OP
OP
NotBudule

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
If you think one RP is tough to deal with stay away from Tacoma World! There's about 10,000 of them over there and you wouldn't last an hour. lol ?
An hour is not even a record for me , and im sending in Budule , NOT NotBudule.... Comeing in HOT ! " Sold my Ranger and got tricked into this Crappy ass, bathtub seats , horribly underpowered ( Why this V6 not even keep up with my 4 banger ?) Tacoma , and why the damn tailgate drop so damn slow , this POS got a damper on it ? ".... That should do it...
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
An hour is not even a record for me , and im sending in Budule , NOT NotBudule.... Comeing in HOT ! " Sold my Ranger and got tricked into this Crappy ass, bathtub seats , horribly underpowered ( Why this V6 not even keep up with my 4 banger ?) Tacoma , and why the damn tailgate drop so damn slow , this POS got a damper on it ? ".... That should do it...
The only good thing about the Tacoma is it comes stock with a damper. Go figure! :facepalm:

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I've been double taxed on a vehicle before. My old Honda was paid off free and clear when I moved to NC. NC has a hefty vehicle "use tax", I think instead of sales tax. So when I first registered the car here, I had to pay up, even though it was long paid off and I had paid all my sales taxes from the state where I bought it.

Can't say I've ever bought a vehicle outside the state where I lived at the time, though.

When I bought my Ranger in NC, that use tax was baked into the financing and whatnot, so it didn't seem as impactful.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
My Ranger was purchased out of state. They had a retired guy drive it 700 miles to my door and hop in my vehicle I was trading in and drive it the 700 miles back. Delivery was included in my OTD price. The dealer did write me a check to get the taxes and title paid in Ohio but I had to go to the BMV and do the work. (saved me $500 from my invoice to do the paperwork myself).

All in all, it wasn't bad. I have never traded in for a new vehicle before so I liked that the taxes were only on the difference in trade in value. I did not get charged for a Virginia tax and Ohio tax. Just the state of residency.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
You should never pay taxes to a state that you don't reside in. You would only pay the taxes in your home state. So the dealer was wrong in collecting taxes. It should have been on you to pay your state sales tax at your DMV. So the DMV was correct that they needed to collect tax. Your dealer should reimburse you the taxes that you paid to them.
That is incorrect there are a couple states where you have to pay taxes for both, dealers have a big binder that goes through it. But you are wrong there are a few states where you do pay taxes in both states.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer claims by law they have to because WV is a "reciprical" state , and he listed ones that were and ones that aren't . I calmly ( im getting better) explained I had ZERO F**ks to give , that wasn't the deal as I understood it (couldn't care less if was in the fine print or not) and that I would be crying but would still help them load the truck so they didn't screw it up.... So , someday soon , if your looking for a Supercabs , a dealer in Indiana is gona have a nice carbon Grey , blackout package xlt on the lot , 1000 miles now , but more if they drive it back..... The GOOD NEWS HERE , for most , maybe all , I won't have to be here anymore ! RP ! This might be your happy day sir !
The dealer is correct, while they should have explained it to you prior the only high ground you have is the moral one not the legal one.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, just wow….. That dealer might be ignorant, shady or maybe even both. However, when buying a vehicle, boat, airplane, motorcycle or anything of the like that requires state registration (because, taxes) you always and only pay for what state (county) you are going to register it in. During my paltry 35 minutes at the Florida dealer (thank you 3rd party auto negotiator), while reviewing the “long sheet“, I made sure to confirm that Georgia taxes, and ONLY Georgia taxes were notated and included.
That is not right. If you are from out of state and it is a state that has that agreement you pay taxes for the state you purchase it in and have to pay the taxes when you register the vehicle in your home state.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
... My gut is telling me there is NOWAY they are gona come get a truck in WV from way up in Indiana over 2500 bucks... But that just may be the case , i got a thousand mile test drive if nothing else , and another new truck when I can find one...
I don't know the legalese in your case, but I'd hold my ground and continue to call his bluff. Worse that can happen is he comes for the truck. They may still come out ahead, as the taxes you paid in IN may not be refundable. And with the market as it is, they may get more for the truck than you paid.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
That is not right. If you are from out of state and it is a state that has that agreement you pay taxes for the state you purchase it in and have to pay the taxes when you register the vehicle in your home state.
The Op said he bought the Ranger in Indiana and lives in West Virginia. I can't find anything that states WV and Indiana have a tax reciprocity

OP
OP
NotBudule

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Either way , legal or not on my end , they have agreed to give me my 17500 back and I owe nothing and they will pick up ranger. I informed him I had all the texts where they say all thats supposed to have been done by them , probably some fine print that says otherwise but whos got time to read that stuff ? No biggie really , not sure what its gona cost them to get it (im 8 hours away at least) but Super cab available in Indiana soon if anybody in that area , im gona check their site soon and see if they mark it up ... Its got the tailgate letters now .... Oh , I got that little console tray/coin holdy thing I bought , ill snag that for somebody here maybe...

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
The Op said he bought the Ranger in Indiana and lives in West Virginia. I can't find anything that states WV and Indiana have a tax reciprocity
I can't speak to that specific case but people saying its a scam or not a thing are dead wrong. That is what I was addressing, whether or not those two states have it idk but it does exist and is not a fake thing made up to get more money. Actually I take that back it is a fake bs thing made to get more money but its the states doing it not the dealer.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
It's all confusing because all states have their own agreements and whatnot with each other. According to this page, West Virginia residents will pay a 6% sales tax on vehicles purchased in Indiana. West Virginia's state sales tax is 6%. You would have to pay the difference between what you paid and what your total local sales tax was when registering the vehicle. So, this all seems real fucky.

I know every state is different, but when I've bought a vehicle out of state in Missouri, and then registered it in Kansas, I only paid the difference from what Missouri collected.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.