Jerking when in 4WD Low

turfman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightning Blue FX4 Lariat
After months and months of stalking this forum to decide if I really wanted to pull the trigger on a new Ranger, I finally did! I bought a 2020 Lighting Blue FX4, last one in the state (from what I was told). I have been out playing around in the snow with it here and there. I noticed when the truck is in 4WD low that when you shift it out of park, it somewhat bucks and jerks. Is this normal? Should I not leave it in 4WD low overnight? I am sort of new to having a 4WD specifically, as I have always had an AWD SUV. Thanks for the help and as many people have said about this forum, it is going to cost me A LOT of money!!! Well worth it I would imagine as I love this truck!
IMG_9662.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP

turfman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what are the conditions of the surface? what are you doing at the time? turning? going straight?

I can tell you now, you cant drive it like its an AWD system. you use 4H or 4L for specific circumstances.
Ranger Pride-it does not matter the surface conditions. If it is in the garage overnight on the cement floor it does it just like as if I am shifting out of park sitting in the snow. The wheels are most likely straight when this happens. As I mentioned it happens when I am in 4 L and shifting out of park into reverse or even drive.

OP
OP

turfman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In most snow/winter driving conditions (like the one in your picture), I would stick with 2H or 4H personally. Unless you're stuck or under a lot of load trying to get someone else un-stuck, then 4L isn't necessarily the correct choice. Again, in my opinion and experience.
the1mrb--Yep, usually just use 4H. The snow conditions in that picture were already pretty packed down. When I got up there, there was about 18 inches of fresh. Since I had just gotten it, was trying it all out.

Ranger Pride--tbh I did not notice, but I would assume it might have been just because it had been sitting overnight in sub zero temperatures. And it also probably got cold sitting in the driveway all day when the high was in the 20's.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
There is such a gear reduction in low it applies a lot more torque to the axles. Nothing wrong its just the way it is.
As others mentioned 4h or 2h should be plenty for those conditions. Youā€™re not climbing a mountain.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
4L should never be used on dry pavement, and honestly unless you're stuck you probably will never need it. In all my years of owning or driving 4x4s I can tell you I had to use 4 Low twice, once in snow over my bumper and once in mud up to my axles, and both starting from a dead stop.

4L (4X4 LOW) Provides mechanically locked four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels with additional gearing for increased torque multiplication. Intended only for off-road applications such as deep sand, steep grades, or pulling heavy objects.
Page 162 of the 2020 Ranger Owners Manual, page 165 in the PDF.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
I would generally agree with the above, 4hi would be preferred in most cases. For off road, 4lo is commonly used for improved throttle control for more carefully navigating difficult obstacles when slow controlled movement is needed. Outside of that, Iā€™d be in 4hi if 2hi isnā€™t getting it done.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I would generally agree with the above, 4hi would be preferred in most cases. For off road, 4lo is commonly used for improved throttle control for more carefully navigating difficult obstacles when slow controlled movement is needed. Outside of that, Iā€™d be in 4hi if 2hi isnā€™t getting it done.
With the crawl option on the FX4 I can't imagine when I'd need 4Low.

Granted, the first time I ever used 4L, other than when my father showed me the difference in our farm truck, I had my 95 Ranger buried in mud up to the axles. I had to dig a little hole in order to lock the hubs. That sucker drove out of the mud like nothing.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Every 4wd Iā€˜ve owned bucks a bit when turning at slow speed. You just have to go easy until you straighten out. Also you can shift to 2wd for the turn then back to 4wd.
Maybe Iā€™m missing something here...

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Every 4wd Iā€˜ve owned bucks a bit when turning at slow speed. You just have to go easy until you straighten out. Also you can shift to 2wd for the turn then back to 4wd.
Maybe Iā€™m missing something here...
Heā€™s talking about it jerking when he goes from Park to Gear when the truck is in 4lo. Mine does it too, just assumed it was normal.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Aside from the comment about putting the truck in park to get out and spot on a 4wd trail, I don't see why I would ever want/need to park the truck and leave it in 4lo. Definitely not overnight. Regardless of whether it does anything mechanically to the truck or not, leaving it makes it too easy to forget about, which you definitely don't want for dry, stable conditions.

I wouldn't even leave it in 4hi overnight. When I'm done with needing 4wd, I turn it back to 2wd. My driveway (shown in profile pic) requires using 4hi to get out when there's even a little bit of snow/ice. It's just that steep. But 4wd gets turns off as soon as I don't need it anymore.

OP
OP

turfman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for responding. I agree about probably never needing it. Heck I was in 4H going through about 2 feet of snow on an unmaintained forest service road over the weekend and never had an issue. It was just more about finding out if a little jerk was normal, just in case it was something I needed to bring up with the dealer at my first oil change.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Heā€™s talking about it jerking when he goes from Park to Gear when the truck is in 4lo. Mine does it too, just assumed it was normal.
OK....sorry I missed that...hmmm, I'll have to check mine. I sure don't get into 4LO much if ever. I've definitely run her in 4LO and don't remember any jerking. I'm in 4HI a lot here in Colorado. Whenever it gets icy.
Sponsored