First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
I don't let anyone else drive my truck any more than necessary. My wife once in a while but actually I don't worry about her.
Last time I let my wife drive my truck she drove it 50 feet forward and about 10 feet backward before she realized the the e brake was still on.

she gets to drive it as little as I can get away with.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I can understand you're angry, but calling for a replacement of the whole panel would be a stupid move on your part. If the paint is just damaged, why even replace the panel at all? By adding having to replace the fender, you increase the risk of further issues (misalignment, improper fastening, more damage, more time in the shop, etc.). And then they'll have to paint the new panel anyways! Another thing to consider is that while this happened on their watch, they might not have done it! Having previously just worked at a Ford dealership, I can tell you that other customers and vendors hit customer cars in the parking lot, ALL THE TIME! Good on the dealership for taking responsibility though.

My suggestion - calmly work with the dealership to get it fixed. Be polite and courteous to them, as they will want to work with you more to make you right over the situation. Give them an attitude, and they'll do just the bare minimum to get you out of there. No, kidding, they'll get you fixed up and fired as a customer if you come across as a dick. But if you approach it as a "work with you on getting this fixed" attitude, they'll most likely go above and beyond to get you fixed up and insure you have a good customer experience.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Additionally, if the whole side panel is replaced, it will be entered in a data base via your vin, showing the vehicle was in an "accident" requiring body repair. Vehicle value goes down as most people looking at a used vehicle are automatically turned away by the word "damage and accident".
I don't know about other members, but personally, if I see the word damage or accident on a vehicle report I totally disregard that vehicle.
A simple paint repair should not show up as "damage".

Last edited:

Tfcurranjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired USAF pilot
If it’s dented…better strap in. Cheap, double-walled box….no access from “inside”…you’re looking at a skin graft. This ding ended up costing north of $6,000..

1660626401800.jpeg

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
I’m still a crack shot! Need help with some porch lights? ?
Yeah used to shoot expert in the military but have been honing those skills ever since. Porch lights these days are considered a miss from a different target. The thinking carnage should have happened, no sense of humor or warning anymore. Just don’t do it is my suggestion.

Chriswlbr94

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger stx
Occupation
Machinist
Last time I let my wife drive my truck she drove it 50 feet forward and about 10 feet backward before she realized the the e brake was still on.

she gets to drive it as little as I can get away with.
Did that cause any damage, besides maybe some brake wear? I tried backing up yesterday and realized I had the e brake on ? I maybe went a couple inches and realized it was on. Minimal in comparison, but it's my baby and I wanna make sure no damage was done lol.

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
Did that cause any damage, besides maybe some brake wear? I tried backing up yesterday and realized I had the e brake on ? I maybe went a couple inches and realized it was on. Minimal in comparison, but it's my baby and I wanna make sure no damage was done lol.
No, you’re fine. I’ve driven 25+ miles with a seized rear caliper on my jeep Jk lol. I didn’t have a choice, it wasnt at 100% clamp force, but yeah the rotor was red hot and partially melted out my axle seal. But all I had to do was replace a rear wheel bearing and axle seal, which cost like 50 bucks and about and hour. Magically, the rotors weren’t warped, there was still brake material on the pads, and the seal held on enough to keep some oil in the diff.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
You don’t need to be worried if you forget to turn it off for a short period like that.
Sponsored