First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
A dealer I went to today had this as a $275 option tacked onto the sticker.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
With all the Sport trimmed Rangers I think a Magnetic Gray color is warranted. I'm not sure I'll get any of those colors. Sure would like to see some photos of the colors side by side.
Last time I looked at Eyecatcher on Amazon they did have a Graphite color which is close to the magnetic gray Sport trim. I wasn't sure I wanted to go black so I held off until I saw this new color. Glad I held off.....

IMG_0734.jpg

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Last time I looked at Eyecatcher on Amazon they did have a Graphite color which is close to the magnetic gray Sport trim. I wasn't sure I wanted to go black so I held off until I saw this new color. Glad I held off.....

IMG_0734.jpg
While I like the color I chose I was not happy with the installation. The Eyecatcher installation instructions are clear but their 'clear' film is pretty much impossible to see thru well enough to align the tops of the letters as described in the install instructions (thus making installation more of a crap shoot than a 'sure thing'). In hindsight if I were to install these again I would cut off the [not quite] 'clear' film right above the tops of the letters to allow for better visibility and placement. As it stands I was unhappy with the final placement of the last two letters and I ended up removing all of them.

Last edited:

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
While I like the color I chose I was not happy with the installation. The Eyecatcher installation instructions are clear but the 'clear' layer that holds the letters properly spaced is pretty much impossible to see thru well enough to align the tops of the letters as described in the install instructions (thus making installation more of a crap shoot than a 'sure thing'.) In hindsight if I were to install these again I would cut out the 'clear' layer right above the tops of the letters to allow for better visibility and placement. As it stands I was unhappy with the final placement of the last two letters and I ended up throwing this $72 bling in the trash and I have no plans to try again.
I was thinking I would buy these. The last 2 letters look properly positioned in the enlarged photo view. How much are they off?

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The "E" was running uphill by maybe ~ 1/8". The bottom leg of the "e" was a bit crooked but I was able to fix that. To be honest it didn't look bad from a couple of feet back but close up it annoyed me. It's pretty difficult to see thru the 'clear film' to see where it should be affixed but once the film is removed it was obviously placed incorrectly. I recommend cutting the excess 'clear film' away for best visibility (or removing the film altogether and placing the letters individually). I was tempted to buy again but in truth I like it better without the bling.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the last two letters are off but 95% of people wouldn't notice. I didn't at first.
Being honest, that would bother me but I'm OCD.

Buddyshelton

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
I bought my letters from TVD vinyl lettering and used the wet install method which is what they suggest. That gives you the option to move them around as needed till you get them just right.

IMG_20190505_164610845ramger.jpg

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yes, the last two letters are off but 95% of people wouldn't notice. I didn't at first.
Being honest, that would bother me but I'm OCD.
Yep. OCD is a curse.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I bought my letters from TVD vinyl lettering and used the wet install method which is what they suggest. That gives you the option to move them around as needed till you get them just right.

IMG_20190505_164610845ramger.jpg
Yeah that's definitely an advantage. That said, the Eyecatchers have a 3-D look, the vinyl stickers do not so there's that too.....

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The "E" was running uphill by maybe ~ 1/8". The bottom leg of the "e" was a bit crooked but I was able to fix that. To be honest it didn't look bad from a couple of feet back but close up it annoyed me. It's pretty difficult to see thru the 'clear film' to see where it should be affixed but once the film is removed it was obviously placed incorrectly. I recommend cutting the excess 'clear film' away for best visibility (or removing the film altogether and placing the letters individually). I was tempted to buy again but in truth I like it better without the bling.
Is there any possibility to adjust? In the past, on things like this, I have found it helps to start with just a small part of the backing peeled off so as to line it up and finish removing as you press it in place. Do you think that would work on individual letters?

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Is there any possibility to adjust? In the past, on things like this, I have found it helps to start with just a small part of the backing peeled off so as to line it up and finish removing as you press it in place. Do you think that would work on individual letters?
The idea with the 'clear film' is it sticks to the truck but the letters barely touch. If the film were truly clear it would be a big help. That's why I mentioned cutting that film away at the top of the letters so you can see what you're doing. But, yeah another possibility is to individually apply each letter (not the 2 at a time eyecatcher deal). The trick there is the letters are plastic and floppy (unlike like the Ford SS variants) so you could maybe get the top of the 'E" correct then work the middle leg then the bottom leg but 3 chances for screw up on just one letter. The 'clear' film stabilizes that 'e' [for example] and preserves the spacing between legs. I'd probably be tempted to cut the letters apart but still use the 'clear film'. Cut the 'clear' film off at the top of each letter (and maybe some on the leading side as well)....

Then again, I'm probably the only klutz that screwed up an Eyecatcher install...go for it!

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The idea with the 'clear film' is it sticks to the truck but the letters barely touch. If the film were truly clear it would be a big help. That's why I mentioned cutting that film away at the top of the letters so you can see what you're doing. But, yeah another possibility is to individually apply each letter (not the 2 at a time eyecatcher deal). The trick there is the letters are plastic and floppy (unlike like the Ford SS variants) so you could maybe get the top of the 'E" correct then work the middle leg then the bottom leg but 3 chances for screw up on just one letter. The 'clear' film stabilizes that 'e' [for example] and preserves the spacing between legs. I'd probably be tempted to cut the letters apart but still use the 'clear film'. Cut the 'clear' film off at the top of each letter (and maybe some on the leading side as well)....

Then again, I'm probably the only klutz that screwed up an Eyecatcher install...go for it!
Thanks for the explanation. I was not understanding that the 'clear' film helps the process by sticking to the truck. It might be even more difficult to see the position on a white truck.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks for the explanation. I was not understanding that the 'clear' film helps the process by sticking to the truck. It might be even more difficult to see the position on a white truck.
Great news....keep reading...:)

Note: I don't usually share vendor replies but I think it's best to share this:
Eyecatcher Response:
"My apologies, you indeed received the incorrect carrier on your Gloss Graphite Ranger. I am very sorry for that. We are sending you a new one out right away at no charge with the correct CLEAR carrier via USPS Priority. You are again correct, this RANGER tailgate is a very Tricky installation, unless of course you have our CLEAR carrier system to get perfect results. We were in such a hurry to release this custom Pearl Gloss Graphite color that we got a little ahead of ourselves. The "not so clear" carrier part you received was part of our R&D and we have discovered several of these got into the system by accident. Our RANGER letter quality came exceptional as you know, and now all of our RANGERS' including our newest release Gloss Graphite Pearl Inlays have our famous Crystal Clear Installation Carrier. You're RANGER is going to look fantastic!"

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
Great news....keep reading...:)

Note: I don't usually share vendor replies but I think it's best to share this:
I really like a company that says "my bad" . . I could work with them
Sponsored