Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Ford Service Advisor
Vehicle Showcase
I have an intermittent whistling type noise from the rear usually on accel around highway speeds. It goes away within a mile. Sometimes it's fairly loud. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Cavebat87

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Ford Service Advisor
Vehicle Showcase
Update the whistling noise turned into a screeching noise and finally became consistent enough for the tech to hear it. Sounds like it's from the carrier bearing. The driveshaft has been ordered since it only comes as part of the driveshaft.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Update the whistling noise turned into a screeching noise and finally became consistent enough for the tech to hear it. Sounds like it's from the carrier bearing. The driveshaft has been ordered since it only comes as part of the driveshaft.
Hi Doug

If it is the bearing between the front and rear driveshafts, then it is a Center Bearing. Carrier bearings are located inside the differential. A very common terminology mistatement made by many...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Firehunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger SuperCab FX4 302A
Thanks for posting this as my Ranger just developed the same noises within the last couple of days. The sound reminds me of a dry rubber squeal that is strictly speed dependent, nothing else changes the noise (bumps, turning, brakes). I took a video of the spinning driveline from underneath and the noise is very pronounced above 25 mph. The dealer told me it was "wind noise" from the tonneau cover....um, nope. The noise I am hearing sounds like it is coming from the seal at the back of the transfer case but would not be surprised if it was the center bearing making the noise. My Ranger has a manufacture date of 11/2020 and only has 3500 miles on it.

OP
OP

Cavebat87

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Ford Service Advisor
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting this as my Ranger just developed the same noises within the last couple of days. The sound reminds me of a dry rubber squeal that is strictly speed dependent, nothing else changes the noise (bumps, turning, brakes). I took a video of the spinning driveline from underneath and the noise is very pronounced above 25 mph. The dealer told me it was "wind noise" from the tonneau cover....um, nope. The noise I am hearing sounds like it is coming from the seal at the back of the transfer case but would not be surprised if it was the center bearing making the noise. My Ranger has a manufacture date of 11/2020 and only has 3500 miles on it.
I thought mine was a wind noise at first and for a while after I first heard it. It was very faint and intermittent. Then it got way worse. The strange thing is it was bad after my tech drive and checked it. The last couple of days I haven't heard it. Noises can be weird I guess.

Firehunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger SuperCab FX4 302A
Update on my noise, I haven't been driving the ranger as the noise is just too loud. It turns heads as I drive through town. Had an appointment a few days ago at the local dealership and they were, of course, able to verify the noise and said it was coming from the center bearing. Driveshaft ordered, however, the parts folks said there were only 3 in the nation showing as available, all on the east coast, and all were sitting at dealerships - none from Ford. They got one coming this way but were eager to tell how much hassle the process was. Hopefully they can get the driveline swapped next week.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Update on my noise, I haven't been driving the ranger as the noise is just too loud. It turns heads as I drive through town. Had an appointment a few days ago at the local dealership and they were, of course, able to verify the noise and said it was coming from the center bearing. Driveshaft ordered, however, the parts folks said there were only 3 in the nation showing as available, all on the east coast, and all were sitting at dealerships - none from Ford. They got one coming this way but were eager to tell how much hassle the process was. Hopefully they can get the driveline swapped next week.
I hope you reminded them how much of a hassle it is for you to be without a properly operating truck and that for the amount of warranty revenue they receive from Ford every year, they should be more than happy to deal with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Cavebat87

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Ford Service Advisor
Vehicle Showcase
As of last week the driveshaft for my range is suppose to be here 3/25. I still haven't heard the noise since my last post, but I am only driving 3 miles to work and back.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I learned to drive in Casper. A '49 Ford pickup that my great grandmother bought new off the showroom floor, restored by my father. Flathead, 3 on the tree, the whole deal.

Your post reminded me of that truck because as a younger boy I learned to whistle in it. The flutes on the bed would whistle right at 50mph. No speedometer needed.

OP
OP

Cavebat87

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Ford Service Advisor
Vehicle Showcase
Update I had my driveshaft replaced on Friday. I drove it this weekend and there is no noise!

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Since the driveshaft was replaced has there been any similar noises? My Ranger just started making this sound, it's the oddest thing. Also is a driveline different from driveshaft? The two words have been used the same in this thread.

B_random423

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Occupation
Electro Mechanical Technologist
Can you post the video you have of this? I'm having what seems to be the exact same issue and my truck has been at the ford dealership for 3 weeks and they can't give me any answers so I'm giving them this as my answer. I had questioned the center bearing myself when I took it to them because of the rubber surrounding a moving part. I hate to know that I can do their job better than them but at least its still under warranty and I'm not paying for it. Thanks for your help and posting this!

GreenGuy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Construction Engineer
The attached video is of my 2021 XLT around 23k miles at time of filming. Is this noise similar to what everyone else has been experiencing?

This video was taken about 3k miles ago. Still get the noise, but it is not as loud as in this video. Noise will only present itself when at highway speed for a few miles then won’t go away until a complete stop is made. Once I get back up to speed after the complete stop the noise does not return 9/10 times.
Sponsored