Throttle Body went out at 45K

Mccord61

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I was driving home from Atlanta, GA on 02/16, when I started to notice the truck seemed to be having problems accelerating while getting on the interstate. After getting on the interstate it seemed to be running normal but after about 10 miles I lost all acceleration and had to pull over. Once I was pulled over the check engine light and several other notifications began to flash on the display. The truck was running still but it was a very rough idle. I turned the truck off and called Ford and they were able to see the codes it was throwing, which they told me there was a problem with my throttle body. I was able to start the truck and limp it into the nearest Ford dealership where they were able to run diagnostics and told me it needed a new throttle body.

My question, has anyone else had to or heard of someone having to replace a throttle body? I have had no problems with the truck up until this point which I still love my Ranger. I am just looking for what might have caused this to happen. My daily commute is driving 55 miles one way to work all interstate plus traveling across the southeast for work. My truck will have 85k+ on it before the end of the year.

Dealer is replacing the throttle body today 02/18 and I will have my truck back before 12:00pm.

Update:
Picked the Ranger up from the dealer and was told I had moisture inside the Throttle Body. Per the mechanic, this is what most likely caused the TB to malfunction. The only cause for moisture in the TB that I can think of is the weather we had on 02/15 - 02/16. It was freezing rain and some snow with temperatures in the 20's. It could have caused condensation in the TB maybe???
Sponsored

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I don't recall anyone having issues with theirs. There are a lot of parts delays still with Covid, good thing your dealer had one in stock and will have you up and running quickly. Hopefully it's just an isolated problem and you'll be good from now on.

OP
OP
Mccord61

Mccord61

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I don't recall anyone having issues with theirs. There are a lot of parts delays still with Covid, good thing your dealer had one in stock and will have you up and running quickly. Hopefully it's just an isolated problem and you'll be good from now on.
@AzScorpion You are very right, our dealerships here in Alabama are having a hard time getting new F-150 and parts. I am extremely lucky they were able to find the part. I believe this is an isolated problem, just wanted to see if someone else has had this problem and might know what could have caused it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
@AzScorpion You are very right, our dealerships here in Alabama are having a hard time getting new F-150 and parts. I am extremely lucky they were able to find the part. I believe this is an isolated problem, just wanted to see if someone else has had this problem and might know what could have caused it.
Try doing a search for throttle body top right corner of the page. When I did 9 pages came up and I looked through the first two and didn't find anyone who had issues.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
My question, has anyone else had to or heard of someone having to replace a throttle body? I have had no problems with the truck up until this point which I still love my Ranger. I am just looking for what might have caused this to happen.
Well it's electric so it can fail, but usually a dependable part. But gives me the opportunity to recount when the TB failed on my SAAB - which used a more complex TB and therefore more failure prone .

TB failure occurred while traveling from Denver to Buff, cruising around 55 and punched the gas pedal to pass and CEL lights up, boost and rpm were limited but continued on the journey to Buffalo NY before checking in with a local dealer. This is where one of my more memorable SAAB experiences occurred, while waiting on the repair I asked the service mgr if they see a lot of TB failures, at that time my car was under 20k miles. He replied - "no they never fail unless you are using cheap gas like they sell on the Seneca Indian reservation"
I assured him I wouldn't use that gas - but actually I have always when visiting WNY because my in laws had a cottage a short drive from the Seneca Indian reservation where no taxes were levied so yes cheaper gas . But couldn't believe a service mgr would say something so incorrect on several levels, I had to conclude that maybe he had relatives at the Little Big Horn. Got my car back and got out of that place.

OP
OP
Mccord61

Mccord61

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
hows the dealer see the codes while youre sitting on the side of the road?
So this was a first for me, because my truck is connected with the Ford Pass app they were able to connect to it and see the codes the computer was showing. I have include a few pictures from the app that notified me once I pulled over. They still hooked it up to the computer when I got to the dealership to run diagnostics, but they could see that it had something to do with the throttle body while I was on the side of the road.

IMG_1769.PNG
IMG_1770.PNG

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Ryan is this covered under the powertrain?
And yes, someone here had to have a TB replaced on one of the early '19 models. And it was in the winter season as I recall.

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy GTB, RX7 FD, soon buying a ranger
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
F150's have throttle body issues. Js

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Mccord61

Mccord61

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Ryan is this covered under the powertrain?
And yes, someone here had to have a TB replaced on one of the early '19 models. And it was in the winter season as I recall.
It was not covered under the powertrain warranty. It was covered under my premium care warranty that I purchased when I bought the Ranger. All I had to pay was a $100 deductible.
Sponsored