First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Does anyone else with the FX4 package feel like the Ranger bounces too much? My tires are at the recommended 30 psi, so that is not the issue. General driving around town hitting bumps makes the truck bounce around too much in my opinion. I must note that my previous truck had factory installed Fox suspension, so the ride quality was extremely smooth. Maybe the FX4 suspension really shines off road versus on the streets?
Sponsored

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
My only issue were the rear socks. They were too stiff for me. Installed different shocks and it matches the front now. Perfect for me. I posted this in my build thread.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
My only issue were the rear socks. They were too stiff for me. Installed different shocks and it matches the front now. Perfect for me. I posted this in my build thread.
I don't have the FX4.. but what rear shocks did you go with? I feel like that might be the main 'bounce' issue many feel. I can live with it but if there's an affordable shock to try out, why not?

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone else with the FX4 package feel like the Ranger bounces too much? My tires are at the recommended 30 psi, so that is not the issue. General driving around town hitting bumps makes the truck bounce around too much in my opinion. I must note that my previous truck had factory installed Fox suspension, so the ride quality was extremely smooth. Maybe the FX4 suspension really shines off road versus on the streets?
I thought it was a little bouncy when I first got it, I came over from an Explorer Sport with Sport tuned suspension and my other ride is a Mustang GT, but after a couple weeks I got used to it and other "Truck Guys" comment on how smooth the ride is.
That's not to say I don't get into "bouncy" situations but they are usually at slow speeds on crappy surfaces...

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
It is bouncy on on low speed bumps but I love the highway ride. I canā€™t decide if the front is too soft or the rear is too firm. Iā€™ll probably leave it alone instead of starting the never ending shock search.

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
FX4 suspension is tuned for off-road performance, you need more ā€œbounceā€ in the shocks to absorb uneven terrain

OP
OP
treimche

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
FX4 suspension is tuned for off-road performance, you need more ā€œbounceā€ in the shocks to absorb uneven terrain
I can't exactly agree with that statement. I traded a '17 TRD Pro Tacoma for this Ranger, and that Tacoma had all Fox suspension from the factory. The thing rode amazingly smooth, and that's their top model for off roading. Wouldn't more "bounce" in the suspension make the truck bounce and jump over bumps and rocks? You'd want something that dampens the ride, not bounces it.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the Colorado Z71 2wd and it had some off road shocks supposedly.. many with the LT version of the trucks commented on how much better the Z71s rode... I think less bounce = slower rebound dampening which absorbs the bumps better rather than quick rebound which 'I think' results in the bounce... but, I'm no suspension expert at all. I was wondering if there was some cheap F150 replacement shock that we could throw on the rear easily and prove some of this... no idea about shock stats to even know if we could get some f150s and play around... maybe someone here with both can do a quick switch...

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I listed the part and number in my build thread for the shocks I used.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
" Maybe the FX4 suspension really shines off road versus on the streets?"

Yes, the suspension was designed for off road.....and as expected street suffers a bit.

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I can't exactly agree with that statement. I traded a '17 TRD Pro Tacoma for this Ranger, and that Tacoma had all Fox suspension from the factory. The thing rode amazingly smooth, and that's their top model for off roading. Wouldn't more "bounce" in the suspension make the truck bounce and jump over bumps and rocks? You'd want something that dampens the ride, not bounces it.
What feels bouncy on the road will absorb hits better off-road. Toyota suspensions are stiff no matter what package you get. The FX4 shocks will perform well off-road and not have a tendency to break components the way a stiffer suspension would. You want a stiff suspension for paved road handling and performance. Observe any Baja type off-road vehicle on the road and they drive terrible, but put them in their element and they will handle way better than a stiff setup

CHenry

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger XLT - FX4, 2015 VW Jetta, 2014 HD Roadking
Occupation
Retired
The ride in this 2019 FX4 is defiantly a more plush ride, then I had in my 2009 FX4. So far I like the ride, but again I only have
about 300 miles on it and nothing off-road so far ........ time will tell

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I had the Colorado Z71 2wd and it had some off road shocks supposedly.. many with the LT version of the trucks commented on how much better the Z71s rode... I think less bounce = slower rebound dampening which absorbs the bumps better rather than quick rebound which 'I think' results in the bounce... but, I'm no suspension expert at all. I was wondering if there was some cheap F150 replacement shock that we could throw on the rear easily and prove some of this... no idea about shock stats to even know if we could get some f150s and play around... maybe someone here with both can do a quick switch...
Finding the right balance between rebound and compression damping, and valving, in all expected situations takes a LOT of work...no doubt Ford engineers put some serious time into this.

You can increase rebound damping to slow down the bounce but then you're at risk of "packing" over repeated hits as the suspension travel is gradually reduced.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finding the right balance between rebound and compression damping, and valving, in all expected situations takes a LOT of work...no doubt Ford engineers put some serious time into this.

You can increase rebound damping to slow down the bounce but then you're at risk of "packing" over repeated hits as the suspension travel is gradually reduced.
Yeah, will probably just wait until one of the big shock companies actually produce something that says it's for the Ranger.
Sponsored