Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Street racing is bad, dangerous, and ILLEGAL. Don't ever even think about it.

But if you do.... ;-)

Back in the early 2000's I had a Nissan Titan and frequented the "Titan Talk" forum. Guys there with 4x4 would street race them in 4WD HI. They ate up all sorts of cars. Apparently the way Nissan designed the 4WD system for the Titan, it wasn't a problem on pavement. They did report faster tire wear but never that there was any mechanical issues after doing this repeatedly.

Can our Fords do the same?
On a hypothetical track?
That isn't a public street?
Sponsored

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Street racing is bad, dangerous, and ILLEGAL. Don't ever even think about it.

But if you do.... ;-)

Back in the early 2000's I had a Nissan Titan and frequented the "Titan Talk" forum. Guys there with 4x4 would street race them in 4WD HI. They ate up all sorts of cars. Apparently the way Nissan designed the 4WD system for the Titan, it wasn't a problem on pavement. They did report faster tire wear but never that there was any mechanical issues after doing this repeatedly.

Can our Fords do the same?
On a hypothetical track?
That isn't a public street?
I dont know if anyone has tested this much. But I would imagine while there is certainly more stain on the system, if you stay in a straight line there wouldnt be too much extra wear. Especially if you maybe launch in 4wd then switch to 2wd after 2nd gear or something. Just spit balling, I have no hard evidence to support this

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I like spit balling. It's fun. It's also how we speculate and postulize new ideas. Thank you.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Going straight in 4x4 doesn't introduce any bind into the driveline since all tires are turning at the same speed.

When you start going around turns, where the inside tire and outside tire rotate at different speeds and the front and rear axles also need differential action between them, is where the 4x4 system will bind and you will discover the weakest link in the drivetrain when it goes boom.

All AWD systems have some type of clutch or viscous coupling in the transfer case so that the axles can turn independently without binding up.

In my AWD Grand Cherokee, it has a gerotor in the transfer case as well as in each axle.

It's in 2wd unless the rear starts to slip and then the speed differential spins up the gerotor which brings in the front driveline.

The V8 AWD GC will really jump off the line and REALLY surprise a lot of vehicles, if one were to indulge in such activities (honestly, I don't. I pay enough in vehicle insurance already)

Fun video of an Ecoboost F150 (launching in 4x4) embarrassing a collection of fast cars.

Last edited:

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Been tempted to swap out the transfer case with an AWD case under the wife's FX4.

Find a limited slip solution for the front diff and have a full time AWD Ranger. Not as elegant as the on-demand AWD systems commonly in use, but better than the one wheel wonder even the e-locker offers 99% of the time.

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 - Gots mods
Occupation
Network Engineer
Been tempted to swap out the transfer case with an AWD case under the wife's FX4.

Find a limited slip solution for the front diff and have a full time AWD Ranger. Not as elegant as the on-demand AWD systems commonly in use, but better than the one wheel wonder even the e-locker offers 99% of the time.
you'd have better luck doing that on a 2wd vs trying to get the ecu to work with an awd tcase

Reactions: Doc

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Glad this came up I'm thinking about going to the track. I have the E lock rear diff an 4x4. I figured I'd shut off the traction control but I'm not sure about the advanced traction control.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Glad this came up I'm thinking about going to the track. I have the E lock rear diff an 4x4. I figured I'd shut off the traction control but I'm not sure about the advanced traction control.
For sure do the long hold and turn it all off. And for sure DO NOT turn on your locker, that’s only for off road use and will limit you to something like 20mph.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
For sure do the long hold and turn it all off. And for sure DO NOT turn on your locker, that’s only for off road use and will limit you to something like 20mph.
Does the locker actually limit you to 20mph?

Or does it just disengage when you hit 20mph?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
How do you figure, I drag race my truck...the locker shuts off a 20 mph...and never race with traction control on, on the street...
Regards

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
How do you figure, I drag race my truck...the locker shuts off a 20 mph...and never race with traction control on, on the street...
Regards
Because I want my locker to last as that’s not remotely what they’re made for. And yes, I did state to turn all traction control off with the long press.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Because I want my locker to last as that’s not remotely what they’re made for. And yes, I did state to turn all traction control off with the long press.
Good for you ...
Regards

Last edited:

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
There's a well known black F150 that launches in 4HI and switches a couple seconds into his quarter mile runs. He has a YouTube channel "Boosted F-150". I haven't been following him recently, but he was running 10's and chasing 9's.
Sponsored