Squealing while going up an incline for a while.

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Cultivation technician II
Vehicle Showcase
My truck is starting to exhibit this squealing sound when driving up any inclination for more than half a mile. The truck is silent on level or down hill stretches. Does not seem to be coming from the engine, when I Rev the engine on an incline in park everything sounds healthy.I have an appointment set with the service department may 6th but wanted to see if anyone could help shed any light on the issue. I have an eibach 3" lift kit and 285-70-17 tires. I'm thinking it's a result of a bad drive shaft center bearing but when I apply a thick silicon based gel pray lube it has no effect. Anyone experiencing anything like this ?
Sponsored

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
With the lift you've changed the driveshaft angle so it's very possible that's the source. When you're going uphill, you're further effecting that angle change as the weight is shifted towards the rear of the truck.

YuG-RegnaR-22'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat (coming soon)
Occupation
Engineering support
I'd put my bets on a drivline issue. Looking at the universal joints. Carrier bearing should also be looked at...

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
My center bearing went bad but it was not an overly intrusive noise. It was more of a consistent low level grinding, present even when the engine was turned off and I was rolling downhill in neutral. I have a 2.5" RC level and the service advisor said it shouldn't have any effect on driveline geometry. Divreshaft replacement was covered under warranty. good luck.

OP
OP
Kawffin

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So the service department has had my truck for about a month now but they've learned its the carrier (maybe center) bearing in the differential. The part is on back order but they were able to get it from another dealer in 3 days. Should have my truck back next week.

OP
OP
Kawffin

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So the service department has had my truck for about a month now but they've learned its the carrier (maybe center) bearing in the differential. The part is on back order but they were able to get it from another dealer in 3 days. Should have my truck back next week.
They replaced the carrier bearing that holds the drive shaft but the squeal is still there.
Sponsored