Speaker suggestion-are tweeters needed?

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Hello, I’m double checking some advice Crutchfield gave me. I want to improve the sound in my non B&O system to get better quality and depth. I am planning on a Kicker Key 180.4 and replace the door speakers. If needed I was thinking of a 8” powered Kicker sub behind the seat.

Crutchfield recommended Polk DB 652’s https://www.crutchfield.com/I-rETNc108/p_107DB652/item.html front and rear with the stock tweeters left in place.

I’m not an audio guy but I do enjoy good quality sound...or Better than what I have now. With that amp and speakers, how important are the tweeters in the scenario? Any alternate choices that the audio guys on here who think might be better?

Thanks. I’ve got some time on my hands now so I might as well do something.
Sponsored

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Just remember highs are directional so a more vivid separation. And the bass goes everywhere.
I think tweeters are needed. Especially on some audio stations.
I've noticed XM & FM radio sounds mostly flat with stock speakers on my non B&O, but when I plug in my phone or use my jump drive, it really wakes up the stock system.
My future plans are go with your choice which is a good one.

OP
OP
deeve

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Thank you. I do not listen to radio stations much but do listen to SiriusXM and my iPhone. The satellite radio really is pretty flat sounding. Thank you

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Hello, I’m double checking some advice Crutchfield gave me. I want to improve the sound in my non B&O system to get better quality and depth. I am planning on a Kicker Key 180.4 and replace the door speakers. If needed I was thinking of a 8” powered Kicker sub behind the seat.

Crutchfield recommended Polk DB 652’s https://www.crutchfield.com/I-rETNc108/p_107DB652/item.html front and rear with the stock tweeters left in place.

I’m not an audio guy but I do enjoy good quality sound...or Better than what I have now. With that amp and speakers, how important are the tweeters in the scenario? Any alternate choices that the audio guys on here who think might be better?

Thanks. I’ve got some time on my hands now so I might as well do something.
I would never recommend installing coaxials in the doors and then leaving tweeters in the pillars. If that's what Crutchfield told you to do, that's just plain bad advice.

What happens is you have two drivers producing short wavelength sound at the same time which interferes with each other as they get to be different distances from your ears. And it gets worse at higher frequencies.

The effect is called comb filtering. And your effective frequency response in the range where both tweeters operate will look something like this:
ptd-f5.gif

Move your ears a couple inches and the peaks ad valleys move to different frequencies.

So in summary, if you want new speakers up front get separates and work out a way to replace the tweeter in the pillar with the new one. One tweeter per side is the only way to do it.

OP
OP
deeve

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Thanks @Zaph You understand this a lot better than I do. Would unplugging the tweeter and going with the recommended speakers be a decent option or better to go with something like this . The reason for wanting to avoid a tweeter was because it looks like they cannot be plug and play or done without damaging the factory harness. To be honest, I have not pulled the little cover over the tweeter to see what I am dealing with yet though.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Well it would be a more workable option than leaving the tweeter plugged in, but consider that having the tweeter in the pillars does wonders for soundstaging and imaging. I'd highly recommend proper separates over coaxials with a disconnected pillar tweeter.

There are some folks around here who found unflanged tweeters that will fit inside the original tweeter's mount, without cutting. Have a search around the forum and see if you can find them.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
It sounds like you are considering the 'direct fit' coaxial speaker. That same company makes a component version for the front doors. I'm considering the coax version to replace the whizzer cone stock speakers in the rear doors. Having the tweeters in the stock locations provides better clarity and separation, it's worth the trouble to stay with component speakers up front.

OP
OP
deeve

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I saw some PowerBass one listed as direct fit, but had not considered those. Is that what you are talking about? I will have to research the ones with the tweeters

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I saw some PowerBass one listed as direct fit, but had not considered those. Is that what you are talking about? I will have to research the ones with the tweeters
Yes, I think it was the PowerBass brand. That's the only 'direct fit' model they carry and look like the practical upgrade to the Sony stock stereo. If your goal is more amplification there are adapters to add amps and component speakers that will be superior. There was a time that I would merrily overhaul the entire stereo system, and i would chime in with others that sound deadening will improve the S/N ratio and be an instant upgrade not mention make the truck feel more refined. On the PowerBass website you can find both the component version and the coaxial. I don't know what the frequency response of the stock tweeter is but the stock rear speakers only feature a whizzer cone for highs. I had been comparing all kinds of component combos as well, but the PowerBass may be simpler for me (and adequate performance witht he stock head unit) with the matched components and the Ford/Mercury connectors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
deeve

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Thanks for finding those. Crutchfield has them here. They are not recommended for Rangers but if you read the comments someone bought them for 2019 Ranger and they fit fine.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Interesting that those Powerbass systems appear to be direct fit. Right down to the frame mounted connectors. deeve are you going to try those? Report back on how they sound. Not a whole lot of people talking about them,

OP
OP
deeve

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Interesting that those Powerbass systems appear to be direct fit. Right down to the frame mounted connectors. deeve are you going to try those? Report back on how they sound. Not a whole lot of people talking about them,
I am strongly thinking about it. Seems like for what I want (cleaner sound with more depth) and the ability to amp they fit the bill.

Ryan Plain

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I am running the Powerbass components in the front & the coaxials in the rear. I have to say, I am impressed with their sound on the stock deck power. However, you can tell at about volume 24ish that these speakers would benefit from an amplifier. My plan is to hit the speakers with the Kicker Key 200.4 in the near future.
As far as installation, I had to remove the foam ring on the front speakers. They were a bit too tall to fit cleanly behind the door. The rears fit without issue.
I have a set of Fast Rings & sound deadener on order just to clean up the sound a bit.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
Instead of trying to replace factory tweeters, you might consider modifying them, on my previous vehicle, a ‘16 Subaru Crosstrek I modified the original ones which maintained the mounting flange. Here is a link to the discussion that inspired me to do it myself: https://www.clubcrosstrek.com/threads/the-20-tweeter-upgrade.1328
I just picked my new ‘20 Lariat with the B&O system, and the modified tweeters in my Crosstrek were just a bit “brighter”.

Edit: I am attaching a few photos of what it took to modify the tweeters on my Crosstrek.

IMG_0595R.jpg

IMG_0597R.jpg

IMG_0598R.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: