First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
Sooo I forgot to lock my truck last night (I do this every few weeks, bad habit) and my truck was broken into. I have it all on footage, filed a report and am not expecting much but hoping for the best. Anyways, I was wondering if our trucks have some kind of auto locking feature that locks the truck after X amount of time of inactivity. I remember this being a feature on some older vehicles but forgot what make/models. Do our trucks come with it and can it be enabled with or without forscan? I have a 2021 XLT w/ tech package.

I have a spare set of keys and the fordpass app so I'm not worried about my keys being accidentally locked inside the truck.

Thanks!
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
There's no auto lock on the Ranger. It would be a nice feature if you set the delay up to what suits you best. I do like you can lock/unlock from the app because there are times when we're out and I second guess myself and lock it again from the app.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I’ve had several vehicles broken into over the years and in each case they damaged the vehicle to get in. Two broken windows and a punched lock. I almost believe it’s better to leave nothing of value in the car and leave the car unlocked. Let the thief look around and move on. If they are out to steal the vehicle, they will probably get it, locked or not. This is why I will never again install an aftermarket radio.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
There's no auto lock on the Ranger. It would be a nice feature if you set the delay up to what suits you best. I do like you can lock/unlock from the app because there are times when we're out and I second guess myself and lock it again from the app.
Dave, I always lock after shutting down the truck and never noticed the locking feature. Also as you mentioned would be great for double checking. Just looked at FordPass and looks like the two padlock icons between the start icon? Any limitations as to the distance needed to engage it?

OP
OP
arbjosh

arbjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
Dave, I always lock after shutting down the truck and never noticed the locking feature. Also as you mentioned would be great for double checking. Just looked at FordPass and looks like the two padlock icons between the start icon? Any limitations as to the distance needed to engage it?
I use this feature a lot as well. As far as I can tell there are no limits, you can lock, unlock, and start the truck from China. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Not sure if you have any home automation, but my family has mainly Apple devices and I've setup a program called HomeBridge that allows non-HomeKit compatible devices to operate along with it. Someone has been able to configure a plugin to access the Ford API and allow me to lock/unlock and remote start our vehicles by asking Siri.

Homebridge / GitHub - Brandawg93/homebridge-fordpass: Control your Ford vehicle in HomeKit using Homebridge.

There is also someone who has written a custom Shortcut for the Apple Shortcuts app that can perform the functions of FordPass as well. This way you can schedule automations to auto-lock your vehicle at a certain time.

FordPass Siri Shortcuts | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
As Josh said there's no distance limitations. Most of the time when I do this we're at a restaurant or out shopping so not a huge distance but it still works and you'll receive confirmation too.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
The last person who decided that the contents of my vehicle were his, is still in Leavenworth, after 25+ years. In his case, the third strike did the trick.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I sat up the Siri shortcuts so if I think I forgot to lock it I can just ask Siri if my truck is locked, and lock it if it isn't. But I almost never forget to lock it. You can also set a automation script to run the lock shortcut at a given time, say 10PM.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I use this feature a lot as well. As far as I can tell there are no limits, you can lock, unlock, and start the truck from China. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Sooo I forgot to lock my truck last night (I do this every few weeks, bad habit) and my truck was broken into. I have it all on footage, filed a report and am not expecting much but hoping for the best. Anyways, I was wondering if our trucks have some kind of auto locking feature that locks the truck after X amount of time of inactivity. I remember this being a feature on some older vehicles but forgot what make/models. Do our trucks come with it and can it be enabled with or without forscan? I have a 2021 XLT w/ tech package.

I have a spare set of keys and the fordpass app so I'm not worried about my keys being accidentally locked inside the truck.

Thanks!
ON all the Hondas and the Mazda CR5 we had, all of which had push button start/stops, there was always an option for timed auto lock. I know I don’t have one with the keyed ignition but has anyone on here replied that has the push button start/stop that can say for certain there is no option for auto lock?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
They have one on the Fiesta :rolleyes:

Jiffy Lube drove it into the bay, left the keys in the ignition, closed the door...lock...call the locksmith...oil change took 2 hours...:rolleyes:

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
The limitations is the truck has to be where there is cell phone coverage and you have to be where there is cell phone coverage.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
…..I almost believe it’s better to leave nothing of value in the car and leave the car unlocked. Let the thief look around and move on…..
I never locked my wrangler for this reason. I never left anything of value in it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
They have one on the Fiesta :rolleyes:

Jiffy Lube drove it into the bay, left the keys in the ignition, closed the door...lock...call the locksmith...oil change took 2 hours...:rolleyes:
That was your first mistake Sid....Going to Jiffy Lube. lol ?

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
I sat up the Siri shortcuts so if I think I forgot to lock it I can just ask Siri if my truck is locked, and lock it if it isn't. But I almost never forget to lock it. You can also set a automation script to run the lock shortcut at a given time, say 10PM.
This was gonna be my suggestion as well. I hadn’t thought about it, I’ve never forgotten to lock my truck, but I may set up the times automation for every night JUST to be safe.

My habit is always leaving my phone in the truck. Any shortcut for this?
Sponsored