Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else install a Water/Methanol Injection Kit on their Ranger yet?

Here is where I am thinking about mounting my pump and bottle.

197FA9A1-1028-4258-B26B-A7607FDF99EF.jpeg
E6F46F8D-0941-4D6C-BEDD-7B24577C36F5.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Psykostevo

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
And it’s the time of year to stock up on the Winter Formula Windshield Washer Fluid. We don’t get the -20*F formula where I live, but that one has an even higher methanol concentration.

can’t beat $1.78 per gallon for premixed boost juice!

A4D5FFD8-CF23-40B7-BFFD-7A7EFAABE16D.jpeg
26CC7163-6107-4C77-8897-D2F592ACD20D.jpeg

OP
OP
Psykostevo

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
never even heard of this lol learning everyday
Oh really? This stuff is a great way of cooling off the air before it gets sucked into the intake manifold. It’s like a liquid intercooler. The Methanol (in addition to being a great evaporative cooler) is also a high octane fuel so you effectively increase the octane rating of your pump gas.

All in all this allows you to run higher boost more safely, by reducing your Manifold Air Temps and Cylinder Temps. You can also increase timing advance further if you want/can to see even more power gains from the cooling and octane benefits.

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
I’ve had it in several turbo cars and diesel trucks. My 3.0L TD Hilux Surf had it energize through two 1.0 GPH nozzles whenever the truck hit more than 10PSU of boost, so it ran constantly at highway speeds. I ran a 40 gallon tank of it. In the summer months I’d run straight water just to save money, as methanol just elevated the EGTs too much. In the winter I mixed it just diluted enough to prevent it from freezing.
I ran it in a JDM Subaru WRX and it was noticeable when the system was energized. Was unfortunate when the pump stuck on at idle and hydro-locked the motor...

If there was a kit built for the ranger allowing for a nice integrated location, and a tune to match, I’d run it. Not really worth running it on a modern vehicle if it’s not tuned for it.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Anyone else install a Water/Methanol Injection Kit on their Ranger yet?

Here is where I am thinking about mounting my pump and bottle.

197FA9A1-1028-4258-B26B-A7607FDF99EF.jpeg
E6F46F8D-0941-4D6C-BEDD-7B24577C36F5.jpeg
Just an inquiry, why would you put a water/ethanol kit in a Ranger?
Regards

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
Just an inquiry, why would you put a water/ethanol kit in a Ranger?
Regards
Atomizing of water/meth absorbs massive amounts of heat. Basically chemical inter cooling. Methanol has a high octane rating, allowing you to essentially burn higher octane fuel when needed, while only paying for pump gas. Higher octane allows for more timing, higher boost levels, and on and on. Great for drag racing, heavy towing, or guys who want to run 91/93 octane, while tuning for a higher octane under load

also, the water when it evaporates creates steam. Keeps the valves and cylinders looking new. I’ve torn apart a few engines I’ve had, that I’ve run meth injection on, and they look almost new, there’s zero carbon build up. On my rotary engine, there’s actually a port to suck water into, to steam clean the housings while the engine runs.

Last edited:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Oh really? This stuff is a great way of cooling off the air before it gets sucked into the intake manifold. It’s like a liquid intercooler. The Methanol (in addition to being a great evaporative cooler) is also a high octane fuel so you effectively increase the octane rating of your pump gas.

All in all this allows you to run higher boost more safely, by reducing your Manifold Air Temps and Cylinder Temps. You can also increase timing advance further if you want/can to see even more power gains from the cooling and octane benefits.
For the record..who did your tune?

OP
OP
Psykostevo

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Just asking...how many 2019 Ecoboost rangers have you tuned?
Just my own as far as Rangers go. I did tuning professionally for about 14 years but switched my focus to another career a couple years ago.

Direct Injected Turbocharged cars with Torque-based ECUs are my specialty. They are what I always seemed to have the most fun with while the other tuning shops were left scratching their heads most the time.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Just my own as far as Rangers go. I did tuning professionally for about 14 years but switched my focus to another career a couple years ago.

Direct Injected Turbocharged cars with Torque-based ECUs are my specialty. They are what I always seemed to have the most fun with while the other tuning shops were left scratching their heads most the time.
Very good !
Regards

OP
OP
Psykostevo

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Very good !
Regards
I am contemplating writing up some info on Tuning these in case other people are interested in having a better understanding of what their truck is trying to do, etc.

Seems that a lot of people have no idea what the limitations and benefits of having a Torque-based ECU and running on Speed Density are.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I am contemplating writing up some info on Tuning these in case other people are interested in having a better understanding of what their truck is trying to do, etc.

Seems that a lot of people have no idea what the limitations and benefits of having a Torque-based ECU and running on Speed Density are.
Hi Steve,

Are you sure it is speed density? Thought Ford uses Direct Air Mass measurements..

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Where & what would you use for the injector with this setup? Also curious about the output from this pump to atomize the mix into your injection point, what kind of psi is available with the injection?
Sponsored