TheRoushRanger046

TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger
wanna have some real fun, and get more opinions than when to change your oil?

google this:

"why do cars exhaust out the side rather than the back"

have fun.
(Shutters)… I feel so violated with the links and answers I got from searching that exact phrase ???
Sponsored

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
I always thought it was for towing.

Your exhaust, or soot for diesels, doesn't directly blast your trailer or load.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
So I had a Xterra that I had fixed up a bit. I did not like the exhaust out the side as it seemed to hang too low for my taste. I wanted it out the back but with the receiver it would have really hung low. So I had it exit through my bumper. Sorry for not being a Ranger pic lol.

20200612_174347.jpg

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
not bad at all, more mellow than i expected it to be.

OP
OP
TheRoushRanger046

TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger
So I had a Xterra that I had fixed up a bit. I did not like the exhaust out the side as it seemed to hang too low for my taste. I wanted it out the back but with the receiver it would have really hung low. So I had it exit through my bumper. Sorry for not being a Ranger pic lol.

20200612_174347.jpg
Very nice. May I ask how much that cost .. as it seems that would be a helluva an upgrade

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice. May I ask how much that cost .. as it seems that would be a helluva an upgrade
It was not that much. I had put on a new exhaust system from the cat back. I had a 3" system installed. At the time I was powder coating my rear bumper and roof rack anyways, so I had cut the hole out and had my exhaust guy run it through there. I also had built a CAI for my X too. But it was the 2.4L 4 banger and no CAI was available so I just fabbed up my own. The X ran so much better with that and the exhaust.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Hi Chris,

One of the reasons it just tradition... But as you stated is discharge of exhaust. Also package reasons...it is easier to package than out the back with different bumpers etc. It is less likely for the outlet to be damaged when it is near the tire.

In 1996, the year of the Clean Sheet of Paper all new F Series, the program (SLA front suspension ILO twin I beam) tried to save a few sheckles by having the outlet in front of the rear wheel, which eliminated the kick up over the rear axle... Turned into a disaster and a redesign after customer complaints of right wheel soot and some sort of green gook from some fuel blends. So, once again...the program saved money to achieve their affordable targets and coveted bonuses, but actually cost the program more money down the road with a redesign for behind the wheel discharge for production and retrofit for complaint 1996 F series vehicle...

Best,
Phil
Thanks for that Phil. I bought a '97 F-150 that had the exhaust pipe in front of the right rear wheel. I figured it was a grasp at saving money, but didn't know why they went back to the tried, and true. I never had the problems you mentioned 'cause mine went to the muffler shop for duels soon after purchase.

BTW, that old truck was a rock. I drove it 10 years, sold it to a neighbor. That neighbor drove it several years, and sold it to another neighbor. I haven't seen it in a while, so I guess it finally wore completely out.
Sponsored