First Name
Richard Keister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired
I just purchased a 19 Xl, can i use an inexpensive ODB-II interface to change the headlights to turn off automatically with the engine? That’s the only thing that bothers me since I’m used to it with my previous vehicle.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I just purchased a 19 Xl, can i use an inexpensive ODB-II interface to change the headlights to turn off automatically with the engine? That’s the only thing that bothers me since I’m used to it with my previous vehicle.
For use with Forscan I wouldn't go inexpensive "cheap". Most of the cheap one are clones and don't work well if at all. Besides our trucks have two Canbus speeds, so you need a switchable one to get at all the modules. I use an ODBLink MX Bluetooth adaptor, one of the ones recommended by Forscan. I leave it in the truck all the time and use it with the Torque app on my phone to show boost pressure and some temps that don't show on the dash. Don't go cheap, you'll be happier in the long run.

OP
OP

rkeister

First Name
Richard Keister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired
For use with Forscan I wouldn't go inexpensive "cheap". Most of the cheap one are clones and don't work well if at all. Besides our trucks have two Canbus speeds, so you need a switchable one to get at all the modules. I use an ODBLink MX Bluetooth adaptor, one of the ones recommended by Forscan. I leave it in the truck all the time and use it with the Torque app on my phone to show boost pressure and some temps that don't show on the dash. Don't go cheap, you'll be happier in the long run.
Thanks for the input. I’m guessing what I want to do is a simple setting change. I’ll look at the one you have. I appreciate any info that others can provide.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for the input. I’m guessing what I want to do is a simple setting change. I’ll look at the one you have. I appreciate any info that others can provide.
No problem, that's what this forum is for. I'll look through my notes a see if I can find the changes you need to make. My XLT has auto headlights and already does it. Agreed I'd miss it if it didn't. I guess I didn't realize how much they stripped out of the XL. Once you have Forscan, There is a lot of info here on how and what you can do with it. You'll find all kinds of tweaks to make.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did some checking, user manual page 71. Does your light switch have a Auto position? I think it may. If so put it in that position and forget about it. During the day it will turn on your DRLs when you put the truck in Drive. When it gets dark enough it will turn on the headlights and also I believe when you turn on your wipers. When you turn the truck off the headlight will go out and the marker lights will stay on for a period of time and shut off. I think I just found where to change that time, going to check it out now.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
It's under setting in lighting. I looked at mine today, while seeing if there is an oil level. There isn't, just oil life.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
I was looking at them on Ebay and the Ford one is $20. That's pretty cheap, what am I missing?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was looking at them on Ebay and the Ford one is $20. That's pretty cheap, what am I missing?
Not sure what brand that is, maybe OK. I got mine off Amazon for $70. Unfortunately the replaced the MX with the MX+ for a higher price LOL. All I know is there have been posts of people buying cheap scanners and having issues. If you go to the Forscan site and look thay have a list of verified good scanners and talk about bad ones. They may even have a discount code for Amazon. When it comes to programming my truck I don't like taking chances with a bad scanner.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
Not sure what brand that is, maybe OK. I got mine off Amazon for $70. Unfortunately the replaced the MX with the MX+ for a higher price LOL. All I know is there have been posts of people buying cheap scanners and having issues. If you go to the Forscan site and look thay have a list of verified good scanners and talk about bad ones. They may even have a discount code for Amazon. When it comes to programming my truck I don't like taking chances with a bad scanner.
If I knew how to use this crappy work chromebook, I'd screen shot or link for you. Tons of cheap ones.

I will definitely go to the site and get the good one. That's hardly a lot of money considering all you can do. Is this the only cost?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It's under setting in lighting. I looked at mine today, while seeing if there is an oil level. There isn't, just oil life.
LOL ! Right in front of me. That should be what "rkeister" is looking for. Need to be in the auto position.
Still want to find how to reduce the time the marker and bed light is on when you open the and close the doors. Sometimes 20 seconds feels like an eternity.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If I knew how to use this crappy work chromebook, I'd screen shot or link for you. Tons of cheap ones.

I will definitely go to the site and get the good one. That's hardly a lot of money considering all you can do. Is this the only cost?
You need a Forscan license. The have a free one for I believe 2 months, which you can renew ( I'm on my second one). Or, you can pay for a longer one if you find it valuable. I'm buying when my current free licence expires. Once you get in there it is kind of addicting, if your into tech like I am. Check out the Forscan threads, lots of need things you can tweak and change, just be sure to backup everything before you change. By the way Forscan requires Windows to make changes, IOS and Android are look only.

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
Check the Forscan forums, but I think you want https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-ex/ for writing changes out. I have an MX+ myself, but wireless connectivity is considered risky and you don't want to turn your truck into a brick.

You should also look at the two dedicated threads here - https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/forscan-crowdsourced-wiki.2008/ and https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/forscan-modifications.1844/

edit: man, the MX+ was on sale for $50 a year ago. Pre-pandemic pricing.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Check the Forscan forums, but I think you want https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-ex/ for writing changes out. I have an MX+ myself, but wireless connectivity is considered risky and you don't want to turn your truck into a brick.

You should also look at the two dedicated threads here - https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/forscan-crowdsourced-wiki.2008/ and https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/forscan-modifications.1844/

edit: man, the MX+ was on sale for $50 a year ago. Pre-pandemic pricing.
Agreed, wired is always safer than wireless. I went with the MX (MX+ wasn't out yet) at the time because I wanted to use an old phone I had to display boost, tranny temp and the like while towing my camper. I didn't want to deal with another cable, especially from the OBD2 connector, Android Auto is enough. The OBDLink units are rated very high, are auto switching between buses, and go into sleep mode when the truck is off. You can leave them plugged in without worrying about draining your battery. I have yet to have any communication issues. I guess that is why I say spend a little more and get a known good scanner.

Yeah, I saw the sale on the MX+ but I already had my MX.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
You need a Forscan license. The have a free one for I believe 2 months, which you can renew ( I'm on my second one). Or, you can pay for a longer one if you find it valuable. I'm buying when my current free licence expires. Once you get in there it is kind of addicting, if your into tech like I am. Check out the Forscan threads, lots of need things you can tweak and change, just be sure to backup everything before you change. By the way Forscan requires Windows to make changes, IOS and Android are look only.
I've read them and I'm amazed this exists and super confused, because I don't really understand this stuff. How much are the licenses?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've read them and I'm amazed this exists and super confused, because I don't really understand this stuff. How much are the licenses?
1 year is $10, 3 year is $20, 5 year is $30 and Lifetime is $50.
I'd go with the 2 month free to start with, as I said that can be renewed for another 2 months.

here is a link to a tutorial on the Forscan forum, good place to start.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8dKaS_Spu4Zw4hV_CrKC4tLoP9G8yejqegF1wxIqxY/edit
Sponsored