What is this metal hose for?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Could it be that someone removed the vent tube for the fuel filler or for the evaporative emissions canister?
Sponsored

Last edited:

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Safe to assume all turned out ok? People give us shit about hurricanes down here in FL, but at least we get a great deal more warning. Those fires are unpredictable as can be with the erratic winds.
Ya we were good. It was super crazy how fast the fire moved in. Jumped the Sacramento River which is probably the length of a football field wide.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ya we were good. It was super crazy how fast the fire moved in. Jumped the Sacramento River which is probably the length of a football field wide.
Hi Tyler,

Okay a back story on the Carr Fire. Wife and I were headed to the Oregon Coast for a few weeks of Pacific coast RVing. We were in Sparks NV. and knew the CARR fire was a problem in getting to Oregon. So looking at maps and google maps, we decided to take some very small back roads to skirt the fire. Smoke was horrible but we left Sparks in or rig, towing my 2007 Ranger...some 60 ft long. We hit the fringe of the fire on a back road. The smoke jumpers and a fire truck were on the road and there was fire on each side of the road.... I pulled up to a fireman and opened the driver's window.... He said "Holly crap...Hit this road thru the fire as fast as this mostrosity can go and do not stop for any reason"... I could not turn around so we headed through the fire...I doubt I took a breath for several minutes with flames on both sides....then we broke through the flames and were in green forest again...we kept going but the smoke was so bad that we did not see blue sky until about 50 miles North of Medford Or.... White knuckle for sure!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Hi Tyler,

Okay a back story on the Carr Fire. Wife and I were headed to the Oregon Coast for a few weeks of Pacific coast RVing. We were in Sparks NV. and knew the CARR fire was a problem in getting to Oregon. So looking at maps and google maps, we decided to take some very small back roads to skirt the fire. Smoke was horrible but we left Sparks in or rig, towing my 2007 Ranger...some 60 ft long. We hit the fringe of the fire on a back road. The smoke jumpers and a fire truck were on the road and there was fire on each side of the road.... I pulled up to a fireman and opened the driver's window.... He said "Holly crap...Hit this road thru the fire as fast as this mostrosity can go and do not stop for any reason"... I could not turn around so we headed through the fire...I doubt I took a breath for several minutes with flames on both sides....then we broke through the flames and were in green forest again...we kept going but the smoke was so bad that we did not see blue sky until about 50 miles North of Medford Or.... White knuckle for sure!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired
Hey Phil, that’s crazy.. you shouldn’t of even had to come within 50 miles of the fire to get where you were going. Not sure how you ended up with flames on both sides of you. Sounds like you were in the town of French Gulch. But what an adventure!

It was quite a fire. One day it was 20 miles out of town the next day it was burning up neighborhoods about 1/2 mile from downtown Redding. This picture I took was from our house on the bluffs. The fire had just jumped the river and was burning up a neighborhood. The fire acted like it had some weird personality or something. The next day I snuck into this neighborhood on my motorcycle to see if a friends house was still up because they were vacationing and said they would prefer to know. There was no rhyme or reason to what houses burned down. It was like someone was rolling dominoes and burning houses. Some were standing and some weren’t. Unfortunately our friends house wasn’t. It worked out in the end for them though. Insurance paid out well

Was a crazy year! Felt like we were In a movie. Let’s see how this year goes

11A252D4-A5D8-4847-9CC0-A82033A1C676.jpeg

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Phil, this is the route you should’ve taken and where the fire was. Maybe you took the more scenic route?

A5B3AFA5-C822-41C6-95FC-58F5F10B3939.png

7DB15858-9E35-48E4-BC0E-5D320CBE85FE.png

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, this is the route you should’ve taken and where the fire was. Maybe you took the more scenic route?

A5B3AFA5-C822-41C6-95FC-58F5F10B3939.png

7DB15858-9E35-48E4-BC0E-5D320CBE85FE.png
Hi Tyler,

The fire on both sides were "spot fires" They had crews trying to snuff out these fires as part of the containment plan. Unfortunately we happened on them with no ability to turn around, so the position they took is abandon the coach and watch it burn...risk it and get through as fast as you could get this big lumbering thing to go...so we chose to put the hammer down and hope for the best... Yeah, an adventure of white knuckle proportions...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Hi Tyler,

The fire on both sides were "spot fires" They had crews trying to snuff out these fires as part of the containment plan. Unfortunately we happened on them with no ability to turn around, so the position they took is abandon the coach and watch it burn...risk it and get through as fast as you could get this big lumbering thing to go...so we chose to put the hammer down and hope for the best... Yeah, an adventure of white knuckle proportions...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Geeze, well done getting through it!

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Hey Phil, that’s crazy.. you shouldn’t of even had to come within 50 miles of the fire to get where you were going. Not sure how you ended up with flames on both sides of you. Sounds like you were in the town of French Gulch. But what an adventure!

It was quite a fire. One day it was 20 miles out of town the next day it was burning up neighborhoods about 1/2 mile from downtown Redding. This picture I took was from our house on the bluffs. The fire had just jumped the river and was burning up a neighborhood. The fire acted like it had some weird personality or something. The next day I snuck into this neighborhood on my motorcycle to see if a friends house was still up because they were vacationing and said they would prefer to know. There was no rhyme or reason to what houses burned down. It was like someone was rolling dominoes and burning houses. Some were standing and some weren’t. Unfortunately our friends house wasn’t. It worked out in the end for them though. Insurance paid out well

Was a crazy year! Felt like we were In a movie. Let’s see how this year goes

11A252D4-A5D8-4847-9CC0-A82033A1C676.jpeg
Terrifying.

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
There is an aux tank for the Ranger that sits like the swing out storage, but it’s not plumbed to the tank, have to your a hand pump. Some guy put a video on YouTube of it. Probably not Ranger specific tho. Redneck engineerding is my guess as well but I can’t tell from the picture if it would actually be fuel line grade, possible is..

mattri

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Screw FTX
Occupation
Electrician
Any updates?
Sponsored