Useful 3D printed items..

XL_Ranger_Danger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL Ranger, (Previously 1976 Series III 109)
Occupation
Project Manager
Anyone know if there is a place like FedEx Office that will let you bring in a design and print it? I don't have enough need for a 3D printer but occasionally I need a little something printed.
Hey Greg, I would do some local googling for "Makerspaces" These are typically educational STEM-based non-profits that have free or very cheap access to 3D printers.

For example, the local library in my town Huntington Beach, allows free filament for projects that take less than 2 hours: https://hbpl.libguides.com/makerspace/3dprinting

Hope this helps
Sponsored

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Those are all very cool prints and ideas above:D

The one reason I haven't yet bought a 3D printer, is the airborne particulates are toxic. There is research that shows the small particulates generated by printing end up stuck in the lungs.

If I had a space that's open to the atmosphere where the toxins wouldn't be breathed, then all would be well :) But, then in those varied temp/humidity environments, prints wouldn't work as well.

Some companies make enclosures and filters, but I haven't seen research yet that shows how effective they are.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
Those are all very cool prints and ideas above:D

The one reason I haven't yet bought a 3D printer, is the airborne particulates are toxic. There is research that shows the small particulates generated by printing end up stuck in the lungs.

If I had a space that's open to the atmosphere where the toxins wouldn't be breathed, then all would be well :) But, then in those varied temp/humidity environments, prints wouldn't work as well.

Some companies make enclosures and filters, but I haven't seen research yet that shows how effective they are.
Really depends on the material and type of printer. AFAIK there are no long term reviewed studies yet on the affects of any of it. Some materials have more "fumes" than others, but a normal extruded plastic printer doesn't have "particals". You might be thinking of SLS type printers which start with a powder and use a laser to "melt" it together. SLA/Resin printers are the new hotness and the toxicity of their resin can vary wildly. New "bio" resin that doesn't need alcohol to wash, and is made from plant plastics is much safer.

BUT, I do all my 3D printing in an closed room with filtration and extra filtration on the resin printer. Off Gas and related things can get smelly. For the casual printer hobbiest though, the offgasing from your new trucks interior will be more dangerous in the long run.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my 3D printing setup. I've gone all Prusa from the start because it works out of the box and keeps working until I decide to "fix something". Their filament is also top notch. I use it exclusively for my power harness adapters and anything that I sell. I started with the MK3s and got the Mini as a second (now primary) printer when I wanted to do some upgrades. Since I make money off these, I can't afford to not have one always printing.

The room is a small "hobby" room in our basement. So I can heat it as a large chamber basically for consistency. Plus it keeps the smell/fumes/noise out of the rest of the house since it has no HVAC hookup into the rest of the system. Cameras and Octoprint allow me to monitor everything remotely. All the heat making devices are on remote outlets and sensors will shut off the outlets if things get out of hand or there is smoke detected (smoke alarm triggers automation).

I produce the 12V bed power kit BTW. So, having a good, reliable printer setup is a must.

2022-01-24 09_08_29-20220108_182422538_iOS.heic - IrfanView (Zoom_ 1459 x 1945).png

2022-01-24 09_07_57-20220117_163148773_iOS.heic - IrfanView (Zoom_ 2593 x 1945).png

2022-01-24 09_07_46-20220117_163157326_iOS.heic - IrfanView (Zoom_ 2593 x 1945).png

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Anyone know if there is a place like FedEx Office that will let you bring in a design and print it? I don't have enough need for a 3D printer but occasionally I need a little something printed.
Send it to me, I'll take a look and print it for you, as long as PLA is fine. I haven't used PETG or ABS yet.
I have a CR-10 with a 300x300x400 print area.

Ds_2020Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL FX4
Can hub centric rings be 3d printed? Im struggling to find ones I need so had thought about maybe having a set 3d printed, but I dont know anything about 3d printing or how to create a file to be printed

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Can hub centric rings be 3d printed? Im struggling to find ones I need so had thought about maybe having a set 3d printed, but I dont know anything about 3d printing or how to create a file to be printed
Not a good idea to make those out of plastic.

shaketxavius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Paramedic
You could probably get away with them being printed in PETG or ABS with a very heavy infill to prevent deformity from heat/pressure. This can be difficult as PETG is a bit trickier to print with on printers like the Ender 3, and ABS is straight up toxic at the temperatures needed for printing.

Alternatively, they're very cheap and can be purchased as injection molded ABS or metal versions for at or less than $20.

I had thought about doing that myself, but decided against it and instead use the file I found to make up some replacement hubcaps for my wheels, which I still have yet to put on lol.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Send it to me, I'll take a look and print it for you, as long as PLA is fine. I haven't used PETG or ABS yet.
I have a CR-10 with a 300x300x400 print area.
Gracias! Don't have anything at the moment because it's always a thought I have at that point in time.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
just to clarify for me, hub centric rings are simple guides to center the wheel when torquing correct?
they dont offer anything more than that do they?
once torqued correctly, the wheels not going anywhere and the ring could literally fall out and things will be fine.
Am I wrong?
Theoretically, yes but we are talking about very high dynamic loads.

Turborave

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Vehicle Showcase
anyone have PLA printed things in the truck? wondering how they hold up to the summer heat.

shaketxavius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Paramedic
but are they really under any load themselves?
once the lugs are torqued, the friction between the wheel and the hub, studs and nuts are what take the load.

I only ask because i recall someone in the earlier days crying foul that the rings that came with their wheels were plastic.
That makes sense. My concern was temperatures making the rings melt all over my wheels and hub assembly. That's why I got PETG, it has a melting point similar to ABS but is less toxic to print. The rings I bought were ABS anyways, but with better tolerances than I'm sure I would have gotten from my printer.
Sponsored