First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I know it’s subjective but can you try to list rear shocks In order of firmness. I’m interested in Eibach, Bilstein 5100, Fox 2.0. Moderate off-road, mostly street. I don’t want to change the front so I still want the rear to feel like it belongs. What’s the best fit for me.

I’d like to control the side to side and still keep a comfortable highway ride.
Sponsored

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
I know it’s subjective but can you try to list rear shocks In order of firmness. I’m interested in Eibach, Bilstein 5100, Fox 2.0. Moderate off-road, mostly street. I don’t want to change the front so I still want the rear to feel like it belongs. What’s the best fit for me.

I’d like to control the side to side and still keep a comfortable highway ride.
I haven't been in a Ranger with a set of Eibachs on it as of yet, so keep in mind, this opinion is mostly based off my experiences with the F150s with a few Toyotas thrown in:

Softest to firmest from what I have experience in:
  • Rancho RS5000
  • Rancho RS9000XL
  • Bilstein 5100 <- These are essentially tied.
  • Eibach Pro-Truck <- These are essentially tied.
  • Falcon Sport
  • Fox 2.0
  • Icon 2.0
  • Elka 2.5
  • Fox 2.5
  • King 2.5
  • ICON 2.5

I haven't had the opportunity to try out the Eibach 2.0 coilovers, the Elka 2.0s, or the Elka IFP 2.5s yet, nor any of Rough Country's offerings. Anyone with some experience with those options, please feel free to chime in.

Also keep in mind that the difference in overall stiffness between the Fox 2.0s and the Bilstein/Eibachs isn't huge (same goes for the difference between the Elka, Fox, and King 2.5s), and the Fox 2.0s ride extremely well on the street.

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Where do you think Old Man Emu would fit in?
Hard to say. I've never been in a truck with OMEs. Unfortunately, OME and ARB don't take a lot of interest in the F150s for whatever reason. I guess they're not popular enough down under.

If I were to take a guess, they'd probably slot in between the Ranchos and Bilsteins/Eibachs, but I can't strictly guarantee that.

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
I haven't been in a Ranger with a set of Eibachs on it as of yet, so keep in mind, this opinion is mostly based off my experiences with the F150s with a few Toyotas thrown in:

Softest to firmest from what I have experience in:
  • Rancho RS5000
  • Rancho RS9000XL
  • Bilstein 5100 <- These are essentially tied.
  • Eibach Pro-Truck <- These are essentially tied.
  • Falcon Sport
  • Fox 2.0
  • Icon 2.0
  • Elka 2.5
  • Fox 2.5
  • King 2.5
  • ICON 2.5

I haven't had the opportunity to try out the Eibach 2.0 coilovers, the Elka 2.0s, or the Elka IFP 2.5s yet, nor any of Rough Country's offerings. Anyone with some experience with those options, please feel free to chime in.

Also keep in mind that the difference in overall stiffness between the Fox 2.0s and the Bilstein/Eibachs isn't huge (same goes for the difference between the Elka, Fox, and King 2.5s), and the Fox 2.0s ride extremely well on the street.
Sooo uhhh any Black Friday deals expected on Suspension kits for the Ranger? Looking for a set of 2.5s

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
I put rough country shocks on the rear of mine until my Icon kit shows up.
Massive difference in rear control!

SPEEDBUILT

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Strength Coach
Hard to say. I've never been in a truck with OMEs. Unfortunately, OME and ARB don't take a lot of interest in the F150s for whatever reason. I guess they're not popular enough down under.

If I were to take a guess, they'd probably slot in between the Ranchos and Bilsteins/Eibachs, but I can't strictly guarantee that.
Your feelings on the different versions of the Fox 2.0?
Ready to buy a full set!

OP
OP
Rp930

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I’m ready to buy rears but haven’t seen anything compelling.

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Your feelings on the different versions of the Fox 2.0?
Honestly, the minute amount of difference between the Fox, Roush, and Ford Performance variants aren't enough to change my rankings. Your choice should really depend on availability at this point more than anything else. Especially considering the standard Fox 2.0s are on an extended backorder. I'm not sure about the Roush and Ford Performance variants.

Any of the Fox 2.0 variations are going to be an improvement over stock and more or less perform in a similar manner, so getting hung up on the minutiae of valving and spring rates in essentially the same shock body is time and energy better spent elsewhere.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
I put rough country shocks on the rear of mine until my Icon kit shows up.
Massive difference in rear control!
Did you put in Rough Country N3 Rear Shocks? Did you put boots on them?
Are they better then the factory FX4 rear shocks?

Last edited:

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
The factory FX4 shocks were an OK compromise on my Crew 4x4. I drive over rail tracks and wash boarded up gravel roads regularly and wanted something to help keep the back end from swinging out. I rode in a Ranger with Rough Country shocks and it was way too stiff. I went with the Fox 2.0 shocks and am very happy with that. Compared to the factory shocks, the Fox 2.0 seem have a soft compression in the ride zone, then stiffen close to bottom, but the extension has way more pressure to overcome. I think this essentially helps keep the back end from "jumping" when on wash board / tracks. My 0.02c

OP
OP
Rp930

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The factory FX4 shocks were an OK compromise on my Crew 4x4. I drive over rail tracks and wash boarded up gravel roads regularly and wanted something to help keep the back end from swinging out. I rode in a Ranger with Rough Country shocks and it was way too stiff. I went with the Fox 2.0 shocks and am very happy with that. Compared to the factory shocks, the Fox 2.0 seem have a soft compression in the ride zone, then stiffen close to bottom, but the extension has way more pressure to overcome. I think this essentially helps keep the back end from "jumping" when on wash board / tracks. My 0.02c
Great information. Thanks.

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Did you put in Rough Country N3 Rear Shocks? Did you put boots on them?
Are they better then the factory FX4 rear shocks?
They are the N3,s,and I had borrowed a pair of FX4’s that were takeoffs,NO comparison,the rough countries are far superior in my experience.They got rid of the rear hop in a corner when hitting bumps,and got rid of a huge amount of the rolly polly garbage these things have.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
They are the N3,s,and I had borrowed a pair of FX4’s that were takeoffs,NO comparison,the rough countries are far superior in my experience.They got rid of the rear hop in a corner when hitting bumps,and got rid of a huge amount of the rolly polly garbage these things have.
Wow thanks. The N3's are pretty affordable new too.

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Wow thanks. The N3's are pretty affordable new too.
Exactly why I gave them a shot,really glad I did too.
I did buy them through amazon incase I was not happy with them,so I could return them if need be.
But really pleased with them.
Sponsored