Nitrogen

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
My Ranger has those little green valve stem caps showing the tires were filled with Nitrogen. Is it worth finding a nitro fill station or just top the low ones off with regular air? Never had nitrogen filled tires in any other vehicle before.
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Not worth the bother.

The nitrogen is basically a cash grab from the dealer.

While nitrogen is more stable and will maintain more even tire pressure, the benefit is pretty much lost on a street driven vehicle.

Race cars, yes. Daily driver to the Home Depot, Wally World, etc, waste of money.

This is my opinion and if you combine it with $2.99 at Waffle House you can exchange it for a cup of coffee.

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
Not worth the bother.

The nitrogen is basically a cash grab from the dealer.

While nitrogen is more stable and will maintain more even tire pressure, the benefit is pretty much lost on a street driven vehicle.

Race cars, yes. Daily driver to the Home Depot, Wally World, etc, waste of money.

This is my opinion and if you combine it with $2.99 at Waffle House you can exchange it for a cup of coffee.
Agreed, anything the finance manager tries to sell when you are trying leave with your new vehicle is heavily inflated and not very useful. Now I just have.to find the stupid alarm they tried to sell me for $700 and get it to stop squealing at me every time I start.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Regular old free air is already 78% nitrogen. If you want all nitrogen, simply let 22% of the air out of the tire, and re-fill it. The "new" air will contain 78% nitrogen, bleed off 22% and you should have 100% nitrogen filled tire. :crackup::crackup::crackup:
But, seriously, not worth the hassle. To keep up your tires with "factory" supplied nitrogen you would have to refill or top off at a location that has the nitrogen available, and you will most likely be charged.
Better off filling with helium. That will give the Ranger the semblance of a lighter than air balloon resulting in less "sprung" weight leading to increased mileage, less tire wear, and possibly the need for a light aircraft piolet license.

Last edited:

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Not worth it.

As you deflate the tires for off-road you would lose the nitrogen anyway unless you carry nitrogen tank with you. Anyway air it 78% nitrogen so it's pretty close.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Not remotely worth it. I just keep a small compressor in my garage and check tires periodically.

Plus, I just HATE those green valve stem caps. ?

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just fill them up with summer air, it gets better mileage than winter air.:rolleyes:
This is also very true. Warm air is less dense than cold air, thus it rises much better than cold air.
Since warm air rises, it exerts upward pressure on each tire, which in turn reduces the "sprung" weight of the vehicle, again leading to better mileage and less tire wear. :like:
Think "hot air balloon"....do you think it would float if you filled it with "cold air" ???

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
This is also very true. Warm air is less dense than cold air, thus it rises much better than cold air.
Since warm air rises, it exerts upward pressure on each tire, which in turn reduces the "sprung" weight of the vehicle, again leading to better mileage and less tire wear. :like:
Think "hot air balloon"....do you think it would float if you filled it with "cold air" ???
This gives me a brilliant idea that Ford is bound to snap up and then deny me any deserved royalties.

What if we combine 2 threads and, hear me out now, put the Ranger's thermonuclear seat heaters inside the tires?

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
Great link that covers it all. Not truly a scam, but a waste of money and time with no real world benefit.

Frank

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Note....do NOT try and save your farts, thinking it is better in a concentrated form...it is not.
Farts only contain around 60% nitrogen. So save that bean and chili money, and forget walking around behind a cow with a bottle... and just use "un-farted" air
Sponsored