Walmart is the Ranger's best friend for oil?

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase

The oil cost is obviously the biggest cost in any oil/filter changeout.
The Ford recommended Motorcraft synthetic blended 5W-30 API SN+ oil comes in 5 quarts (gallon+ container) and the single 32 oz. 1 quart containers. You need 7 quarts for the 6.2 quart 2019 Ford Ranger changeout. The 5 quart Motorcraft container from Walmart is $19.22 @ $3.84 per quart and 1 quart containers are $4.28 per quart. Grand total for 7 quarts $27.78 + state sales tax.

I have checked at Pep Boys, AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts, NAPA Auto Parts, O'Reilley Auto Parts,
Menards & Home Depot in central Ohio and none "even" came closer to Walmart's price. In fact, some of them wanted $29 for only 5 quarts! In fact, pure synthetic oil also seems cheaper at Walmart.

Please Note: Walmart stores seems to carry limited supplies and you need to bulk up when the supplies are in their store! ;)

Forum members can you find a cheaper price on this Ford Motorcraft synthetic blended 5W-30 API SN+ oil?:question:
Sponsored

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

The Ford recommended Motorcraft synthetic blended 5W-30 API SN+ oil comes in 5 quarts (gallon+ container) and the single 32 oz. 1 quart containers. You need 7 quarts for the 6.2 quart 2019 Ford Ranger changeout. The 5 quart Motorcraft container from Walmart is $19.22 @ $3.84 per quart and 1 quart containers are $4.28 per quart. Grand total for 7 quarts $27.78 + state sales tax.

I have checked at Pep Boys, AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts, NAPA Auto Parts, O'Reilley Auto Parts,
Menards & Home Depot in central Ohio and none "even" came closer to Walmart's price. In fact, some of them wanted $29 for only 5 quarts! In fact, pure synthetic oil also seems cheaper at Walmart.

Please Note: Walmart stores seems to carry limited supplies and you need to bulk up when the supplies are in their store! ;)

Forum members can you find a cheaper price on this Ford Motorcraft synthetic blended 5W-30 API SN+ oil?:question:
Just make absolutely sure it is EXACTLY the same part number. Walmart is notorious for having "special" builds just for them that are cheaper but also are built with cheaper parts. It wouldn't surprise me to find out they got some special formulation at a cheaper price.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Just make absolutely sure it is EXACTLY the same part number. Walmart is notorious for having "special" builds just for them that are cheaper but also are built with cheaper parts. It wouldn't surprise me to find out they got some special formulation at a cheaper price.
or their 1 quart bottles are actually 3/4 quarts, or some other shenanigans--they are the definition of cheap low-spec crap. FWIW, the only motorcraft I see at walmart for $19.22 is 5w-20, not 5w-30.

Fordguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Fixed operation Director Tuttle Click Automotive
Vehicle Showcase
or their 1 quart bottles are actually 3/4 quarts, or some other shenanigans--they are the definition of cheap low-spec crap. FWIW, the only motorcraft I see at walmart for $19.22 is 5w-20, not 5w-30.
Walmart buys MotorCraft buy the rail-car. They will buy 100,000 of individual part numbers at a time and get huge discounts. They are the exact parts we use, with no quality difference. The only thing that can happen is that if Ford updates a part, Walmart may not see it for a while.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walmart buys MotorCraft buy the rail-car. They will buy 100,000 of individual part numbers at a time and get huge discounts. They are the exact parts we use, with no quality difference. The only thing that can happen is that if Ford updates a part, Walmart may not see it for a while.
It's well documented that walmart forces manufacturers to play tricks to hit price points. It's possible that they simply sell the exact same oil for significantly less than everyone else, but I'm inclined to doubt it based on walmart's history.

Fordguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

You want to use a GF-5/SN PLUS if possible.

Fordguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's well documented that walmart forces manufacturers to play tricks to hit price points. It's possible that they simply sell the exact same oil for significantly less than everyone else, but I'm inclined to doubt it based on walmart's history.
Not at all. I have a very good friend that works for Ford in Motorcraft and Walmart is his account. It is strictly a volume game.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not at all. I have a very good friend that works for Ford in Motorcraft and Walmart is his account. It is strictly a volume game.
Not at all what? Walmart's behavior as a sleazy company to do business with is well documented. You may have a friend who handles their account, but I certainly don't--and I don't trust them.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
the only motorcraft I see at walmart for $19.22 is 5w-20, not 5w-30.
I had to look very hard but found 2 - 5 quart containers on the bottom shelf. Like I said, "get them while they are in stock and bulk up to save $$$";) I had to check 3 local Walmart supercenter stores and only found one that had 5w-30.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford

One small error... the 7th quart only needs to be bought every 5th oil change! so that's $24.36
Or $23.81 if you buy two 5qt bottles and keep the second one to measure out the 2.2qt each time. A savings of the price of one whole quart with every oil change! Not to mention the additional savings of sales tax!

Last edited:

Fordguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not at all what? Walmart's behavior as a sleazy company to do business with is well documented. You may have a friend who handles their account, but I certainly don't--and I don't trust them.
Ford/Motorcraft does not sell a different quality or quantity product to Walmart. I don't care for Walmart, but the facts are the facts. They might do that with other manufactures, but not Ford. Ford goes way deep on discounts with them strictly due to volume.

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
I had to look very hard but found 2 - 5 quart containers on the bottom shelf. Like I said, "get them while they are in stock and bulk up to save $$$";) I had to check 3 local Walmart supercenter stores and only found one that had 5w-30.
I use to work at Walmart if they have a part that does oil changes they can order the oil for you. I know I have placed the order for folks.

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
Walk in pricing for 7 quart oil change(Carquest/Advance Autoparts):
5 QT Carquest oil(CQ9305QT): 19.94(due to montly oil filter sale)
2 QT Carquest oil(2x CQ930): 12.98
1 CQ filter(Baldwin supplier US made 85348): 6.05(Due to monthly oil change sale)

38.97 total with filter.

FL-910S is currently 7.99 walk in and without the oil change sale the CQ filter is marginally cheaper.

*EDIT*

Depending on the account used (College, Veteran, Shop accounts) the cost goes down past the sales price. Never be afraid to ask!

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
5 QT Carquest oil(CQ9305QT): 19.94(due to montly oil filter sale)
Is that Ford's recommended Motorcraft oil for the 2019 Ford Ranger? ;)
To do the proper price comparison to Walmart's Motorcraft price you need to compare "apples with apples";)

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
Is that Ford's recommended Motorcraft oil for the 2019 Ford Ranger? ;)
To do the proper price comparison to Walmart's Motorcraft price you need to compare "apples with apples";)
Per request :D

xo-5w30-5q3sp (CQ/AAP Motocraft oil manufature USA) SAE 5w-30 SN Plus Semi-synthetic
CQ9305qt (CQ/AAP Amalie oil manufacture USA) SAE 5w-30 SN Plus Full Synthetic

*Edit*
IMO, Full Synthetic offers durability far surpassing Semi-Synthetic for both hot and cold extremes. Worth the extra pennies for the extreme environments and driving habits people encounter.

After the dealer freebies I will be switching to the full synthetic, I've run full synthetic in all my vehicles with the only issues being it likes to find real tiny cracks in valve covers, and rear mains that haven't been changed in over two decades. Cold weather starting is great and heat transfer under heavy load is excellent. I highly recommend doing oil tests if you intend to go over 5-7k miles between oil changes but the detergents and additives in some of the newer formulations just refuse to break down under heavy abuse.
Sponsored

Last edited: