Think I Threw a Rod....

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I'd say if you don't have a new inspection window then you haven't thrown a rod, but sure sounds like it's broke.
I have had two thrown rods, Chevy and VW. Neither penetrated the block casting.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
You are hot rodding the motor, it died. Now Ford should fix it?
What am I missing?
Ford Has a similar tune, it’s just not Ford Performance tuned... ?

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2012 360 hp Golf R... APR tuned... I‘ve never heard this from an engine before... I don’t think it‘s the tune... I’m just waiting for the outcome ? I trust the tune....

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You are hot rodding the motor, it died. Now Ford should fix it?
What am I missing?
You’re missing the fact that you’re the guy, driving in the right hand lane with your hazards on... live life, put a K&N filter on... ??

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Yep, inspection window mod is not always done when you throw a rod. Totally depends on engine speed at the time of the incident.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
You were wise buying the 5 star warranty. I'd expect 5 star to be selling a lot more warranties as this thread proceeds.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
No sir I didn’t, I realized I screwed up when towed it in and should have... but then they could see the boost I was running etc... hahaha took all the NGauge off etc... but they don’t recognize the truck, because of the tune... it’s about to get down to brass tack facts.... whose going to cover the warranty??
Makes no difference. IDS will show if it had a tune or not. It will also show speed, rpm, boost, oil pressure (or lack of) and everything else that was going on when it failed. As soon as dealer connects to IDS, Ford will have captured everything.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I carry my SCT BDX with me in case my Ranger freaks out on me so I can reset things if needed. I know an examination of the ECM will show how many times it's been programmed but I don't think it will reveal anything incriminating as far as bad tuning.

Reputable tuners aren't going to push your engine beyond their limitations and it doesn't sound like you altered anything mechanical that would cause a catastrophic failure so I suspect you are just one of those unfortunates that the factory warranty is there to protect.

Hope it wasn't due to oil loss.

Sucks to be without your truck though.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Sounds like sudden oil loss? Oil plug fall out?

R_B

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
Occupation
Retired
When I was looking to buy a Ranger, I found one that could possibly be affected by a problem with the balance shaft & oil pump assembly. Not a recall but a Manufacture Communication.
I asked the dealer about it and he would not confirm anything. He said they would check it out when the sale goes through. I believe that truck also had either the intermittent taillight recall or the blower motor short recall.

When I tried to negotiate in an internet email, he actually raised the price $500 which led me to different dealer & included the Technology package.

The build date was 8-29-2019.
I wonder if it is a related problem. It looks like it would seize the engine.

Here's a link to the pdf file on NHTSA website: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10167304-0001.pdf

Good Luck & keep us in the loop!

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I carry my SCT BDX with me in case my Ranger freaks out on me so I can reset things if needed. I know an examination of the ECM will show how many times it's been programmed but I don't think it will reveal anything incriminating as far as bad tuning.

Reputable tuners aren't going to push your engine beyond their limitations and it doesn't sound like you altered anything mechanical that would cause a catastrophic failure so I suspect you are just one of those unfortunates that the factory warranty is there to protect.

Hope it wasn't due to oil loss.

Sucks to be without your truck though.
I’m as you, had my chip constantly intact with my N Guage.. if I had to pick a new tune due to gas quality, etc... it was there... I never got a check engine light or anything... just a sudden loud knocking noise and loss of oil pressure critical warning... just curious to see who’s going to cover the warranty... was it just an factory oil pump failure? Or was it the tune?? I’m under warranty either way, just want to see how this plays out... I’ll be pissed if I’m out of pocket...

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Just August 29th's builds? That's oddly specific ?

Reactions: R_B

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I have a 2012 360 hp Golf R... APR tuned... I‘ve never heard this from an engine before... I don’t think it‘s the tune... I’m just waiting for the outcome ? I trust the tune....
It's a sickening feeling when it happens. My VW Vanagon was a diesel, and I was on my way to the machine shop to drop off a new block to be bored and honed. I finished building the new engine and kept on driving. The Chevy Vega was no big deal. I bought it for $50, drove about 4000 miles, threw a rod, and sold it as a project for $50. I didn't even have to pay for a tow. I really hope yours works out well. Modern vehicles are so complex that installing a new engine is a daunting task. I've done a bunch, but hope to never do another.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I’m as you, had my chip constantly intact with my N Guage.. if I had to pick a new tune due to gas quality, etc... it was there... I never got a check engine light or anything... just a sudden loud knocking noise and loss of oil pressure critical warning... just curious to see who’s going to cover the warranty... was it just an factory oil pump failure? Or was it the tune?? I’m under warranty either way, just want to see how this plays out... I’ll be pissed if I’m out of pocket...
Saw in another thread titled the same someone linked a release that August 29th 2019 engines were being examined for defects that could lead to catastrophic failure...

R_B

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
Occupation
Retired
Just August 29th's builds? That's oddly specific ?
I thought the same thing...I would be suspicious about any build around that date.
Sponsored