First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
Living in Denver and driving in the highway a lot, I've accumulated a fair amount of dings in my paint from small rocks and pebbles being kicked up by other drivers. I'm saddened as I've only had the truck for a month and have at least 5 chips. From what I can tell they're pretty deep, possibly down to the body. My girlfriend's crv hasn't gotten and we've driven it across the country. Anyways, has anyone had any luck with touch up paint pens? I found this video and it seems like the right way to do it.

What can I do to protect my paint from future chips caused by small rocks and pebbles? At this rate I'll have 50+ little nicks and chips by the end of the year.
Sponsored

Extreme01

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2008 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Have it professionally detailed and chips taking care of then have them install a 3M clear protective film on. This will take care of any future problems. One of my first things done since I've bought my truck..

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
I have the same "chip" issues here in Grand Junction. The culprit is the chip seal CDOT puts on all the roads. I use a paint stick to touch them up, then keep ceramic sealer on the whole truck, concentrating on vertical surfaces that are more prone to direct hits. I kind of accept it as that's the best you can do.

I did have a product (can't remember the name) like 3m that is "self correcting" applied to the vertical, front facing areas on my trike ... seems to help and does "self fix" little scratches, it also seems to "attract" bugs ... LOL. The bugs are harder to get off the film than the point, It may just be that the areas with the film get more bugs and are direct hits.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Ford sells touch up paint pens. The pen has paint / clear coat and a built in abrasive point to clean the chip before application.

https://www.blueovalindustries.com/ford-paint.html

I have one but haven't used it yet. I've got two big scratches on the roof from a dump truck dropping rocks on the highway :explode:

Last edited:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Oriellys auto parts has some Ford color paint pens.

ProtonDecay

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
You might have a look at:

https://expresspaint.com/

I have not used these guys, exactly, but believe they are the same folks that run colorrite (yep, that's two "r"s) and colorrite has saved my bacon on numerous motorcycles over the years, from simple Harley black to multi-layer BMW metallic.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
I've used these guys in the past for other projects. Bought a touch up pen in lightning blue with a clear coat pen for my truck. Haven't used it yet, waiting for warmer weather.
Automotivetouchup.com

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I have used Dr. Color Chip for years to fix paint chips and minor scratches that will not buff out with very good results. That system works fairly well for smaller issues and in some cases will completely fill the blemish making it near impossible to see. It does work much better on some colors than others and if you do a little prep work on the chip like sanding and/or removing and paint that separated from the primer prior to filling it with paint will render much better results. You also want to have a stock of paint touchup brushes and toothpicks handy to apply the paint.
Sponsored