if you want multicolor prints.
IMO, save yourself $500 and look into the P1S. IMO, the extra features on the X1C aren't necessary, as the LIDAR and AI are hit or miss.
Thanks. Yes the x1 carbon is what I meant. With shipping and tax it is $1600.00 with a 4 spool setup. Didn't realize you can put a hardened nozzle on the P1S for that cheap and print the carbon fiber. Guess the enclosure will handle the temps. That would save $500.00 . The darn Maker bot I was originally looking at is almost 5k but more for an institutional setting. Doesn't seem to be many options in this class of printers yet.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Thanks. Yes the x1 carbon is what I meant. With shipping and tax it is $1600.00 with a 4 spool setup. Didn't realize you can put a hardened nozzle on the P1S for that cheap and print the carbon fiber. Guess the enclosure will handle the temps. That would save $500.00 . The darn Maker bot I was originally looking at is almost 5k but more for an institutional setting. Doesn't seem to be many options in this class of printers yet.
OK I sent a email with questions to Bambu support before buying and 2 days later I started being bombarded by over 20 scam emails a day. I watched a video about how Bambu stores and shares all your information and 3d designs on the cloud with others. I don't trust them anymore and definitely changing my mind about buying anything from them. This cloud stuff is getting scary, I'm looking at the k1 max now that can run offline or possibly wait for new options to surface.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Anyone want to try and attempt to make me this 3D printed switch panel blank? This one I found on etsy leaves a little to be desired quality wise. Looking at mounting two small dial knobs in this area.

IMG_9028.jpeg

IMG_9027.jpeg

IMG_9026.jpeg

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Anyone want to try and attempt to make me this 3D printed switch panel blank? This one I found on etsy leaves a little to be desired quality wise. Looking at mounting two small dial knobs in this area.

IMG_9028.jpeg

IMG_9027.jpeg

IMG_9026.jpeg
That's not that bad for FDM printer. To get a better results, someone would need to use SLA printer (aka resin printer). Those can achieve higher resolutions down to 50 microns (0.050mm), whereas FDM is limited by the nozzle size, usually 400 microns (0.4mm)

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
That's not that bad for FDM printer. To get a better results, someone would need to use SLA printer (aka resin printer). Those can achieve higher resolutions down to 50 microns (0.050mm), whereas FDM is limited by the nozzle size, usually 400 microns (0.4mm)
Haha whatever you say. I like the quality of my @DirkM wireless charger. That’s the quality I expect.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Any opinions on this $200 Sovol? Supposedly it's better than the Ender. I don't really want to go down the rabbit hole of upgrades, just want a cheap standalone printer to bang out small parts from thingiverse without too much trouble. I'm just not too interested in making it a hobby or dedicating much time to it. And it's not really economical if I spend $1200 on a printer to make $10 parts either.

https://www.amazon.com/Sovol-Planetary-Extruder-25-Point-8-66x8-66x9-84/dp/B0BJV3WB2J

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Any opinions on this $200 Sovol? Supposedly it's better than the Ender. I don't really want to go down the rabbit hole of upgrades, just want a cheap standalone printer to bang out small parts from thingiverse without too much trouble. I'm just not too interested in making it a hobby or dedicating much time to it. And it's not really economical if I spend $1200 on a printer to make $10 parts either.

https://www.amazon.com/Sovol-Planetary-Extruder-25-Point-8-66x8-66x9-84/dp/B0BJV3WB2J
IMO, Maybe better than the original Ender, but the new Ender 3 V3 SE will be better. The Sovol has auto bed leveling, but you still have to manually adjust Z offset. Sovol also has an archaic LED control screen. Ender 3 V3 SE will auto bed level, and auto Z-offset, and has a newer color LCD screen. Just load your file, start printing, no adjustments to make. And they are $200 also.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
These aren't bad either, I have one of these https://www.amazon.com/Voxelab-Aquila-X2-Removable-8-66x8-66x9-84in/dp/B0953M39YB/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1WYS20IZ3XO2I&keywords=aquila+3d+printer&qid=1701174544&sprefix=aquilla,aps,416&sr=8-4&th=1
and a Wanhao i3 Duplicator https://www.wanhao3dprinter.com/Unboxin/ShowArticle.asp?ArticleID=78
The Voxlabs look simple (are simple) and are yet another Ender clone but nicely made, and print well. You have to build them though as they come in a flat pack. Prints just as well as the Wanhao which is a Prusa i3 clone.
For $150 that is pretty nice. I suppose there isn't much support if it breaks though. I'm reading that about most all of these printers though, including the Sovol and Ender, bad customer support.

The new Ender V3 a lot of people are gushing about, I'm just going to order that while it's still $200 and work out any kinks while it's still in the amazon return period.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
For $150 that is pretty nice. I suppose there isn't much support if it breaks though. I'm reading that about most all of these printers though, including the Sovol and Ender, bad customer support.

The new Ender V3 a lot of people are gushing about, I'm just going to order that while it's still $200 and work out any kinks while it's still in the amazon return period.
You shouldn't have problems with it. If you do, there is a large community of user that can help you get thru them, unlike some of the lesser unknown ones.

ems

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
RN
I recently upgraded from an ender 3 pro to a creality k1. Thought about the v3se for $180, but got the k1 for $350 on sale at microcenter, no regrets. The extra expense was justifiable for me, as it is capable of printing abs/nylons/other materials I want to use out of the box, and prints FAST. The early k1’s had some teething issues, but mine had the upgraded extruder and hotend and has been trouble free. Pretty good value for the price imo, upgrading a less expensive machine to do what I wanted would have cost more and still would not have been as capable.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I recently upgraded from an ender 3 pro to a creality k1. Thought about the v3se for $180, but got the k1 for $350 on sale at microcenter, no regrets. The extra expense was justifiable for me, as it is capable of printing abs/nylons/other materials I want to use out of the box, and prints FAST. The early k1’s had some teething issues, but mine had the upgraded extruder and hotend and has been trouble free. Pretty good value for the price imo, upgrading a less expensive machine to do what I wanted would have cost more and still would not have been as capable.
$350 for the K1 is a steel, since normal price is $500.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I've been thinking about toying around with 3D printing for a while now, but haven't dived in - If I did it, I'd want to be able to create my own stuff, not just print stuff from thingiverse or elsewhere. Does anyone have some good sources for tutorials on how to get started? Free/low cost modeling software would be a requirement too.

My fear is I'd spend the money on a printer but I wouldn't be able to create anything myself and would be limited to what I could download.
Sponsored