What car/truck are you replacing with the new Ranger?

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
I have had trucks since 1979, but have been without one since 2014, and I miss it. So I'm looking to replace my 2012 Ford Edge with a Crew Cab Ranger XLT 4x2. I'm waiting on the Ranger Drive Tour in San Antonio next month before I order one.

12/16/2018: Even before the Ride and Drive, changed my mind to go with the Lariat. Order placed late November.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SSingh1975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
['21 Ford Ranger XLT (Tremor) , BMW IX Electric
2018 Tacoma
May I ask why? For me, I'm trading in my 85k miles BMW X5 Diesel ...love the vehicle/handling but extended warranty is running out in 2019 which has already covered about $5k in repairs. Plus cost of ownership is on the higher side, typical of german vehicles.

I almost signed the paperwork for a '18 Off Road last Sunday but walked out as I just felt the truck is still underpowered for a V6 and the interior is too plasticy. The Ranger (in the same price) trumps the Taco in these aspects.

I still prefer the Taco front end more so (especially with BF KO tiers which give it a really aggressive look).

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Trading in my 2014 F150 Stx Sport 4x4 for the Ranger!

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
I was planning on selling my 2005 Explorer Sport Trac, but I told my wife tonight that I might have to keep her for a mountain truck. We might be a Three Truck Family :facepalm:
20161014_162724.jpg

Smithers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
I'm trading in my 2009 Wrangler unlimited. It's been a fun toy and I've done a ton of offroading with it but I'm ready to move on to something more practical. A lifted Jeep with 35s getting barely 12MPG isn't really that great of a daily driver.

BlakeRom

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
May I ask why? For me, I'm trading in my 85k miles BMW X5 Diesel ...love the vehicle/handling but extended warranty is running out in 2019 which has already covered about $5k in repairs. Plus cost of ownership is on the higher side, typical of german vehicles.
I almost signed the paperwork for a '18 Off Road last Sunday but walked out as I just felt the truck is still underpowered for a V6 and the interior is too plasticy. The Ranger (in the same price) trumps the Taco in these aspects.

I still prefer the Taco front end more so (especially with BF KO tiers which give it a really aggressive look).
The Taco is great! I feel like the interior quality is better than the ranger but it will probably look better in person as most Ford models. That and the front end are my only hangups. I am choosing to not attach to this truck because I cant get over the seats and the transmission. The tranny is what makes it feel underpowered and had to be the worst modern transmission to date. The seats hurt my back. Not sure if it's because I have the harder leather version or if all are like that.

I may just get a zr2 though since its rumored the raptor ranger wont be coming to the US.

Last edited:

LoneStarFlatLanders

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si - Sold my current car and waiting patiently on my new truck
I may just get a zr2 though since its rumored the raptor ranger wont be coming to the US.
If you do trails, search Google for ZR2 airbag deployments while on trails. There is growing chatter in the off-roading community regarding ZR2 side curtain airbags deploying on minimal terrain changes at low speeds. May be an issue with the truck over-reacting and thinking it is going to roll from what I have read.

BlakeRom

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
If you do trails, search Google for ZR2 airbag deployments while on trails. There is growing chatter in the off-roading community regarding ZR2 side curtain airbags deploying on minimal terrain changes at low speeds. May be an issue with the truck over-reacting and thinking it is going to roll from what I have read.
I heard about it. I'm not worried about it.

RangerConvert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
I'll be trading in my 2012 mustang gt premium. I'll miss the sunny glass roof and v8, but it's time for a more kid friendly and utilitarian vehicle. We had a good run, minus the hood corrosion (which a deer helped with taking care of). After 100K miles and no major mechanical issues, I'm hoping for a similar maintenance experience with the ranger.

I was happy with the power numbers coming from the 2.3L and the fact it runs on regular - which will be nice after 6 years of paying for premium fuel.

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
Occupation
Collision Repair Estimator
I'll be trading in my 2012 mustang gt premium. I'll miss the sunny glass roof and v8, but it's time for a more kid friendly and utilitarian vehicle. We had a good run, minus the hood corrosion (which a deer helped with taking care of). After 100K miles and no major mechanical issues, I'm hoping for a similar maintenance experience with the ranger.

I was happy with the power numbers coming from the 2.3L and the fact it runs on regular - which will be nice after 6 years of paying for premium fuel.
Pics of the mustang?

AnimeRanger87

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 XLT 2X4 Reg cab. 2019 XLT Supercrew 4x4, 2000 XLT Supercab 2x4
Occupation
Production associates with Honda
Vehicle Showcase
I will trading my 09 Ford Escape 4x4 XLT for the new Ranger!!!

WxNerd2015

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 Wrangler, 2017 Escape
Occupation
Applications Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
That Jeep is freakin cool! Looks like we got some Jeep guys here. I wonder how many Jeep enthusiasts will cross over to the Ranger side instead of going with the new Jeep Pickup.
Thanks! Been working very hard on that build! And has been well documented on a few of the Jeep forums that I am on! That has been a very fun one, and I absolutely love that Jeep, but definitely is becoming more of a toy now, and enjoying driving it harder and harder, so time for a better daily driver to allow me to do that! And as for not looking at the JT...I already have a Jeep! It to me would not make sense to get a second Jeep, just with a bed, as I already have my wheeling vehicle, and I absolutely love my current rig and don't want to trade it! The only way the JT makes sense to me, is to trade in my current JK, and then I have a pickup and my wheelin vehicle all in one, but that is what i am trying to get away from! The Ranger will be a much better everyday driver, and much better at doing regular "pickup" duties, as that it what it is built for! I used to have a smaller truck (a 2001 Dakota), and i absolutely loved the size and capabilities of that truck to do truck work, and want to get back to having a vehcile like that around too! And the rest of my family has always had Fords, and I believe that Ranger will be the perfect size and capabilities for me!

I know that was a super long response, and probably way too much information, but those are my personal reasons for not looking at the JT as much! And I already know how a Jeep driving on a regular basis...It drives like a Jeep! And there is nothing wrong for that for sure, I love it! But would be nice to have what the Ranger will offer as well! Plus, I have a feeling the price for the Ranger will be much more reasonable than the JT and leave me a lot more money left over for continuing to mod the Jeep, and put money towards mods on the Ranger!

Again, sorry for the long response/explanation! I am just a very long winded and talkative person, and am prone to over explaining! Haha! Just who I am, no reason to fight it!

Mires

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I'm replacing a 2013 Nissan Xterra. It's been dead reliable and is awesome offroad but I've been wanting to get back into a truck for quite a while now. I had 2 rangers years ago that were both pretty awesome to me. I've kept an eye on the global ranger since it became available wishing it would come back to the states one day and here we are. Finally!
Sponsored