Suggestions for Retractable Tonneau Covers?

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Does anyone have any experience with retractable covers? Any pros/cons to help a fellow Ranger out?

My goals are to get a high quality cover that is secure, lockable, supports a decent amount of weight on top, and keeps the rain out. Low profile, matte black. Currently I am looking at:

RetraxPRO MX Tonneau Cover (manual)
https://realtruck.com/p/retraxpro-mx-tonneau-cover/v/ford/ranger/2019/

GatorTrax Electric Tonneau Cover
https://realtruck.com/p/gatortrax-electric-tonneau-cover/v/ford/ranger/2019/
Sponsored

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone have any experience with retractable covers? Any pros/cons to help a fellow Ranger out?

My goals are to get a high quality cover that is secure, lockable, supports a decent amount of weight on top, and keeps the rain out. Low profile, matte black. Currently I am looking at:

RetraxPRO MX Tonneau Cover (manual)
https://realtruck.com/p/retraxpro-mx-tonneau-cover/v/ford/ranger/2019/

GatorTrax Electric Tonneau Cover
https://realtruck.com/p/gatortrax-electric-tonneau-cover/v/ford/ranger/2019/
This my cover. It is a Retrax and does not leak. Not sure about amount of weight you can place on it.

Ranger cover.jpg

CWO2LT

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport trim 4 x 4, Hot Pepper Red, Line-X bed liner, Retrax Pro XR tonneau cover
Love my retraxpro. So far it's been dry.

OP
OP
Rene Michaels

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This my cover. It is a Retrax and does not leak. Not sure about amount of weight you can place on it.

Ranger cover.jpg

Ranger cover.jpg
Looks good Roger! Any issues with the track itself? Does it catch, is it smooth?

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Ford version of the RetraxPro XR (with the T Slots). The first few times using the lock/unlock tab were very difficult, but I'm talking like first 3 times, and since then it's been fine. It smoothly glides open/closed. It's easy to just fling it all the way open from the tailgate, though I normally walk it closed from the side. I use the T slots for the Yakima Overhaul HD, and the Yakima eyelets, which I've used to secure the net over the bed when I had things that required me to have the tonneau cover open. I have plans to use them to secure firewood on top of the cover for the last couple of miles to the campsite, but I haven't done that yet. I will say that if it was a longer distance than that or more weight, I would probably rather just put it on crossbars over top of the tonneau cover instead of directly on it. I've also found it useful when I'm digging through the bed for something to be able to pull something out and put it on top of the cover in order to access something behind/below it - something I previously couldn't have really done with my previous fabric cover.

As for water leakage, after using a tailgate seal, the only place I get any is right in the bottom corners of the tailgate, which no matter how much I attempt to seal, I can't seem to get 100%.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
They're nice, basically comes down to how you use your truck and whether you can lose a foot of bed for the canister.

OP
OP
Rene Michaels

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Ford version of the RetraxPro XR (with the T Slots). The first few times using the lock/unlock tab were very difficult, but I'm talking like first 3 times, and since then it's been fine. It smoothly glides open/closed. It's easy to just fling it all the way open from the tailgate, though I normally walk it closed from the side. I use the T slots for the Yakima Overhaul HD, and the Yakima eyelets, which I've used to secure the net over the bed when I had things that required me to have the tonneau cover open. I have plans to use them to secure firewood on top of the cover for the last couple of miles to the campsite, but I haven't done that yet. I will say that if it was a longer distance than that or more weight, I would probably rather just put it on crossbars over top of the tonneau cover instead of directly on it. I've also found it useful when I'm digging through the bed for something to be able to pull something out and put it on top of the cover in order to access something behind/below it - something I previously couldn't have really done with my previous fabric cover.

As for water leakage, after using a tailgate seal, the only place I get any is right in the bottom corners of the tailgate, which no matter how much I attempt to seal, I can't seem to get 100%.
Thanks for sharing your experience Jeff. I'm leaning more toward an auto retractable with remote like https://realtruck.com/p/gatortrax-electric-tonneau-cover/v/ford/ranger/2019/. A little easier for the wife to operate. Price is a killer though (that $1995 one was $200 less last week). Waiting to see what deals may come up on black Friday or cyber Monday.

jeb134

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Retrax one from Ford, and am very happy with it. It came with the truck and was hard to lock into place at first but I adjusted the lock per the instructions with an Allen wrench and have had no problems since. It opens and closes nice and smooth and am happy I got it. I haven't put anything on it of significant weight, but I don't plan to use it that way either.

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
I have the Retrax as well. I like the fact that its very easy to use and deal with on a daily basis. You just have push it open and close, no hassle folding and so on. Also I like how it locks. Along with the locking tailgate, I feel comfortable keep valuables in the bed. I don't have to worry when I head out on a side job.... keeps my personal tools secure and out of sight, if I have to run errands to and/or from a job.

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
My wife has the manual RetraxPro MX on her '13 F150. She can operate it fine and she is 5'2". It works well but none are billed as 100% waterproof. Hers leaks at the tailgate top because of the step in the tailgate. I have a seal around the sides/bottom of the tailgate which helps to keep dust/dirt/water out while driving. Haven't gotten mine for my Ranger yet but will be getting the RetraxPro XR soon.

OP
OP
Rene Michaels

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the input gentlemen! I ended up purchasing the RetraxPRO XR Tonneau Cover earlier today. $200 off for cyber Monday. Will post pics when installed.

juniorzz010

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Rene Michaels, pretty nice choice, for sure. If I would choose some reliable and qualified cover for me, I would consider about model Roll-N-Lock LG221M, cause a friend of mine has such cover, he found this over here ( url: https://truckcoverexpert.com/ ), because it's made with Vinyl fabric and pretty easy to install and use as well. It's the main things for me.

OP
OP
Rene Michaels

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rene Michaels, pretty nice choice, for sure. If I would choose some reliable and qualified cover for me, I would consider about model Roll-N-Lock LG221M, cause a friend of mine has such cover, he found this over here ( url: https://truckcoverexpert.com/ ), because it's made with Vinyl fabric and pretty easy to install and use as well. It's the main things for me.
That looks like a nice cover. I opted for the RetraxPRO XR because it uses heavy duty aluminum slats (very durable) and will hold up to 500lbs on top. Not sure I'll need the 500lb capacity, but nice to have just in case. And I got the crossbars. The cover was shipped, I just haven't had a chance to install it yet. I'll post pics when done.

OP
OP
Rene Michaels

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love the Retrax Pro XR. It opens and rolls very smoothly. Locking it takes a little force but not too terrible. It is definitely NOT watertight. We had rain here in Central Texas over the last couple days and there was some water in the bed ...not a lot, but enough that I will need additional protection for anything I don't want wet. Pics below...

IMG_20191221_161758.jpg

IMG_20191221_161858.jpg

IMG_20191221_161907.jpg

IMG_20191222_143922.jpg

IMG_20191222_143944.jpg

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
I like the Retrax also. The wife has one on her '13 F-150. Definitely not water proof but it doesn't "rain in", just leaks into the side a little and around the top of the tallgate (she has the step in the tailgate). She has a tote to keep her "trunk" stuff in. I will be adding one to my Ranger soon. It will be the Retrax Pro XR.
Sponsored