Wind buffering

RussB

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 f 150
My brother bought a new Ranger crew cab , he was telling me wen he opens the rear window there is a lot of wind buffering starting at about 35 mph to 70 mph get so loud & the pressure get so high that he can feel it in his ears.Has anybody else have this problem and how to correct it.
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

In my experience that happens in any and every vehicle. Only having one entry/exit point for the air means it has to try and go in and out at the same time, which causes the buffeting. I never open just one window at a time. Always have to have a path for the wind to travel. Even just cracking another window will solve the problem.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Okay....Rolling down one window creates a Helmholtz Resonator which can result in an almost threshold of Pain for the ears. It is a function of the cab volume...Not easily solved until as others have posted, to increase the "orifice" area with another window opened. Many vehicles, not just Ranger have such a condition. There is no fix short of filling the cab with some material to reduce the volume of the cab, more that a couple people in the back or two dogs etc. You are in the laws of physics...

Okay, Another back story....

Back in the day of carburetors and air cleaners mounted on top of the carburetor. Many Fords of the day in the late 60's early 70's had an FL 1 oil filter can mounted to the air cleaner. WTF? was the comment from most folks owning these vehicles. Ford did not even change the stamping on the end of the oil filter can indicating it was an oil filter. It even baffled many automotive press. What it was, was a cheap Helmholtz tuner for induction Hoot. Step on the throttle to WOT and you got a Owl Hoot from the engine. The Helmholtz tuner (oil filter can) created a sound wave that cancelled the frequency generated by the inducton. A mechanical noise cancelling device. Looked stupid but was incredible effective. Okay so you old farts may relate, eh? This is the story behind an oil filter can on the side of a Ford air cleaner of that era....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Okay....Rolling down one window creates a Helmholtz Resonator which can result in an almost threshold of Pain for the ears. It is a function of the cab volume...Not easily solved until as others have posted, to increase the "orifice" area with another window opened. Many vehicles, not just Ranger have such a condition. There is no fix short of filling the cab with some material to reduce the volume of the cab, more that a couple people in the back or two dogs etc. You are in the laws of physics...

Back in the day of carburetors and air cleaners mounted on top of the carburetor. Many Fords of the day in the late 60's early 70's had an FL 1 oil filter can mounted to the air cleaner. WTF? was the comment from most folks owning these vehicles. Ford did not even change the stamping on the end of the oil filter can indicating it was an oil filter. It even baffled many automotive press. What it was, was a cheap Helmholtz tuner for induction Hoot. Step on the throttle to WOT and you got a Owl Hoot from the engine. The Helmholtz tuner (oil filter can) created a sound wave that cancelled the frequency generated by the inducton. A mechanical noise cancelling device. Looked stupid but was incredible effective. Okay so you old farts may relate, eh? This is the story behind an oil filter can on the side of a Ford air cleaner of that era....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I love your back stories!

David Schuster

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4; 1969 Torino GT

Interesting...always wondered what that was for. I remember one on the 460 Lincoln a buddys parents had back in the 70's

460.JPG

Deleted member 1634

oh yes, every car i have driven will do it to some extent.
the F150's have been the worst, but i play that into the size of the back seat area.

as Mrb said, you gotta get the air flowing, and all it takes sometimes is an opposite window cracked open an inch
The worst vehicle I've had with this issue has been my dad's single cab F-150 (2016). Since there was no back windows or rear slider there was nowhere for the air to go. Luckily we had only swapped vehicles for a week and there were only a couple days during that period where I would've liked to have driven with the windows down.

I did drive a 1974 F-250 for work when I was in college. That was also a single cab with no rear windows or rear slider (not sure those existed back then haha). But since it was so old and poorly sealed there were plenty of gaps and slots around the cabin for the air to escape. haha

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I remember my first car with power windows I decided to crack the back windows for a little airflow the first time I went out on the highway then almost panicked trying to figure out how that made the motor blow up because it started pressure waves so intense they were literally hurting my ears.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
I understand and agree with having the two openings in the cab. When we open the moonroof of our car (Explorer), we have to open one or both of the back windows a little bit to keep the noise and turbulence down.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
I think it's a lack of fresh air vents in the vehicle. Vehicles of yore did not have any issue. Add a cabin air filter, and engineers want to seal the cabin. Notice how it doesn't require much effort to fully close a door on an old vehicle compared to new vehicles ?

But vehicles these days are also designed to have better fuel efficiency with the a/c on and windows up.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Ah, for the good old vehicles that had the little swing out triangular vents on each front door window. They were great.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Ah, for the good old vehicles that had the little swing out triangular vents on each front door window. They were great.
Every gen1 Ranger I owned had the vent windows. If it didn't have it from the factory, I was visiting the junkyard to pull the assemblies. I think they worked better than a/c

BobDP

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Ranger
My brother bought a new Ranger crew cab , he was telling me wen he opens the rear window there is a lot of wind buffering starting at about 35 mph to 70 mph get so loud & the pressure get so high that he can feel it in his ears.Has anybody else have this problem and how to correct it.
I remember my old cars from the 60s and 70s. They leaked so much air that the air coming in the windows always had someplace to go.! :)
Sponsored