First Name
Kymbrill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX-4
Occupation
Automotive Retail
I just saw what the 392 V8 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon will be starting at over $70,000. NO thank you. While I have owned one Jeep a 98 Grand Cherokee V8( traded it on a 02 2wd Explorer) I have never been impressed with any Jeeps. given a choice I will still take my Ranger FX4. Yeah the Rubi can be more capable. For $70k you can get a fully loaded Ranger and still have money to add to the capability of the ranger. I think adding a front locker, lift, and bigger tires. to a FX4 Ranger still wouldn't add up to $70k.
It is just my thoughts.
If I liked Jeeps then why would I have had a sticker on my first Explorer, "screw your Jeep thing"

Kym
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I'd say it all depends on how you intend to use the vehicle and what your preferences are as far as powertrains, offroad capabilities and so on. You can get multiple engine choices in the Wranglers, turbo4 , turbo 4 with e assist, V6, a diesel and now a V8 , with ranger just a 2.3.

Have a friend with a special edition Rubicon with the 30" + tires, detachable sway bar links and so, with it's short wheelbase it has off road capabilities I don't think a highly modded ranger could match.

So Jeep has several models that can be configured in a whole lot of different ways and they consistently rank high in resale value.

As for price - well people plunk down $150k and more for Range Rovers, supercharged V8s and all, so wouldn't be surprised at people buying a v8 Wrangler for $70k , my Lariat cost half that though and for my needs it's close to perfect.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say it all depends on how you intend to use the vehicle and what your preferences are as far as powertrains, offroad capabilities and so on. You can get multiple engine choices in the Wranglers, turbo4 , turbo 4 with e assist, V6, a diesel and now a V8 , with ranger just a 2.3.

Have a friend with a special edition Rubicon with the 30" + tires, detachable sway bar links and so, with it's short wheelbase it has off road capabilities I don't think a highly modded ranger could match.

So Jeep has several models that can be configured in a whole lot of different ways and they consistently rank high in resale value.

As for price - well people plunk down $150k and more for Range Rovers, supercharged V8s and all, so wouldn't be surprised at people buying a v8 Wrangler for $70k , my Lariat cost half that though and for my needs it's close to perfect.
I kind of get why Ford only chose the 2.3 for the Ranger - it works exceptionally well coupled with the 10 speed - IMO, it kind of has it all - you get good mileage and if/when you want power, you have it. The powertrain consistently amazes me. I really don't think a V8 would give you anything except better exhaust sound.

My Lariat is about as close to being a perfect vehicle as I've owned in my lifetime. It isn't perfect, but it is very close.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
I just saw what the 392 V8 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon will be starting at over $70,000. NO thank you. While I have owned one Jeep a 98 Grand Cherokee V8( traded it on a 02 2wd Explorer) I have never been impressed with any Jeeps. given a choice I will still take my Ranger FX4. Yeah the Rubi can be more capable. For $70k you can get a fully loaded Ranger and still have money to add to the capability of the ranger. I think adding a front locker, lift, and bigger tires. to a FX4 Ranger still wouldn't add up to $70k.
It is just my thoughts.
If I liked Jeeps then why would I have had a sticker on my first Explorer, "screw your Jeep thing"

Kym
Yep!
https://www.motortrend.com/news/202...EB6B6F780429A2E39377C1D9156F29865FFD8180CD364
1614277503251.png

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Jeep probably loves articles like the Motor Trend write up, attracts attention and makes those with a pile of cash want to be among the 1st to own a V8 Wrangler, guy on my street had a Grand Cherokee SRT some yrs back and then he traded it in for a newer SRT which I think had even more power . I saw a Maserati Levante in Boulder last summer - it looked pretty nice but not sure why MT would compare the Wrangler to it, I don't think the Maserati is intended for off road use, I think a comparison to the Ranger Rovers would be more appropriate and you can and people do drop some major coin on those.
Sponsored