First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Water Treatment Operator
I have recently started enjoying camping and have a requirement for my job to be able to be in contact 24/7. With that being said I have a few questions that I hope someone may have an answer to.

1. Does the wifi stay active even with the truck off?

2. Is the weak signal performance of the 4g LTE connection good? At least as good as most phones.

3. Is the wifi signal strong?

Thank you.
Sponsored

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
If you like your job, I would only camp within your phones cell range. No way I’m trusting the truck to keep me in contact.

sal33n

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio, 2016 Mustang GT
Found this:

Q: Can I use Vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot when the vehicles Ignition is off?

A: Yes, but only after an ignition on. Vehicle Wi-Fi Hotspot will work for 30 minutes after the ignition has been turned off, as long as the key is in the car. The 30 minutes may be reduced if the health of the battery is at risk.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I have recently started enjoying camping and have a requirement for my job to be able to be in contact 24/7. With that being said I have a few questions that I hope someone may have an answer to.

1. Does the wifi stay active even with the truck off?

2. Is the weak signal performance of the 4g LTE connection good? At least as good as most phones.

3. Is the wifi signal strong?

Thank you.
Having just tested this last night -
1. The WiFi turns off. I didn't time it but it's the same timeframe as the SYNC unit; once it goes black, WiFi disconnected.
2. I had the same strength signal as I do on my phone.
3. The WiFi signal was able to be connected to at least 25 feet away. I can do better testing of that tonight using an actual meter.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The other thing to note is the 4G speeds (for me at least) are rather lack luster. Speed tests using the 4G/WiFi on the truck average 5-10 Mbps down, but my phone also AT&T pulls 25-40 Mbps in the exact same location. They may have some sort of bandwidth cap or have it configured to a narrow band thus limiting WiFi bandwidth per device connected.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
The other thing to note is the 4G speeds (for me at least) are rather lack luster. Speed tests using the 4G/WiFi on the truck average 5-10 Mbps down, but my phone also AT&T pulls 25-40 Mbps in the exact same location. They may have some sort of bandwidth cap or have it configured to a narrow band thus limiting WiFi bandwidth per device connected.
I'll have to test mine later and see what results I get.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
How much is the truck 4G after the trial?

I would think you could get a much better/faster hot spot from your cell carrier for the same or less $$ per month.

My company provides me a Verizon 4G hot spot and it is smokin' fast.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
How much is the truck 4G after the trial?

I would think you could get a much better/faster hot spot from your cell carrier for the same or less $$ per month.

My company provides me a Verizon 4G hot spot and it is smokin' fast.
$200 a year or $20 a month.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
A somewhat off topic question. I can't think of a single senario where the WiFi hot spot in my Ranger or wife's Jeep would be an advantage over the hot spot in my phone. So why are you folks using the trucks hot spot and not the phones?

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
A somewhat off topic question. I can't think of a single senario where the WiFi hot spot in my Ranger or wife's Jeep would be an advantage over the hot spot in my phone. So why are you folks using the trucks hot spot and not the phones?
For me it's partly because using my hotspot on my phone for streaming or for long periods of time really works the hell out of it, to the point it gets hot to the touch, especially if I'm also using phone for navigation and music, etc at the same time. It's also a gap measure to allow the kids or friends to have access to WiFi without them connecting their devices (and whatever security issues they have) to my phone. If it were just me needing it, I'd wouldn't use the truck's.

Dunneldeen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
I have noticed that my car can sometimes connect to the cell network more reliably than my carry phone (iPhone 11 Pro Max) when I'm in some areas with minimal coverage; not faster, just more consistent. I find the car WiFi is very useful for kids with non-cell devices on longer car rides. Otherwise, it's probably something I wouldn't miss terribly if I didn't have it.
Sponsored