First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
Idk if anyone else noticed? But I just figured it out a few days ago.
Setting your max gear. I usually set it to 6th around town up to 45mph. I mostly run 9th on the freeways. 10th seems to clunky and it always wants to downshift.
It's a short trip to work 12 miles.
I don't like the push button shift. Even in sport mode it's just horrible. Hopefully a tune will tighten it up.
Frankly, I'd like the big clunky "shift handle" that changes the modes, as the gear shifter.
Forceful, firm, it would be so much better. And it sounds cool.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
The only thing that would be better than sport mode in the Ranger would be paddle shifters hands down. But! Sport mode works fine for me!
Did you tune it to tighten up the shift? The delay is just ridiculous, I get frustrated very fast and throw it back into D.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Did you tune it to tighten up the shift? The delay is just ridiculous, I get frustrated very fast and throw it back into D.
It’s a timing thing and not an immediate shift point. Like a 1.5 second delay. Keeping that in mind you adjust for it until it becomes something you don’t even think about anymore.

You do know that even in drive you have a limited amount of gears in ether direction to use the sport button to change. Also shows up on the dash what gear you’re in when you do that

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
It’s a timing thing and not an immediate shift point. Like a 1.5 second delay. Keeping that in mind you adjust for it until it becomes something you don’t even think about anymore.

You do know that even in drive you have a limited amount of gears in ether direction to use the sport button to change. Also shows up on the dash what gear you’re in when you do that
Yep. What RPM are you shiftting at, I don't spool it up that high. Could be my problem. Around 2200.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
so the timing delay on shifting...is that inherent to the transmission itself looking for the right pressure or is it electronic and therefore adjustable?

does/can a tuner possibly fix this? I know it won't ever match the speed of a double clutch setup but can it be sped up a bit?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Yes most tunes clean up the transmission behavior.

The stock programming suffers from what I believe most refer to as "gear hunting" and I think it also gear skips. Gear hunting is especially bad on large slopes/hills.

My tuner (5 star programming) addressed this and a plethora of other quality of life problems from the factory.

- long rolling hills result in usually only one down shift as needed

- throttle body response ("gas pedal lag") now mimics how a car use to operate (an actual physical line between the pedal and throttle) instead of using electronic drive by wire

- tire size re-calibration (my speedometer was off by 1mph per 10mph of speed going to 33" tires)

- disable auto/stop start

It is very clear that Ford retarded the engine/transmission by way of programming. Probably to inflate MPG capabilities and appease red tape regulations.

Keep in mind while the motors are not 100% identical, one of the Mustang trims shares our 2.3L engine and its programmed for 300+ HP

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
The only thing that would be better than sport mode in the Ranger would be paddle shifters hands down. But! Sport mode works fine for me!
Agree, and while we're at it, let's bump it up to a 7 speed dual clutch.
I know this is an old post but apparently the new Ranger Raptor has paddle shifters...
Sponsored