First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RWD, 2019 Lincoln Nautilus
Occupation
Retired
Let me start out by saying I absolutely LOVE my Ranger Lariat! I won’t discuss here the things I wish it had that were not available on even the top of the line Ranger. HOWEVER, there are two features it DOES have that are pretty much useless as they came out from the factory.
  1. The Fold-in Mirrors – Why would they design these to where the switch has to be ON for the mirror button to have power? By the time I remember to fold them in, it’s after the switch is already off, and I am out of the truck. I can’t even open the door and reach in to push the button to fold them in. Ideally, this should have been designed with an option to fold them in by default every time the switch is turned off. Either way, the button should be full time powered, even with the ignition off.
  1. The Sliding Back Window – After driving a Sport Trac for 13 years with a wide, full opening top to bottom electric window, that could be opened or closed while going down the highway, this tiny, square, manually sliding window, is useless to me. I don’t foresee a time when I will ever be driving down the interstate and decide I want to open it, pull over to the side of the road, get out, get in the back seat, and open the window manually. This window should have been designed with the convenience of an electric switch to be used from the driver’s seat.
I could write multiple pages on what I LIKE about my Ranger, but, after driving it for a month, these are about the only two things that I could find that are REAL shortcomings in my opinion. Thanks for the opportunity to have a place to vent!
Sponsored

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Let me start out by saying I absolutely LOVE my Ranger Lariat! I won’t discuss here the things I wish it had that were not available on even the top of the line Ranger. HOWEVER, there are two features it DOES have that are pretty much useless as they came out from the factory.
  1. The Fold-in Mirrors – Why would they design these to where the switch has to be ON for the mirror button to have power? By the time I remember to fold them in, it’s after the switch is already off, and I am out of the truck. I can’t even open the door and reach in to push the button to fold them in. Ideally, this should have been designed with an option to fold them in by default every time the switch is turned off. Either way, the button should be full time powered, even with the ignition off.
  2. The Sliding Back Window – After driving a Sport Trac for 13 years with a wide, full opening top to bottom electric window, that could be opened or closed while going down the highway, this tiny, square, manually sliding window, is useless to me. I don’t foresee a time when I will ever be driving down the interstate and decide I want to open it, pull over to the side of the road, get out, get in the back seat, and open the window manually. This window should have been designed with the convenience of an electric switch to be used from the driver’s seat.
I could write multiple pages on what I LIKE about my Ranger, but, after driving it for a month, these are about the only two things that I could find that are REAL shortcomings in my opinion. Thanks for the opportunity to have a place to vent!
The manual sliding rear window is basically useless. I had a electric one in my 30k Tacoma. But a manual one in my 40k+ Ranger. I used it all the time when I didn't want my windows open and loved it

bkosh84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Construction Supervisor
  2. The Sliding Back Window – After driving a Sport Trac for 13 years with a wide, full opening top to bottom electric window, that could be opened or closed while going down the highway, this tiny, square, manually sliding window, is useless to me. I don’t foresee a time when I will ever be driving down the interstate and decide I want to open it, pull over to the side of the road, get out, get in the back seat, and open the window manually. This window should have been designed with the convenience of an electric switch to be used from the driver’s seat.
Don’t forget that the button that deactivates the rear window up/down buttons also deactivate the buttons for the drivers controls too. I have NEVER had a vehicle where that button deactivated all buttons that control those windows.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Don’t forget that the button that deactivates the rear window up/down buttons also deactivate the buttons for the drivers controls too. I have NEVER had a vehicle where that button deactivated all buttons that control those windows.
I have. In fact, I can't recall off the top of my head any of my cars where the switch didn't work like that.

Rear window is easy to reach in a scab. I never use it anyway because there aren't many days where the weather in these parts makes me want to.

Folding mirrors in this truck are for occasional use, like on a tight trail. People who have looked at the motors are doubtful that they'd stand up to years of use multiple times per day, which is probably why Ford didn't add auto folding. I assume it'll be in the next gen, and that they'll add more room for a beefier motor.

OP
OP
GaryMc

GaryMc

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RWD, 2019 Lincoln Nautilus
Occupation
Retired
Since I don't have any small children in my home or vehicle, I have never even used the rear side window deactivation button. I'll have to check that out too!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Also after your mirrors are folded in and you shut off the truck if you push the button again (before opening the door) they will automatically open the next time you start your truck.

I agree with the rear window...Totally useless unless it's powered.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I decided against the slider for several reasons.
1] it appeared small and unreachable.
2] it seemed to somewhat obstruct rear visibility.
3] my experience with sliders was just turbulence and noise.

Of course every application is somewhat different... A slider works great with a topper and a seal for instance.
This brings up an annoying problem I have found common on newer vehicles in general and my Ranger SuperCab in particular.
When the windows are down, it can not be driven above 20MPH without inducing horrible harmonics. I plan to install window vents and will see if they result in any mitigation of the problem.
My TC even warns of the harmonics and the shades did nothing to help.
You simply have to drive with the windows up to prevent it.

Does the rear slider help with the harmonics problem?

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I decided against the slider for several reasons.
1] it appeared small and unreachable.
2] it seemed to somewhat obstruct rear visibility.
3] my experience with sliders was just turbulence and noise.

Of course every application is somewhat different... A slider works great with a topper and a seal for instance.
This brings up an annoying problem I have found common on newer vehicles in general and my Ranger SuperCab in particular.
When the windows are down, it can not be driven above 20MPH without inducing horrible harmonics. I plan to install window vents and will see if they result in any mitigation of the problem.
My TC even warns of the harmonics and the shades did nothing to help.
You simply have to drive with the windows up to prevent it.

Does the rear slider help with the harmonics problem?
I'll have to test your harmonics question, the problem I'm having with the rear slider is my dog fits through it.

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I too fall into forgetting to fold in the mirrors after parking. It is what it is.

The manual rear window is one of the reasons I’m glad I didn’t get it. I’m one that after a day of mountain biking, I’ll cruise home with all the windows down. But here in Miami where the weather can turn in the blink of an eye, I didn’t like the idea of having to pull over to close the rear window whenever the weather turned.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
I agree about the rear window. Wife loves hers on her FX4 and will probably never use it.

I hate mine, actually use it, and will still probably swap it out. With the DiamondBack and window open a bit, 10' lengths of pvc are easy to carry and often too floppy for the roof rack. The restrictions in visibility, size and inconvenience of opening are enough to want it gone.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Wasn't someone waiting to hear about an aftermarket powered one?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Wasn't someone waiting to hear about an aftermarket powered one?

There was a post a while back and IIRC someone was going to try and piece one together from a F 150. Never saw anything else though.