Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
Clarkson reviewing the Murci:

Ed Bolian's "free" Murci is painted that color. He daily drives it.
Sponsored

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Why not put the battery in the bed?

OP
OP
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
Why not put the battery in the bed?
Don't want it to get stolen, and we have plenty of other stuff to use the bed for...

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Even in slower stuff where a lot of people think you need four wheel drive, a two wheel drive vehicle can do pretty well.

That looks like me in my Ford fu*$&!@ Ranger! 4x2 lol. The fx4 was just too much money i didn't care to pay for

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
If you wanted it bad enough in the back I will bet that you could figure out a way to secure it.

OP
OP
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
your audience here consists of a large crowd of people who complain how much the Ranger cost....wrong crowd to set dreaming on supercars
I was responding to Msfitoy's interest in owning a Lamborghini.

Just because a person owns a supercar, doesn't mean they can't also own a Ranger, and just because someone owns a Ranger, doesn't mean they can't also afford a supercar...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
True, but you didn't understand my comment then.
Hi RP,

A bit of a back story.... Had an engineer that owned a Ferrari Testarosa super car. He decided to make money by flipping super cars as the market was hot. Then the bottom fell out as the recession hit....so he had this beautiful Ferrari Red supercar in his garage...he could not afford the insurance to insure it for driving... I briefly entertained buying it but the cost of maintaining it was astronomical, so declined. He finally sold it at a huge loss and I think if was so grave it took him maybe 10 years to climb out of his debt...

I was on the list to buy a Ford GT in 2005 but married my wife...so we ended up buying a Motorhome instead for about $50,000 more that the GT. Today the Motorhome is worthless and the GT is through the roof.....sigh!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi RP,

A bit of a back story.... Had an engineer that owned a Ferrari Testarosa super car. He decided to make money by flipping super cars as the market was hot. Then the bottom fell out as the recession hit....so he had this beautiful Ferrari Red supercar in his garage...he could not afford the insurance to insure it for driving... I briefly entertained buying it but the cost of maintaining it was astronomical, so declined. He finally sold it at a huge loss and I think if was so grave it took him maybe 10 years to climb out of his debt...

I was on the list to buy a Ford GT in 2005 but married my wife...so we ended up buying a Motorhome instead for about $50,000 more that the GT. Today the Motorhome is worthless and the GT is through the roof.....sigh!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Back story Phil...when I started as a young designer at Ford back in 1985, there was a top secret mid engine project underway...you probably know what I'm talking about...it didn't make it and was swept under the rug...forward to 1999, my chief designer asked me to sketch up a concept to bring to the big boy table and see if a Ford mid engine super car can be resurrected...a few months later, we were given a go...in 2000, the project "Petunia" was well on it's way and I was the lead exterior designer...for better or worse, career choice led me to leave Ford for GM right at this time and the project was handed to my friend, Camilo, who finished the project and is credited along Jay Mays for this design...He has several GTs but I have the original sketch...

GT-SIDE-small.jpg

Last edited:

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Back story Phil...when I started as a young designer at Ford back in 1985, there was a top secret mid engine project underway...you probably know what I'm talking about...it didn't make it and was swept under the rug...forward to 1999, my chief designer asked me to sketch up a concept to bring to the big boy table and see if a Ford mid engine super car can be resurrected...a few months later, we were given a go...in 2000, the project "Petunia" was well on it's way and I was the lead exterior designer...for better or worse, career choice led me to leave Ford for GM right at this time and the project was handed to my friend, Camilo, who finished the project and is credited along Jay Mays for this design...He has several GTs but I have the original sketch...

GT-SIDE-small.jpg
Do you have a front and rear sketch? You er really teasing us with just one pic like that ?
Would love to see the rest.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a front and rear sketch? You er really teasing us with just one pic like that ?
Would love to see the rest.
The rest is rolling around out there and I can't afford any one of them lol...this sketch was a kick off and the design evolved to where it ended up...I'm not saying I'm responsible for the final design since obviously I left the project mid term but it sure turned out perfect...interesting that there's no sketches of the GT....as far as I know, I have all that exist early in the project...

OP
OP
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
Hi RP,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I think they made a movie about your friend:

OP
OP
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
...and yes, most motorhomes are a financial dumpster fire.

We REALLY bought ours right, although it wasn't a motorhome when we bought it- it was an armored 6x6 gun truck that had been attached to a Marine special forces unit.

When it was new in 2007, it cost the U.S. government $250,000. It never deployed, and after putting about 3,000 miles on it, they sent it to auction, where we snagged it for about $15,000 in nearly perfect condition- I had to replace one exterior light bulb.

20201113_082447.jpg
20201113_082512.jpg
20201123_193055.jpg
20201112_154333.jpg

Frio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
...and yes, most motorhomes are a financial dumpster fire.

We REALLY bought ours right, although it wasn't a motorhome when we bought it- it was an armored 6x6 gun truck that had been attached to a Marine special forces unit.

When it was new in 2007, it cost the U.S. government $250,000. It never deployed, and after putting about 3,000 miles on it, they sent it to auction, where we snagged it for about $15,000 in nearly perfect condition- I had to replace one exterior light bulb.

20201113_082447.jpg
20201113_082512.jpg
20201123_193055.jpg
20201112_154333.jpg
Damn, quite the deal indeed! Curious, how many feet per gallon on that thing?

OP
OP
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
Damn, quite the deal indeed!
Yeah, $235,000 off is a pretty good discount.

Curious, how many feet per gallon on that thing?
It is rated at about 4.5 mpg.

When we moved 2,000+ miles from Portlandia to central Texas, I drove it up against it's 65 mph speed limiter pretty much the whole way, and it got about 4.5 mpg...
Sponsored