Sponsored

WeBoost Antenna - how much does it improve cell signals?

Frenchy

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Mar 15, 2020
Threads
169
Messages
7,699
Reaction score
10,978
Location
Elizabeth, Colorado
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier, 1994 F150 XL, 2022 Ford Transit
Occupation
Field Service Technician
Even a slow text is better than nothing especially when you're hiking. Also having that SOS button as a just in case option is nice.
Sponsored

 
OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

Moderator
First Name
Rob
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Threads
44
Messages
5,192
Reaction score
11,362
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
1
I would also recommend you consult a crowd-sourced cellular coverage map for areas you frequent or plan to visit. As that may sway your cost-benefit analysis for a one-time purchase (cell booster) vs a reoccurring subscription (Starlink)
Verizon Coverage Map (2026) | CoverageMap
Verizon (United States of America) - Cellular Coverage and Tower Map
Wow, these maps are a lot different than the ones I've seen previously. They look a lot more realistic based on my experience in the areas I hike frequently.

Even a slow text is better than nothing especially when you're hiking. Also having that SOS button as a just in case option is nice.
I'm not getting rid of my Garmin - it is very useful. I'm on the "10 messages per month" plan, so most of them are canned messages (which are free) - one reason I'm looking for other options. I can always send a message with the Garmin and pay if needed.
 
OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

Moderator
First Name
Rob
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Threads
44
Messages
5,192
Reaction score
11,362
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
1
Just a final note on this - I started thinking about all the data I logged over the last month, so I did some analysis on it to see what a weboost might do in the areas I logged while driving. Interesting results - not totally unexpected. But there is about a little over a quarter of the sample points that might be able to be picked up with the weboost. The logging indicated there was signal, but it was weak, which is exactly what the weboost is intended for. That is pretty promising results, based on real data. Now for the objective data-

Out of 373 total logged data points:
  • 241 (65%) are completely dead - weboost wouldn't help these at all
  • 105 (28%) were marginal - this is the target that weboost might help
  • 27 (7%) - these already had a good signal - weboost wouldn't change these

I think a weboost might be in my future......
 

Frenchy

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Mar 15, 2020
Threads
169
Messages
7,699
Reaction score
10,978
Location
Elizabeth, Colorado
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier, 1994 F150 XL, 2022 Ford Transit
Occupation
Field Service Technician
Just a final note on this - I started thinking about all the data I logged over the last month, so I did some analysis on it to see what a weboost might do in the areas I logged while driving. Interesting results - not totally unexpected. But there is about a little over a quarter of the sample points that might be able to be picked up with the weboost. The logging indicated there was signal, but it was weak, which is exactly what the weboost is intended for. That is pretty promising results, based on real data. Now for the objective data-

Out of 373 total logged data points:
  • 241 (65%) are completely dead - weboost wouldn't help these at all
  • 105 (28%) were marginal - this is the target that weboost might help
  • 27 (7%) - these already had a good signal - weboost wouldn't change these

I think a weboost might be in my future......
I will add to this.

On the 7% WeBoost can still improve signal even if it's just a little bit on a good signal.

On the28% you are correct that it will help significantly. Just be aware that some spots can still be weak even after a boost

For the last 65% I suspect that will drop when WeBoost is in use. By how much will depend on the carrier and the area you are in. Yes if you have a boosted signal in an area you don't normally have service, you can loose signal if the phone gets out of range of the WeBoost(I did that a time or two). That said the range does extend a bit.
 
OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

Moderator
First Name
Rob
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Threads
44
Messages
5,192
Reaction score
11,362
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
1
I will add to this.

On the 7% WeBoost can still improve signal even if it's just a little bit on a good signal.

