Yesterday I did the dumbest thing I've ever done

TheAssuager

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Supercrew XLT
I was washing my truck. And I opened the hood with the windshield wipers still up. Added a nice couple paint chips right on the edge of the hood. I am too embarassed to take a pic, but I will when I get home from work today. Need to break the dr color chip back out...

Just a reminder to not be as dumb as me. The 303 nano graphene detailer is absolutely amazing stuff. Paint looks incredible.
truck1.jpg
Sponsored

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I was washing my truck. And I opened the hood with the windshield wipers still up. Added a nice couple paint chips right on the edge of the hood. I am too embarassed to take a pic, but I will when I get home from work today. Need to break the dr color chip back out...

Just a reminder to not be as dumb as me. The 303 nano graphene detailer is absolutely amazing stuff. Paint looks incredible.
truck1.jpg
Bah, that sucks and you know, a wiper shouldn't be able to dent and chip paint, but that's another topic (I have two acorn dents from parking under our oak tree). =(

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
It happens to us all.

Whenever you see a Jeep with this accessory installed...

71juMPmgX0S._AC_SX679_.jpg

you can pretty much bet that they had the door open and the limiting strap disconnected.

A brief puff of wind, a child wandering near, a moment's distraction of the owner, and the door will swing open making the mirror put a nice golf-ball-sized ding in the cowl.

Often referred to as the "dummy ding".

Edit: Here's a pic before the cover is installed

resized_20160825_145235-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I just got back from washing mine at the self serve wash here. I always put my wipers up and was just about to open my hood to give the engine bay a quick rinse when someone pulled behind me. I didn't want to make him wait any longer even though I'm trying to keep this engine bay clean. :rolleyes:

BTW I do dumber stuff than that all the time. I'm just not going to tell you guys because some (hmmm, I wonder who) never let you forget it! :lipssealed: :inspect:

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Drove a company box truck (right corner cap only) into a sloped overhang... while talking about how other people couldn't drive/were dumb. I had been there with that same truck before, but that time I moved over to let a bus pass and was to busy talking to stop and check the clearance became an issue with the weird slope. Needed a bit more than touch up paint and 303.

Dumbest thing with the Ranger. ....hmm..... parking too close to a gas pump on a windy day and letting the freaking door go. The edge of the door needed a bit of touch up on that. Glad shadow black is really easy to match to those cheapish paint repair things.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Well, I got married once, so there's that.
But I also did what Wytchdctr, open my door too quickly and got a nice divot from the gas pump bollard.

tm1506

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Outback XT
Occupation
Retired

truck1.jpg
Don't beat yourself up too much Jim! It happens! As said above, if that's the dumbest thing you've ever done you have some good ones coming up! At 71 I'm still waiting to the dumbest thing I've ever done and believe me I've tried! :rockon:

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
Don't beat yourself up, @TheAssuager. We all do stupid stuff. I know it sucks when a new vehicle gets a scratch or dent, but try to forgive yourself.

I tell myself, "It's a truck. I do truck things with it. It is going to get dents and scratches."

WV_Ranger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
I have one dent in my truck, size of a dime. I hit a metal handy box in my garage when I opened the door to vacuum. Still cuss myself for that. We all have those days. Don't let it get to ya!

Thanks for warning the rest of us.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Do 22s have the hood supports or prop rod? 🤔
I've done that on the Edge but felt the resistance before I put the prop rod in place and didn't have any damage.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Don't set your bar too high, there's always tomorrow or the next day to top that, trust me on that! We all have brain farts or dumb arse attacks from time to time. The secret is try not to top it the next time lol
Sponsored