Yikes! Are they really this expensive?

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
this is pushing my luck in terms of politics not being welcome but - the automakers / dealers get away with screwing everyone over and over again simply due to the fact the government is not about to go against it's own self. I will leave that without further explanation.
Try flying. Airlines are worse than automakers. Southwest is a joke.
Sponsored

FordFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4 Ranger, 2022 Sonata Limited
Occupation
Engineer
The dealership closest to me regularly lifts a Ranger, puts some fender flares on it, reupholsters the seats, and swaps rims. Maybe $9k worth of stuff, then advertises them for $82k for a month before dropping the price to $57k. When they do that, some idiot pounces. These are XLT's too without the FX4 option. I will never buy another vehicle from them.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
I'll admit. I contacted a dealer this last week about a 39k car that I would swap for the Ranger.. maybe even with the terrible rates.

20k markup that they didn't show online... 40k car. The sales guy hung up on me when I couldn't stop laughing. I think he said goodbye. Wife, cat, 2 kids, and a dog thought I had lost my mind. I was being the asshole in that situation; not the sales guy even if he did straight up hang up. He didn't add that extra crap. I'll keep the 28k truck with sub 1% loan. Not going to come close to that for a while.. or ever again if I keep buying new.

Even with that car getting more mpg vs the Ranger. How many miles would it take to make up for the markup alone? Not to mention it being more expensive from the start.

The answer I got: using a comparison tool from Carmax.... 500,000 miles before I would break even on the cost of fuel vs that markup (based on 4 dollars a gallon and my real-world mixed driving 20 mpg (20mpg at worst - sometimes average 22; pure highway 26) vs an estimate from the other - 25mpg mixed)

Also, sort of neat comparison tool to see what the cost really is between two different MPGs
https://www.carmax.com/research/mpg-calculator
yep plan on keeping the ranger for 5 more years at least. next up is the wifes car but only after interest rate crash again.

all of our loans are under 4% cars, RV, house etc. keep those vehicles as long as we can.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
The dealership closest to me regularly lifts a Ranger, puts some fender flares on it, reupholsters the seats, and swaps rims. Maybe $9k worth of stuff, then advertises them for $82k for a month before dropping the price to $57k. When they do that, some idiot pounces. These are XLT's too without the FX4 option. I will never buy another vehicle from them.
they making the "Bra" trucks for the summers eve crowd lol.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
My local dealer had a Bronco Raptor recently.

Marked up to almost 108k.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
As WC Fields said... there is a sucker born every minute.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
im not happy about the used car prices. stuff that is literally sitting in scrap yards are marked up to more than they sold for brand new. Fing insanity.
Sponsored