First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I don't know where my Autozone Duralast is made but it's already failing into the second year...and that costed me $250...I'll take my chance with a $130 next time around...
That AutoZone battery is made by Johnson Controls and that's why. I want to say I put it in the general automotive discussion section and stated the three battery manufacturers. You will find Johnson controls East Penn and EnerSys. More details on that other post
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
Chris, 90% of the stuff you buy at Walmart or Amazon is made in China.

Given time, Even Walmart will start selling re-branded Weize batteries. Amazon already does. Go cry to Amazon and Walmart to stop selling stuff from China.

I don't like that this is how it is, but, apparently battery manufacturers in the USA can't compete on price. What must change to alter this?

My buying habits? Your attitude about your daughter working on a car battery assembly line? (No, you probably want her to go to college and get a degree in something)

Your statement "Don't come crying to me..." does not hold a lot of water. Because you have not yet purchased an AGM battery made in China. Those of who have will let you know.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

Given time, Even Walmart will start selling re-branded Weize batteries. Amazon already does. Go cry to Amazon and Walmart to stop selling stuff from China.

I don't like that this is how it is, but, apparently battery manufacturers in the USA can't compete on price. What must change to alter this?

My buying habits? Your attitude about your daughter working on a car battery assembly line? (No, you probably want her to go to college and get a degree in something)

Your statement "Don't come crying to me..." does not hold a lot of water. Because you have not yet purchased an AGM battery made in China. Those of who have will let you know.
"In America, estimates say that Chinese suppliers make up 70-80 percent of Walmart's merchandise, leaving less than 20 percent for American-made products,” according to the Alliance for American Manufacturing."

Some may recall Walmart's "buy american" ads some yrs back which they dropped when the FTC investigated them and found stuff pitched as made in America was made in China.

I like many buy Chinese products but have mixed feelings at times as they are known to engage in dumping and other unfair trade practices - so this is where our regulatory agencies come in to counter this with tariffs , otherwise kiss a whole lot more US mfg goodbye. The US treasury secretary is soon to meet with Chinese officials and discuss their trade practices with respect to solar and battery manufacturing where the Chinese control >60% of the world's supply.

Trump enacted IIRC a 25% tariff on Chinese autos which is a formidable barrier to the US market but make no mistake the Chinese are making competitive products.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

First off you went off the deep end. I don't care if you're a sponsor on this form or not. You said things that are considered not acceptable......

Second I'm already aware of how many things in the US are made in China. Doesn't mean I support it. When is something I have to rely on to make sure I get home safely I'm not going to support it being made in China. It's as simple as that.

OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
I'm just stating how it is Chris. I don't like how it is. We are at the point where, in many cases, we don't even have a choice to buy something American made.

I think a big part of it comes down to excessive regulation that makes it too costly to manufacture here. You probably don't want to live behind that battery factory anyway.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm just stating how it is Chris. I don't like how it is. We are at the point where, in many cases, we don't even have a choice to buy something American made.

I think a big part of it comes down to excessive regulation that makes it too costly to manufacture here. You probably don't want to live behind that battery factory anyway.
You're not wrong that there are many cases where we can't exactly buy American made anymore. I won't argue that fact. But I can promise you there's other things that are going to be much higher quality than something made in China. Perhaps something that's made in Japan or better yet Europe. Will it cost a little bit more? Absolutely it will. Why is that you ask? Maybe for the fact that people are actually getting paid a fair wage? I know they're not getting that in China.

Just keep that in mind next time you try to buy something just so you can save a few bucks.

OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
Well, Chris, this is how you are living in a state of denial regarding the scale of the problem of the disintegration of manufacturing in America.

You think that the problem can be solved by buyer's choice. I think that this can only be addressed by policy/regulatory changes that make manufacturing in America competitive. If this requires tariffs then so be it.

30 years ago people like you were screaming "Don't buy Japanese". Now, somehow you find that it is acceptable.

The quality of product from China continues to increase. As I stated, in many cases we have no option but to purchase product from China.

If you are telling me you never went into a Harbor Freight or Walmat to buy a tool to work on your vehicles then I don't think you are being totally honest.

Acknowledging the problem exist is the first step to resolving the problem. If you think that buyer's choice will resolve this then you have not yet acknowledged the scale of the problem.

Finally I will add - There is no "hi-tech" secret in building an AGM battery.

Last edited:

AndyMedic

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic
Installed mine last week. Fit fine, starts truck just fine, adjusted via forscan battery info and SOC. No issues yet.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Installed mine last week. Fit fine, starts truck just fine, adjusted via forscan battery info and SOC. No issues yet.
Well I ended up installing mine last month, not because my oem Ranger battery died, it still lives but in the wife's Hyundai Sante Fe whose 6 yr old battery was pretty much shot, just to shock/horrify some folks on here the 2013 Sante Fe charging system is made for flooded lead acid but the AGM should be ok.
I'm not expecting any issues from the Weize , they been in the battery biz for 20 yrs.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well I ended up installing mine last month, not because my oem Ranger battery died, it still lives but in the wife's Hyundai Sante Fe whose 6 yr old battery was pretty much shot, just to shock/horrify some folks on here the 2013 Sante Fe charging system is made for flooded lead acid but the AGM should be ok.
I'm not expecting any issues from the Weize , they been in the battery biz for 20 yrs.
Just because they have been in business for 20 years doesn't mean it's going to be worth it. I would still rather spend the money for a Odyssey that I know will last for a while and is not made in China or Mexico.
Sponsored