On the28% you are correct that it will help significantly. Just be aware that some spots can still be weak even after a boost

For the last 65% I suspect that will drop when WeBoost is in use. By how much will depend on the carrier and the area you are in. Yes if you have a boosted signal in an area you don't normally have service, you can loose signal if the phone gets out of range of the WeBoost(I did that a time or two). That said the range does extend a bit.
I'm just trying to use real data and be somewhat conservative on interpreting the results - just to temper expectations - but this was a bit better than I was expecting.

If/when I get one, I will report back with actual results.
 


Joeiconic

Well-Known Member
First Name
Rob
Joined
Jan 31, 2021
Threads
28
Messages
1,777
Reaction score
6,024
Location
Georgia
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I’m 63 and in my lifetime I’ve tried to boost radio, CB, TV, internet wireless, you name it. It’s all been a fool’s errand and I suspect cellular is the same. The only thing seems to make any sense to me in the off-grid world is satellite. That’s where I would look if I had to have a signal. Of course, much of my early life hiking and camping was the true definition of off-grid, because there wasn’t any signals to boost. We just told someone where we were and if weren’t back in xx number of days, come get us. Somehow we made it.
 
OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

Moderator
First Name
Rob
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Threads
44
Messages
5,192
Reaction score
11,362
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
1
I’m 63 and in my lifetime I’ve tried to boost radio, CB, TV, internet wireless, you name it. It’s all been a fool’s errand and I suspect cellular is the same. The only thing seems to make any sense to me in the off-grid world is satellite. That’s where I would look if I had to have a signal. Of course, much of my early life hiking and camping was the true definition of off-grid, because there wasn’t any signals to boost. We just told someone where we were and if weren’t back in xx number of days, come get us. Somehow we made it.
We are the same age - I've also tried as well and had mixed results.

I have satellite if needed (my Garmin communicator) but I've just been looking for more convenience - sometimes having a cell signal makes things a lot easier, but I always am prepared to be totally off grid. When I go hiking I always tell my wife where I am going with a paper map so she knows where I will be. So far, so good...... Just did my 69th hike of the year.

FYI, I ended up purchasing a weboost and got it installed today - my first test was a bit of a letdown, but I will be doing more testing as time goes on. I'm hoping it ends up helping me get signal in more areas - if not, I will end up uninstalling it and returning it.
 

Frenchy

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Mar 15, 2020
Threads
169
Messages
7,699
Reaction score
10,978
Location
Elizabeth, Colorado
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier, 1994 F150 XL, 2022 Ford Transit
Occupation
Field Service Technician
We are the same age - I've also tried as well and had mixed results.

I have satellite if needed (my Garmin communicator) but I've just been looking for more convenience - sometimes having a cell signal makes things a lot easier, but I always am prepared to be totally off grid. When I go hiking I always tell my wife where I am going with a paper map so she knows where I will be. So far, so good...... Just did my 69th hike of the year.

FYI, I ended up purchasing a weboost and got it installed today - my first test was a bit of a letdown, but I will be doing more testing as time goes on. I'm hoping it ends up helping me get signal in more areas - if not, I will end up uninstalling it and returning it.
If you stay local it will be tough to see the results. Take some time to go farther and you will see the results. Also make sure that the power is off when the truck is off so you don't accidentally drain the battery.
 
OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

Moderator
First Name
Rob
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Threads
44
Messages
5,192
Reaction score
11,362
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
1
If you stay local it will be tough to see the results. Take some time to go farther and you will see the results. Also make sure that the power is off when the truck is off so you don't accidentally drain the battery.
For now, I've just hooked it up to the 12V plug which automatically powers off after the truck is off after a while. If it works and I decide to keep it, I will hard wire it in and make the install a bit more permanent.

If anyone ends up doing it, I was pretty happy with how the antenna wire routing went. I used a ditch light bracket and mounted it on the passenger side. I removed the coolant overflow and right underneath it there was a big rubber grommet that already had a plug in it that I could remove to run the antenna cable. It looks really good. I saved the plug in case I need to uninstall it.....

I will be heading out on Monday we will see how it works then.
Sponsored

 
 








Top